U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM
 
9 posts, read 12,122 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I want to relocate from the San Francisco bay area to an area safe for kids, good bike riding possibilites, and good schools for elementary age kids.

In the SF Bay Area to find a place like this you can buy a 1000 sf house for $600K.

It appears to be more affordable in San Diego, but I'm an outsider and maybe I am being fooled by all the attractive listing as I don't know where the choice areas are for families?


I am someone who likes a bit of an urban vibe or a least a small town charm (like an actual downtown area where people hang out and eat/drink coffee) vs. a sprawling burb like maze of homes.

My head swirls at the vast size of San Diego - La Mesa seems nice, Carlsbad seems nice, but I could really use some advice or a least a reality check.

Maybe I should just buy the 1200 sf house in San Rafael a block from a mini-highway at the bargain price of $550K?

We make six-figures and live paycheck to paycheck up here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: San Diego
17,499 posts, read 14,160,108 times
Reputation: 6231
Short answer, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Rolando, San Diego CA 92115
7,173 posts, read 18,621,374 times
Reputation: 2947
Yes, if you are willing to commute 45mins-1hr to most job centers. The inland areas of Poway, Carlsbad, etc will meet this criteria. These areas are pretty analogous to nice parts of San Jose.

"Value" areas like much of San Diego proper, Mira Mesa or La Mesa or Clairemont will hit some but never all of the criteria you've outlined in your OP.

If your criteria is single-family detached home, great school district (k-12), desirable area, reasonable yard / space, reasonable commute, etc, the answer is mostly no, because the areas that fit this bill are just like what you are used to in SF Bay, just bigger and nicer homes. IMO 600k is about the bottom end for most of those areas. Point Loma is probably is probably most affordable and you are looking at 1k/sf for the most part, so you are talking about a fixer in that price range. Compare Coronado, Point Loma, La Jolla, Del Mar to Burlingame, Palo Alto, San Mateo, etc.

Condos are another story - I'l lleave that to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM
 
9 posts, read 12,122 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks not really interested in condos - do not like the spectre of HOA special assessments. And I do not want to commute an hour to get everywhere either.

Last edited by mystian; 08-29-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,198 posts, read 3,009,701 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystian View Post
Thanks not really interested in condos - do not like the spectere of HOA special assessments. And I do not want to commute an hour to get there.... either.
San Diego is a big place. Any idea where you'll be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Status: "On the west side" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: New York City/San Diego, CA/Gloucester, MA
364 posts, read 398,688 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystian View Post
I am someone who likes a bit of an urban vibe or a least a small town charm (like an actual downtown area where people hang out and eat/drink coffee) vs. a sprawling burb like maze of homes.
The type of area you would like are few and far between in San Diego especially in the suburbs with good schools. I remember in the Bay Area, even areas like Novato or Walnut Creek had small little urban centers like this. You won't find what you want in places like Mira Mesa, Mission Valley, La Mesa, Poway, Tierrasanta, Chula Vista. Those areas are mostly tract homes and strip malls, nothing like Rockridge which is what I picture you like.

You can find places like this in San Diego especially coastal but the price point will be the same or higher than the bay area. Remember too, the job scene in San Diego is NOTHING like the Bay Area. The job scene would be more comparable to Omaha rather than the Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
 
1,747 posts, read 1,317,589 times
Reputation: 679
in north county you will have no problem finding a nice house in that price range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: La Mesa
349 posts, read 400,736 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Point Loma is probably is probably most affordable and you are looking at 1k/sf for the most part, so you are talking about a fixer in that price range.

1k/sf?

SDLookup.com | Point Loma Home Sales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
 
Location: La Mesa
349 posts, read 400,736 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystian View Post
I want to relocate from the San Francisco bay area to an area safe for kids, good bike riding possibilites, and good schools for elementary age kids.

In the SF Bay Area to find a place like this you can buy a 1000 sf house for $600K.

It appears to be more affordable in San Diego, but I'm an outsider and maybe I am being fooled by all the attractive listing as I don't know where the choice areas are for families?


I am someone who likes a bit of an urban vibe or a least a small town charm (like an actual downtown area where people hang out and eat/drink coffee) vs. a sprawling burb like maze of homes.

My head swirls at the vast size of San Diego - La Mesa seems nice, Carlsbad seems nice, but I could really use some advice or a least a reality check.

Maybe I should just buy the 1200 sf house in San Rafael a block from a mini-highway at the bargain price of $550K?

We make six-figures and live paycheck to paycheck up here.....

Downtown La Mesa has the small town atmosphere and there are homes in that area in your price range and less. I don't know much about the quality of the schools but that should be easy enough to research online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 05:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,275 times
Reputation: 13
You get the nice urban feel south of the I-8 near Balboa Park, North Park neighborhoods, even east to Normal Heights and Kensington, but the schools might be a challenge. Easy commutes to downtown or UTC areas, great urban villages, good biking opportunities, cool weather so no AC needed. I moved here from Washington DC region and love Kensington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top