Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 19,860 times

Advertisements

Hello! My boyfriend and I have been living in San Diego for almost a year now in Clairemont. Soon, we will be moving to North Park to get closer to our friends. I am a little nervous about crime and safety over there though. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? The place we found is pretty much just beneath Normal heights and right next to City heights but, still in North Park. Just west of the 805 off El Cajon. I would really appreciate any advice or thoughts on this location! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saengthawan View Post
Hello! My boyfriend and I have been living in San Diego for almost a year now in Clairemont. Soon, we will be moving to North Park to get closer to our friends. I am a little nervous about crime and safety over there though. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? The place we found is pretty much just beneath Normal heights and right next to City heights but, still in North Park. Just west of the 805 off El Cajon. I would really appreciate any advice or thoughts on this location! Thank you!!
North of El cajon or South? How far is "just West"? A couple of blocks in each direction can count over there. Generally you should be fine, though, it's just that some blocks are nicer than others.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM

South, In between El cajon and University. but on the same block as El Cajon, right across the street from Lips on El Cajon. I am mainly concerned because it is a house and I'm used to living in an apartment complex. Thank you for responding!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saengthawan View Post
South, In between El cajon and University. but on the same block as El Cajon, right across the street from Lips on El Cajon. I am mainly concerned because it is a house and I'm used to living in an apartment complex. Thank you for responding!
I'd try to stay at least a block off of El Cajon, if you can.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
I live 1/2 a block off of El Cajon on Wilson, behind North Park Produce. I've been living here for just over four years, and have never had any type of crime problem. The area is advertised as North Park with a North Park zip code, but it's really City Heights. The only problems where I live are with the manager.

Last edited by moved; 08-16-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I live 1/2 a block off of El Cajon on Wilson, behind North Park Produce. I've been living here for just over four years, and have never had any type of crime problem. The area is advertised as North Park with a North Park zip code, but it's really City Heights. The only problems where I live are with the manager.
My friends who still live on illinois st 1/2 block north of El Cajon (basically where the OP is talking about) have had a lot of issues in the last couple of years with prostitutes and related crimes. Not enough to make them move or anything... But Ten's nightclub, the strip joint right there, isn't exactly the classiest place in town and definitely adds a bit of seediness to the surrounding couple of blocks. There was a shooting there last year, too. When I lived there 5-6 years ago it wasn't as bad but still a little hinkey at times.

I won't argue that the area as a whole is fine in general, you know i'm an advocate for the Cetre City area as a whole. But you also know as well as anyone that the area can be block-by-block, and that particular couple of blocks adjacent to El Cajon have their own set of issues.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've spent a lot of time around there between runs to North Park Produce, Pancho Villas, Mexicali Tacos, Super Cocina, Germans Taco Truck and so on, and agree it seems pretty mellow for an urban neighborhood. It think its mostly modest immigrant families trying to acclimate. Now over by lips, that's a prostitute zone. I don't think there is a lot violent crime, but the petty annoyances could get old. I lived in a so called adult entertainment district in Cleveland and did not feel unsafe. As a homeowner it does nothing for your property value, as a renter it probably is not horrible... But not the best experience either.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
What does 'safety' mean to you? If you are a drunk, druggie or like to hang out on the streets late night you are gonna find a lot of trouble. If you don't do any of those things but get annoyed when it happens nearby, you're going to really hate living there. San Diego is a pretty safe town, meaning that for the most part, you aren't going to be randomly attacked by a stranger on the street if you are not some sort of sketchball. But that doesn't also meant that there aren't a couple of sketchy dudes operating nearby at all times, practically wherever you are.

The reality is that its been nearly 40 years and SDPD still hasn't gotten a handle on El Cajon Blvd, it's not something thats going to change soon.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
Now over by lips, that's a prostitute zone

The "prostitute zone" is most of ECB. It starts at Park Blvd, and goes up. When I worked for SDUSD, I'd see the hookers in the early morning (6am) around there, and I've seen them as far up as 40th Street. They also utilize the alleys and parking lots at night.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Thank you everyone for responding.I was mostly concerned about being attacked or having my house robbed. I'm sure it will take some getting used the prostitutes but, overall not too bad of a an area. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled, pepper spray at my side and stay off ECB at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego