Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,730,217 times

Advertisements

Right. At first I thought it would mean thousands per household per year, but that is not the case.

Maybe some good will come of it, like changes in the law so that school districts are prohibited from making these really bad loan decisions, like municipalities are prohibited from doing so.

Maybe voters will be more cautious and skeptical when they vote for bond measures.

It has already affected me. My kids' HS sent out a letter asking for a $250 donation per family. I was going to give. That was a week before this news broke. That letter went into the trash. I'm not confident that they would spend my donation wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Right. At first I thought it would mean thousands per household per year, but that is not the case.

Maybe some good will come of it, like changes in the law so that school districts are prohibited from making these really bad loan decisions, like municipalities are prohibited from doing so.

Maybe voters will be more cautious and skeptical when they vote for bond measures.

It has already affected me. My kids' HS sent out a letter asking for a $250 donation per family. I was going to give. That was a week before this news broke. That letter went into the trash. I'm not confident that they would spend my donation wisely.

Exactly futbol. I think many people when the story broke didn't really know how it would affect them. Still, it's a HORRIBLE deal and definitely I think the two board members up for election should NOT get re-elected and people would be crazy to vote them back in. Also, the other members that voted for this should also either not run again or get booted out as well when their terms expire.

I do think at least in California this sort of thing will be difficult to happen again. Before this, no one really knew this sort of thing was going on. It took a newspaper reporter in another State to shed light on this situation so shame on California.

It's also a good lesson for people to pay more attention and not trust the school district Board or also any oversight committees or at least ask more questions. However, the sad thing is the typical person doesn't even know what their APR is on their credit card. They are not interested or don't even care. So imagine how uninformed they are on something like this. It's sad really.

Last year our daughter's school asked for not only financial donations but also to bring in supplies and we always did. I do think at the individual level the money would be more wisely spent but you never know. Last year I donated generously to her school. They had these silent auctions and my wife and I donated some things.

We will do the same this year as I do think they will put it to good use. I think parent participation and the willingness for people to go above and beyond the "call of duty" is what makes the Poway Unified School District so great.

Shame on the School Board for passing something like that and shame on the entities like the San Diego County Taxpayers Association (their advice to me is worthless after this) that also recommended this measure. But I wouldn't necessarily hold these poor decisions against your kid's school.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Exactly futbol. I think many people when the story broke didn't really know how it would affect them. Still, it's a HORRIBLE deal and definitely I think the two board members up for election should NOT get re-elected and people would be crazy to vote them back in. Also, the other members that voted for this should also either not run again or get booted out as well when their terms expire.

I do think at least in California this sort of thing will be difficult to happen again. Before this, no one really knew this sort of thing was going on. It took a newspaper reporter in another State to shed light on this situation so shame on California.
Seriously, what is happening to investigative journalism?

Quote:
It's also a good lesson for people to pay more attention and not trust the school district Board or also any oversight committees or at least ask more questions. However, the sad thing is the typical person doesn't even know what their APR is on their credit card. They are not interested or don't even care. So imagine how uninformed they are on something like this. It's sad really.

Last year our daughter's school asked for not only financial donations but also to bring in supplies and we always did. I do think at the individual level the money would be more wisely spent but you never know. Last year I donated generously to her school. They had these silent auctions and my wife and I donated some things.

We will do the same this year as I do think they will put it to good use. I think parent participation and the willingness for people to go above and beyond the "call of duty" is what makes the Poway Unified School District so great.
For many school bonds, I think you could swam billion for million and the measure would still get about the same Y/N ratio. To be fair, the measure authorized the board to negotiate a bond at a 'legal' rate, which some might mistakenly interpret as reasonable.

Our school asks for supplies, too. We gave them things like hand sanitizers, masking tape, markers, etc.

I loaned the robotics club at RBHS $750 to buy a motor. They paid it back. I volunteer over there helping the highly motivated robotics students design the software. I had to get a background check, hepatitis test, and fill out a bunch of paper work to be allowed to do that.

The demographic of the families that make up PUSD help attract decent teachers and ensure a quality learning environment.

Quote:
Shame on the School Board for passing something like that and shame on the entities like the San Diego County Taxpayers Association (their advice to me is worthless after this) that also recommended this measure. But I wouldn't necessarily hold these poor decisions against your kid's school.
Those two will not be getting my vote.

I hope that someone starts a recall for the others, if they have more than a year left on their board tenure.

edit: Forgot to mention, I think that this "San Diego County Taxpayers Association" is really named that way to trick voters. There are multiple 'taxpayer associations'. Many people confuse this with the association that advocates reform, and that is by design. They are similarly named and with different agendas.

Last edited by futbol; 08-28-2012 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Our school asks for supplies, too. We gave them things like hand sanitizers, masking tape, markers, etc.

I loaned the robotics club at RBHS $750 to buy a motor. They paid it back. I volunteer over there helping the highly motivated robotics students design the software. I had to get a background check, hepatitis test, and fill out a bunch of paper work to be allowed to do that.

The demographic of the families that make up PUSD help attract decent teachers and ensure a quality learning environment.

Those two will not be getting my vote.

I hope that someone starts a recall for the others, if they have more than a year left on their board tenure.

edit: Forgot to mention, I think that this "San Diego County Taxpayers Association" is really named that way to trick voters. There are multiple 'taxpayer associations'. Many people confuse this with the association that advocates reform, and that is by design. They are similarly named and with different agendas.
+1

So so true futbol!

I didn't just mean it's great that families in the PUSD donate money but also supplies like you also do and also TIME. My wife and I also volunteered at our daughter's school. Actually TONS of families did.

What's so telling about how great the PUSD is the parent involvement and volunteers. I think I posted about this before but last year when we were registering to volunteer, we had to get TB skin tests. Man, the line was out the door with parents lined up. They literally had about 10 people reading TB skin tests and there was still a packed line and they had several different days to do this and the nurses reading the skin tests told us almost every day was a long line.

So great to hear about what you did for the robotics club. I always get excited when I see and hear stories about that in the PUSD. It makes me feel all the better that I decided to buy a house in the PUSD and totally content in my decision to buy in this District.

I honestly do believe the parent involvement, volunteering, donating funds will always keep PUSD one of the stellar school districts in the San Diego area.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,605,276 times
HOLY CARP

That's paying back 1000 dollars for every dollar borrowed? That has to be illegal in some way or another.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
HOLY CARP

That has to be illegal in some way or another.
It IS illegal in several states but apparently not yet illegal in California, which I agree it should NOT be allowed.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Quote:
+1

So so true futbol!

I didn't just mean it's great that families in the PUSD donate money but also supplies like you also do and also TIME. My wife and I also volunteered at our daughter's school. Actually TONS of families did.

What's so telling about how great the PUSD is the parent involvement and volunteers. I think I posted about this before but last year when we were registering to volunteer, we had to get TB skin tests. Man, the line was out the door with parents lined up. They literally had about 10 people reading TB skin tests and there was still a packed line and they had several different days to do this and the nurses reading the skin tests told us almost every day was a long line.

So great to hear about what you did for the robotics club. I always get excited when I see and hear stories about that in the PUSD. It makes me feel all the better that I decided to buy a house in the PUSD and totally content in my decision to buy in this District.

I honestly do believe the parent involvement, volunteering, donating funds will always keep PUSD one of the stellar school districts in the San Diego area.
To parents in other school districts, does all of this involvement NOT happen in those school districts?

Isnt all this volunteering what the PTA does? I am confused...

Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
To parents in other school districts, does all of this involvement NOT happen in those school districts?

Shmoov,

I have no idea about other school districts. All I know is I met several people that send their kids to various schools in the public San Diego school system and they don't seem impressed at all.

However, I'm sure many other school districts in North County do really well with volunteering and families donating money, etc.

I always guessed (maybe wrongly) that the PUSD had a higher % of households where both parents didn't need to work or maybe even worked from home. I remember picking up my daughter last year in pre-school and many many of the wives didn't work. They were stay at home moms.

I'm not sure and I'd be interested to hear the answer to your question as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

Not sure if it does or not. I grew up in a school district where maybe ~25% of the parents would participate in the PTA or go to parent-teacher meetings, and a smaller number would get involved in academic activities at the school. Seems like a far greater proportion of parents are involved in PUSD.

In the robotics program I have volunteered for there are so many other parents and other non-faculty volunteers there after school that I hardly get to do anything.

When my son was in middle school they had a special day of 'lunch with dad' (which was not limited to men). We would show up around noon and eat cafeteria food and experience playground 'recess'. It was crowded with dads who took off of work to be there.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Quote:
Shmoov,

I have no idea about other school districts. All I know is I met several people that send their kids to various schools in the public San Diego school system and they don't seem impressed at all.

However, I'm sure many other school districts in North County do really well with volunteering and families donating money, etc.

I always guessed (maybe wrongly) that the PUSD had a higher % of households where both parents didn't need to work or maybe even worked from home. I remember picking up my daughter last year in pre-school and many many of the wives didn't work. They were stay at home moms.

I'm not sure and I'd be interested to hear the answer to your question as well.
That makes a lot of sense to me and think its great for that school district to have that kind of parental involvement.

Quote:
Not sure if it does or not. I grew up in a school district where maybe ~25% of the parents would participate in the PTA or go to parent-teacher meetings, and a smaller number would get involved in academic activities at the school. Seems like a far greater proportion of parents are involved in PUSD.

In the robotics program I have volunteered for there are so many other parents and other non-faculty volunteers there after school that I hardly get to do anything.

When my son was in middle school they had a special day of 'lunch with dad' (which was not limited to men). We would show up around noon and eat cafeteria food and experience playground 'recess'. It was crowded with dads who took off of work to be there.
Wow. Yeah I remember as a kid there were parents involved with the PTA etc, but I have never heard of donating utencils, materials etc. Obviously times are different than back in the 80s.
I like those programs like lunch with dad/mom.
Really nice to hear that the district and schools are so open to that level of volunteerism and participation. I know as a kid once and now an adult that parental involvement in my life (whether I like it or not lol) became something I appreciated much later and that I am thankful for.

Good stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego