Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,877,364 times

Advertisements

The New York Times has a great piece on just how base and self serving the Doug Manchester owned Union Tribune is. It really has become nothing more than a worthless rag which no longer even follows basic journalism standards. I don't think anyone should buy a copy ever. Any way, the NYT's article is well worth a read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/bu...ives.html?_r=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 PM

6,883 posts, read 8,865,645 times
With all due respect (read that as no respect), he is both shameful and hateful.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,966,207 times
I routinely read the Wall Street Journal, so I've got no problems with people putting views opposed to mine in their EDITORIAL SECTION. In fact, I actually like reading them so I can get an idea of where people are coming from.

But when you say things like Obama is the worst President ever -- really, worse than some guy named Hoover? -- or you fire someone because he insists that any stadium built be a good deal for the taxpayers, then you've crossed the line.

The people who are left at the UT are the kinds of people who can't even get the weapon in a murder case right. I was on a jury which convicted someone of a murder/attempted murder and hung on two other murder charges. The reporter said in the second case that a shot gun was the murder weapon. Wrong. No shotguns were used in either murder. It was all handguns. I wrote to her, and she fixed it, but did she mention the correction? Nope.

You'd find better journalism at a college newspaper. Hell, you might find better journalism in a high school one.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,329,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I routinely read the Wall Street Journal, so I've got no problems with people putting views opposed to mine in their EDITORIAL SECTION. In fact, I actually like reading them so I can get an idea of where people are coming from.

But when you say things like Obama is the worst President ever -- really, worse than some guy named Hoover? -- .
really, you dont have to go THAT far back . Still my jaw is on the ground the few times I have read this paper, especially lately....and I have endured other prize journalistic attempts in the Cleveland plaindealer and Tampa tribune.

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 08-12-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,357,203 times
Funny but I don't typically even read the local newspapers as I get subscriptions to the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal as I typically focus on national newspapers.

But how ironic I just called this morning to start a subscription to the UT San Diego.... sounds like it will be some interesting reading!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 AM

563 posts, read 1,266,376 times
Wow. I didn't even realize USA Today even delivered anymore except for really big cities like Chicago, NY and L.A. How much is that running a month?

With the UT, the quality of the paper started going down for me about 5 yrs ago. How it is now is pathetic. I mean, every story has to have a San Diego connection. They did a story about KISS, including an interview with Paul Stanley, and aside being rife with incorrect info, they had to go out of their way to mention that Ace Frehley is a current SD resident.

Do I care? As a huge KISS fan, yes. Does it matter in the context of the story they were telling? Absolutely not.

My wife keeps getting the subscription renewed strictly for the coupons and ads on Sundays and just out of habit, but I don't even read it anymore. Such rubbish.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,877,364 times
There isn't even that many coupons in the Sunday paper any more as most companies now use online coupon deals.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 AM

50,063 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Well, if you like the Chargers you gotta like tribune

After Mr. Manchester bought the newspaper last November, he brought in Mr. Lynch, a radio executive who, like Mr. Manchester, believed that a new stadium for the Chargers was crucial to the city’s future. In an interview soon after the purchase, Mr. Lynch told Mr. Davis the sports pages should advocate for a new stadium and “call out those who don’t as obstructionists.”

Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,966,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

After Mr. Manchester bought the newspaper last November, he brought in Mr. Lynch, a radio executive who, like Mr. Manchester, believed that a new stadium for the Chargers was crucial to the city’s future. In an interview soon after the purchase, Mr. Lynch told Mr. Davis the sports pages should advocate for a new stadium and “call out those who don’t as obstructionists.”
And that is exactly why Tim Sullivan got fired -- because he said that the deal had to make sense for taxpayers. God forbid that something we plunk a billion bucks down for make sense for us! How DARE anyone question socializing the costs and privatizing the profits.

Why, why, why, that's...uh, exactly what a journalist is supposed to do?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,447,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Then as a Raider fan i gotta quit reading the UT
The UT has been on a downward slide even before being bought out!
My guess is that their will be no newspapers in the next 5 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: