Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 PM

58 posts, read 176,793 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm looking for some fun stuff to do with my daughter that is not expensive. there is a really cool park in Carlsbad that I like, right next to a dog park, and there is Java Mama in Mira Mesa I like. There is also Kids Town in Carlsbad I think. I heard there is a kids place in PB? Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 01:26 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Since you mentioned "is not expensive" I will hold off from mentioning all the usual mentions like Seaworld, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, etc. (Although I think anyone with kids in San Diego should definitely get an annual San Diego Zoo membership...well worth it).

If your child is only 2 they may really love Kidding Around in Rancho Penasquitos. Our 2 year old loves it. It's only $9 for admission and adults are always free. If you happen to have a birthday coming up for your child, I believe you can enter it on their website and get a free day of admission (website below). Also, I think they sell punch cards for multiple entries. My wife takes them and their friends there for play dates and they always love it.

For mom and dad they have wi-fi access there if you want to answer a few emails while they are playing.

Kidding Around | "Life is more fun when you are kidding around!" | Life is more fun when you are kidding around!

Also, you have the obvious things like going to the beach which is free. However, I will say I'm surprised there aren't more families with simple kites. We take our kids to the beach every week and even with a cheapo $3.99 kite from Ralph's they have hours and hours of fun. Even at 2 years old, your daughter should be able to hold it. Our kids LOVE kite flying at the beach. We were just at La Jolla and Del Mar last week and this week flying the kite and it's something fun and free.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM

384 posts, read 980,913 times
I always recommend the San Diego Botanic Garden for young kids. The Seeds of Wonder garden is great for little kids with lots of outdoor hands-on things to do. Kids 2 and under are free and adults are $12 + $2 parking. We have a family membership for around $75 a year. We get a lot of use out of it.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM

70 posts, read 233,974 times
Hilton Head Park in El Cajon is popular. It's $3.00 to use the spray pad portion of it.
Balboa Park is a lot of fun too.
And I have to second getting a zoo membership. Absolutely worth it!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
um, the beach?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Let's go to the beach, each
Let's go get away
They say, what they gonna say?
Have a drink, clink, found the bud light
Bad ******* like me, is hard to come by

Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
Children's museum!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I've got a two year - she loves, loves the beach. It's a pretty cheap day - less parking (sometimes free) and snacks (we do Subway usu with a coupon) and sunscreen.

I always try and write down things she might enjoy and incorporate them into our errand running. We shop at the Eastlake Marketplace so she can go to the turtle pond. And our mall (Otay Ranch Towne Center) has ALOT of activites thru the year. I've been known to duck into the pet store and let her look at the animals there when we're getting stuff for our cats...

She also enjoys the Birch Aqaurium, it's a nice size for a toddler.. Plus there's the seals in La Jolla.

Farmers Markets! Today is ours (Otay Ranch Towne Center). So all dayI've been hearing a chant of " 'busas, llama and bounce!" (She loves to eat Sambusas, see the Llama and go in the Bounce House). We try and hit some of the other cities Farmers Markets since ours is a little light on actual farmers....

My daughter has a small net and container for bugs - bug hunting can be done pretty much at any park and she loves it, we have a little bug identification book.

She loves Bubbles at the park ...we also bring her trike down there for her to ride. And she loves to throw/catch/kick her ball - we started her with one of those bumpy ones, easier for her to grip...

The cost of the Zoo/Wild Animal Park is a bit upfront but it's pretty cheap if you go often (we go at least once a month) and bring your own food and drinks...

Chula Vista Nature Center is also nice with a little one. We've yet to go when it's crowded and since you ride a bus from the parking lot - there aren't really any cars there so I can let her out of the stroller and not worry.

All the area libraries have great storytimes and activities....

Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
My kids used to love the puppet shows at Balboa Park.

Also, Home Depot has kid projects for free on a weekend day once a month at most (all?) of their stores. Call them for times.

Michaels also has kid projects from time to time.

Totally agree on the Children's Museum.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM

148 posts, read 279,618 times
get a zoo membership around $100, kids 3 & under are free admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego