Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,408 times

Advertisements

Hi i have a question, hope someone can answer. I live in San Diego, c.a I have section 8. I rented from the san diego housing commission. I gave proper notice to move out (i lived there for 1 year, lease was up). I lived in a 3bedroom 2 bath town house. Before i moved section conducted a inspection of the unit. (this is standard when moving in or moving out of a unit) there were 2 cabinets that needed fixing (1 metal hinge was off of each) the inspector deemed it as the managements responsibility to fix. I had left several messages (via phone and email) for the manager to fix this, i never received a response. I had a 700.00 deposit on this unit. I received by mail a list of damages for the unit ( i moved out on 10/18 i received the notice on 11/08, post marked on 11/07). The manager claimed she paid 702.00 in cleaning the unit. I didn't leave the unit dirty. I have pictures of a clean unit. i couldn't believe she claims she paid 702.00 in cleaning services!!! The 2 cabinets (that the inspector deemed as her responsibility) 150.00 each (they only needed a hinge replace) i think she is over charging me. what can i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 AM

654 posts, read 1,250,640 times
Normally, I would say, you got a good deal getting section Free (H) and to forget it.....but since you left the home in good condition, and the inspection came out good, I say you file in small claims court, for the full amount (you'll probably get half based on the hinges) but it seems like you will win based on the inflated prices.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:07 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Go to Small Claims Court. If you are in Section 8 housing the time v cost factors will make it worth your while.

Cleaning costs in general are legitimate, but $400 worth of cleaning costs sounds unreasonable. It's been a while since I moved out of an apartment, so I'm not quite sure what a legitimate cleaning cost would be for a 3/2.

If you have a picture of the hinges and can find an advertisement for their replacement cost, I bet you could reduce that $300 down to the cost of the hinges plus 1 hour of the cost of a handyman. If you have the inspector's report that deemed this a management issue, that may be enough to win on this issue.

Overall, just going to court should cut the deposit costs in half, and if the judge feels like the landlord has abused the deposit process, he may find every excuse possible to whittle it down further.

For the record, I have had personal experience in Small Claims on this issue. Present your case coolly and with as much documentation as you can muster and you will get a solid portion of your money back.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
I agree, small claims is probably your best option at this point. But first send a certified letter to your landlord addressing your concerns, and stating that if he doesn't change his tune you'll take him to small claims. Give him a chance to remedy the situation first- it may not work, but if it does it'll save you a bunch of trouble

And next time, get everything in writing. Any damages you find when moving in? In writing, with pictures, signed by both you and the landlord. Move-out inspection? You and the landlord both do the inspection, and you document everything in writing, with pictures, signed by both you and the landlord. They can still try to over charge you, but a paper trail makes everything so much easier.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:24 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
I would also report them to section 8. They don't take these things lightly.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
This belongs in the Renter's Forum.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 PM

401 posts, read 444,578 times
Not saying you're right or wrong, but my aunt runs a few places as rentals, and she is always complaining how much the cleaners charge her. She is a very frugal person with keen business sense, but honestly, the cleaning biz knows they can charge whatever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: