Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They should have left and came back in the morning so they could be certain it was the right bear. For all they know another bear moved in after they scared the killer off.
The news stories I heard last night said "Medical tests confirmed it was the bear that killed ____" (I can't remember his name and can't be bothered to re-read the article right now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
They should have left and came back in the morning so they could be certain it was the right bear.

That's exactly what they did.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
They should have left and came back in the morning so they could be certain it was the right bear.

How can they know for certain? A bear could have killed him and another or multiple could have ate the poor guy.

Sounds like damage control unless a camera was running when it happened. They make it sound like animals won't squabble over kills, they do and are opportunistic.

I can see how you could get dna from a dead bear but if a bear left the area (after all the noise shooting) they can't test that bear.

All carnivores will fight over food.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

They should not have taken pot shots at it. A wounded bear in the brush is the LAST thing they needed.

Regardless, I feel sorry for his family. He has a really young kid.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Why do humans often make stupid decisions ? The man should of just taken the photos & got the hell out of their. What ashame for both man & animal.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
According to the article, they left and came back the next day, and no pot shots were taken at the bear(s).

Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why do humans often make stupid decisions ? The man should of just taken the photos & got the hell out of their. What ashame for both man & animal.
Or been armed at the very least. I don't care what a Ranger says, if I'm in bear Country I'm packin. I'll take the ticket if it happens.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
How can they know for certain? A bear could have killed him and another or multiple could have ate the poor guy.

Sounds like damage control unless a camera was running when it happened. They make it sound like animals won't squabble over kills, they do and are opportunistic.

I can see how you could get dna from a dead bear but if a bear left the area (after all the noise shooting) they can't test that bear.

All carnivores will fight over food.
The victim's remains and clothing were found in the stomach of the bear killed.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Or been armed at the very least. I don't care what a Ranger says, if I'm in bear Country I'm packin. I'll take the ticket if it happens.
I agree. A wild animal can cause some serious damage.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The victim's remains and clothing were found in the stomach of the bear killed.
So I have 20 bucks from a cash register, doesn't mean I robbed the 7/11. See where I'm going with this. A Bear that found a new kill could cover it as it's own, especially a dominant male. I see the locals trying to cover their ars. Tourism is big there.

Unless someone "saw" the bear kill the dude doesn't mean it was that bear. 5 bears in the area. Someone please explain to me the forensics of stomach contents = killer?

Typical for papers, I went back to some of the original "stories" and they nuked the "shot at it before dark but missed".

I tend to believe the mayberry stories vs the watered down city press. Someone is dodging a lawsuite and I can't blame them. This guy is 100% at fault.

Oh ya, the original shots from above
Denali Park hiker's camera offers clues to bear attack | Outdoors Alaska | The Bellingham Herald
The bear began circling around the rangers. They fired two rifle shots but missed. With darkness closing in, and the bear guarding its cache, the situation had become too dangerous, Fister said. The rangers were able to get back on the helicopter and leave for the night. They returned on Saturday afternoon with wildlife troopers, Fister said. A trooper shot and killed the bear from the helicopter, Webster said.

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012...#storylink=cpy
Thinking about it more, why do I care. Let it be a lesson. Excuses excuses. If he wanted to learn he would have listened to the Rangers. They have NO idea if the bear on the cache is the bear that did it.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 08-27-2012 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: