Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times

Advertisements

Cabrillo National Monument (Lighthouse)

It isn't free, but according to the website, the current fee is $5 per car not person, so it would be very inexpensive for a family. It offers a great view of the city skyline, and the harbor. You can see small pleasure boats to US Naval vessels from submarines to aircraft carriers, depending on which ships are in port. It's particularly nice if one of the large ships is entering or exiting the harbor. You may also have an opportunity to watch navy aircraft taking off from Coronado Naval Air Station.

It's a great location for a picnic. Seriously, make a picnic of it. Bring a big towel and windbreakers. If it's windy it can be chilly.

Visit the National Park website for directions, and more detail on what is available in the way of tours, trails, and activities.

Cabrillo National Monument - Fees // US-Parks.com

Beaches: Besides the regular beaches visit the Dog Beaches in Coronado and Ocean Beach. The dogs are always having a good time which is fun to watch. It would be more fun if you had your own dog, but maybe you could ask someone if your kids could toss the stick or the frisbee for his dog. I even saw a cat on a leash one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
I second the Cabrillo suggestion. It's something a lot of tourists don't go to because they just don't know about it. They go to the Zoo, to Sea World, Balboa Park, go to some chain restaurant and buy a t-shirt that says "Generic Chain Restaurant San Diego" and think they've experienced the city.

No, you haven't. You haven't even scratched the surface.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
You can cross the Coronado Bridge (free), park on the street in front of the Hotel Del (free), go inside the Hotel Del (free), sit on the patio facing the ocean view behind the hotel (free). You can do the same at most oceanfront resorts in SD.

Food and drinks are extra.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Great ideas everyone, thanks, we're planning to fit in as many free things as we can, not including gas of course. I'm actually relieved that we're skipping all the big attractions this year, it was always a rush to fit everything in on those cards anyway. This will be a more free style, laid back vacation, can't wait, we're leaving here on 8/16, almost here.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
We're going to check out the Marilyn sculpture too.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...palm-springs/1

Last edited by asitshouldbe; 08-05-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM

182 posts, read 323,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It's a bit of a drive, and it will be uber-hot in the desert, but this is awesome to see (lots of huge outdoor sculpture): Welcome To Galleta Meadows Estate
And if you go out that far, don't miss the Anza Borrego Desert State Park visitor center.
Hiking.
Picnics.
A drive to the top of Mt. Soledad provides a splendid view.
Mission Bay Park is a nice place to spend some hours.
A drive across the Coronado bridge is a short scenic tour, and it's (I think) free ... or is there still a small toll?
Is the tour of the Hotel Del free - I'm not sure
Walking around Old Town.
Rancho Penasquitos Lagoon Wildlife Sanctuary - likely to be livelier in the evenings.
The Tijuana Slough Wildlife Refuge, and they have a nice small visitor center.
Watching the parasail pilots at the Torrey Pines Gliderport.
Mission Beach.
The piers (Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, Imperial Beach, Oceanside).
Mission Trails Park, which also has a nice visitor center.
Good suggestions! All free. I would add the Farmer's market in Little Italy. You could spend anywhere from $2 for coffee to $10 for produce, but just to look around and hang out in that atmosphere is cool. GF and I loved it and you have nice views.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
It's not free, but it's cheap and it will be a lot of fun. Rent some bikes and take the ferry to Coronado. Spend the day riding up and down the Silver Strand. If you're feeling really ambitious, you can do a complete loop.

It's a lot of fun.

San Diego Bay Bike Route

Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
Good suggestions! All free. I would add the Farmer's market in Little Italy. You could spend anywhere from $2 for coffee to $10 for produce, but just to look around and hang out in that atmosphere is cool. GF and I loved it and you have nice views.
Little Italy Farmer's Market is my favorite. It used to be Hillcrest, but you can't be LI's setting. Is it me, or are there just as many dogs as there are people sometimes?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Walking around Seaport Village is free. A person could spend an entire afternoon there window shopping or enjoying the beautiful coastal weather San Diego has to offer. Of course, the many shops & restaurants will entice you to spend money, but merely walking around and taking in the scenery won't do any damage to the wallet.

Another place I like to frequent is Imperial Beach, especially driving the route from San Diego over the bridge through Coronado, then down highway 75. I find Imperial Beach to be much less crowded than Ocean Beach or Mission Beach ... so that alone makes it more enjoyable. There's a certain quaintness about Imperial Beach too. It's nothing upscale or fancy, but the town is pretty charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego