Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 13,514 times

Advertisements

What is your experience living in San Diego?

I am 18, work from home, and was wondering what is your experience? Is it a place to live it (I am coming from Non-US), many youngsters? Good places? Friendly?

Budget is not a problem.

Thans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
didn't you just start this same thread yesterday?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
didn't you just start this same thread yesterday?
Yes but I requested it to be deleted because some people were trolling thinking I was joking, but I was serious, so please forget yesterday. I am seriously thinking of moving to SD... that's why I ask.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix070 View Post
Yes but I requested it to be deleted because some people were trolling thinking I was joking, but I was serious, so please forget yesterday. I am seriously thinking of moving to SD... that's why I ask.
Are you a trust fund kid or something? How are you "working from home" at 18 where budget is not an issue? Your post is skeptical that's why people think you are trolling

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Judging by his other posts, I wouldn't assume he is necessarily a troll. These days lots of dot com youngsters starting businesses and bypassing college. I know a guy that started in his parents basement at 17 years old and the guy is a multi multi millionaire. He opted to skip college and I'm sure by the time he was 19 he was making more than most professional adults.

I don't think you can totally dismiss someone because they are young and have a lot of money. Not everyone will go the traditional route of going to college in the future. I guess I'd probably dismiss this as a troll as well if I didn't know people in this guys situation that started out in their parents home and became extremely successful (and wealthy).

Phoenix,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're probably in the high tech field and own your own company or a hacker and just working over the internet and phone.

Yes, San Diego is a great place to come if you don't have to worry about money, you have lots of savings and can work from home. What exactly do you want to know about San Diego? Yes, people are friendly here, the weather is incredible, tons to see and do. I'd say if you're 18 and truly in the position you are.... you're going to have a LOT of fun. Where do you live abroad? Which country?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM

102 posts, read 236,599 times
Poor kid, maybe he is telling the truth.

PB or UTC or College area dude.

Here's a tip if you take the bus or trolley all the way down to Mejico you can drink legally, not that will necessarily stop you here.

True story!

Have fun!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Judging by his other posts, I wouldn't assume he is necessarily a troll. These days lots of dot com youngsters starting businesses and bypassing college. I know a guy that started in his parents basement at 17 years old and the guy is a multi multi millionaire. He opted to skip college and I'm sure by the time he was 19 he was making more than most professional adults.

I don't think you can totally dismiss someone because they are young and have a lot of money. Not everyone will go the traditional route of going to college in the future. I guess I'd probably dismiss this as a troll as well if I didn't know people in this guys situation that started out in their parents home and became extremely successful (and wealthy).

Phoenix,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're probably in the high tech field and own your own company or a hacker and just working over the internet and phone.

Yes, San Diego is a great place to come if you don't have to worry about money, you have lots of savings and can work from home. What exactly do you want to know about San Diego? Yes, people are friendly here, the weather is incredible, tons to see and do. I'd say if you're 18 and truly in the position you are.... you're going to have a LOT of fun. Where do you live abroad? Which country?

Yeah...I get it, we all saw the movie.

Well Phoenix, I would say you can't go wrong with a big house in La Jolla. You should be able to find lots of friends of the same and opposite sex.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Yeah...I get it, we all saw the movie.

Well Phoenix, I would say you can't go wrong with a big house in La Jolla. You should be able to find lots of friends of the same and opposite sex.

Ha, ha. Well, no. I'm not talking about Mark Zuckerberg or anyone else particularly famous. These types of young guys that make significant amounts of money while they are young are definitely out there.

Most of the general public never hears about these guys but plenty of them out there.

Someone comes on these boards and says they only have $1,000 a month to live on and wants to be near the beach and people take them seriously. Yet, someone comes on and says they can afford $2,500 a month for rent and has plenty of savings and they are automatically a troll just because they are 18 years old.

All I'm saying is people probably shouldn't be so quick to label people trolls. Maybe he is a troll but if you are going to accept someone that says they expect to live in San Diego near the beach on $1,000 a month Social Security or someone that wants to move to San Diego with ELEVEN pets and wants to find a house in the city for $200,000....then my feeling is you should give the benefit of the doubt to this kid.

Phoenix, just doing a search it seems like you're genuinely interested in finding out what cities might be good. But tell us a bit more about yourself. What are your hobbies? Do you want to be near the beach? Do you have any friends in the USA?

The money part is all relative. A geeky nerdy 18 year old with no social skills that doesn't have any "game" isn't going to have a better social life in San Diego vs. Boston, vs. DC vs. NYC. Know what I mean? San Diego is a great city with great weather that is gorgeous. But tell us more what you're looking for if you are for real.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 01-31-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Ha, ha. Well, no. I'm not talking about Mark Zuckerberg or anyone else particularly famous. These types of young guys that make significant amounts of money while they are young are definitely out there.

Most of the general public never hears about these guys but plenty of them out there.

Someone comes on these boards and says they only have $1,000 a month to live on and wants to be near the beach and people take them seriously. Yet, someone comes on and says they can afford $2,500 a month for rent and has plenty of savings and they are automatically a troll just because they are 18 years old.

All I'm saying is people probably shouldn't be so quick to label people trolls. Maybe he is a troll but if you are going to accept someone that says they expect to live in San Diego near the beach on $1,000 a month Social Security or someone that wants to move to San Diego with ELEVEN pets and wants to find a house in the city for $200,000....then my feeling is you should give the benefit of the doubt to this kid.

Phoenix, just doing a search it seems like you're genuinely interested in finding out what cities might be good. But tell us a bit more about yourself. What are your hobbies? Do you want to be near the beach? Do you have any friends in the USA?

The money part is all relative. A geeky nerdy 18 year old with no social skills that doesn't have any "game" isn't going to have a better social life in San Diego vs. Boston, vs. DC vs. NYC. Know what I mean? San Diego is a great city with great weather that is gorgeous. But tell us more what you're looking for if you are for real.
Thanks for the support buddy! Appreciated

I am actually socially active, I go out, etc, hone a home 24/7 guy, socializing would not really be a big of a problem, many are worried when going to a brand new city, I believe it's something completely normal.

Well I love jogging, business, used to train tennis etc, don't really have any specific hobbies, but I love to do a lot of stuff, why not.

I am actually a guy who loves adreneline, so I would go sky diving often, and other stuff like that (but not skateboarding, BMX and stuff like thaT).

Yes I am actually deciding which cities to live in, San Diego seems to be a nice place with a lot of stuff to do.

Thkns

Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Phoenix,

You have such a unique situation as you are probably aware already

As far as living experience goes, San Diego is really a great place to live. If you have the level of mobility you do now for the next 20 years, I am sure San Diego could be a really great stop along the way. I have only been here since my mid 20s and am in my mid 30s now. At this age its great, but knowing how I was at 18, not too sure I would be into San Diego as much as I was in traveling to other countries and basically seeing the world.

If you are an adrenaline junky, yeah I would say there are quite a few things to do here in that arena. Or at least, you could have San Diego as your home base. A buddy of mine loves going out near the border with his custom Jeep for rock climbing/off roading/wheeling down.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego