U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,048 times
Reputation: 10
Default Cost of living In one bed 750 sq apartment

My boyfriend and I are about to move into an apartment in hillcrest it's one bed one bath 750sq ft . Does anyone have a place that size how much does electric and cable n water cost ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
8,715 posts, read 11,943,391 times
Reputation: 4717
Cable cost will depend on the company, and what you choose. Electric will also depend on how much you use. Why are you paying for water? Most landlords pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,048 times
Reputation: 10
Well we both work like 9am -6 pm so not not like some one is home all day . I wanted to know the average ? Where I lived with a roommate before At La mirage in mission valley we paid water , I didn't know if I would here . Any suggestions on cable companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
8,715 posts, read 11,943,391 times
Reputation: 4717
Your choices for cable/internet are Cox and AT&T. There's no average for using electricity, it depends on the user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM
 
231 posts, read 195,114 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Why are you paying for water? Most landlords pay for it.
Not anymore. It's become really common for tenants to pay either their own water/trash/sewer bill or to pay part of it with the landlord paying a certain percentage. Call it a hidden rent increase.

In many cases it's not even your own usage that you're paying for; it's an average divided by the number of units in the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,301 posts, read 4,016,766 times
Reputation: 1745
Definitely water here isn't cheap. In fact, we left for the entire summer so no one was in our house. Granted we do have sprinklers for our yard (front and back yard) but it still seems odd we were only here for about 5 days of the cycle and our water bill was $350 (60 day cycle).

I can't imagine what it will be like on the next bill as we use a lot of water in the showers and baths for the kids.

Granted we have a larger house but it still was shocking to get a big water bill only being here 5 days out of the cycle. I called the water company and they had me go check the meter in front of the house to make sure they didn't misread it but they didn't.

I asked one of our neighbors what his last bill was. His yard is about 1,000 sq. feet bigger than ours and he also has two kids. His was $580 for the 60 day cycle.... (he has a 5 bedroom house as well). On a small apartment I can't see you spending much on water if it's just you and your boyfriend. The baseline isn't too expensive. Our baseline fee is $57 and the sewer baseline fee is $30. Then the more you use, the higher the rates go in tiered steps.

On electricity, you probably won't spend much at all on only 750 sq. ft.place. Especially if you don't use the heat and AC much. The baseline rates aren't too much and even having a big house I think they are reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Barrio Logan/Shelltown
8,715 posts, read 11,943,391 times
Reputation: 4717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Not anymore. It's become really common for tenants to pay either their own water/trash/sewer bill or to pay part of it with the landlord paying a certain percentage. Call it a hidden rent increase.

In many cases it's not even your own usage that you're paying for; it's an average divided by the number of units in the building.
I've never lived in a place where I had to pay for my own water. There are no other units in my building. I lived in a stand-alone, detached cottage, so it's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego
17,250 posts, read 13,407,961 times
Reputation: 6082
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Definitely water here isn't cheap. In fact, we left for the entire summer so no one was in our house. Granted we do have sprinklers for our yard (front and back yard) but it still seems odd we were only here for about 5 days of the cycle and our water bill was $350 (60 day cycle).

I can't imagine what it will be like on the next bill as we use a lot of water in the showers and baths for the kids.

Granted we have a larger house but it still was shocking to get a big water bill only being here 5 days out of the cycle. I called the water company and they had me go check the meter in front of the house to make sure they didn't misread it but they didn't.

I asked one of our neighbors what his last bill was. His yard is about 1,000 sq. feet bigger than ours and he also has two kids. His was $580 for the 60 day cycle.... (he has a 5 bedroom house as well). On a small apartment I can't see you spending much on water if it's just you and your boyfriend. The baseline isn't too expensive. Our baseline fee is $57 and the sewer baseline fee is $30. Then the more you use, the higher the rates go in tiered steps.

On electricity, you probably won't spend much at all on only 750 sq. ft.place. Especially if you don't use the heat and AC much. The baseline rates aren't too much and even having a big house I think they are reasonable.
Are you sure your neighbor isn't watering quite a bit with your water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, 91945
4,536 posts, read 4,536,576 times
Reputation: 1617
Water might be between $80 and $100 every two months (depending on baseline).
Electric should be around $40/mo
Trash $25/mo if that isnt already included.
Cable and internet probably between 75-$100/mo

earlyretirement,
Might want to check your PSI levels. We have an 8k sq ft lot with tons of lush landscaping (various palm trees, front/back lawn and plants). However our other property in Murietta, had to have the PSI toned down from 65 to 55 and the water bill came down about $60.

Its just the two of us and even when we had a family member living here, the water bill was maybe $120 at the most (bi-monthly.)

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 09-04-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Santaluz - San Diego, CA
4,301 posts, read 4,016,766 times
Reputation: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Are you sure your neighbor isn't watering quite a bit with your water?
No kidding! But seriously this other guy with the high water bill lived a block away from me in the same development. He actually showed me his bill so I know he wasn't exaggerating.

I just felt the need to ask someone else as it seemed so strange to be gone almost the entire billing cycle and have it so high.

I mistakenly thought that our showers/baths used the most water as my wife and I take LONG showers. (it's not uncommon for me to take a 30 minute shower) and we installed this special Grohe shower dual showerhead that puts out more water than any shower I've seen in my life). Plus we give the kids a bath twice per day. I'm 100% positive that our shower/bath usage would be more than the sprinklers would put out. I realize that isn't the norm for most households but with us and long showers plus this special shower head that would be the case as my wife also takes long showers.

But coming home to this water bill was an eye opener. I asked my gardner and he said he only added a minute to each water station (we have sprinklers both in the front of our yard and back and also the middle where we have plants).

Our last water bill before that was about $325 but we were here the entire 60 days. I imagine our next water bill will be massive when you factor in the shower/bath, dishwasher, laundry added as well.

That's been really the only surprise with utility bills here. I've been pleased with our electricity/gas considering our house is so big. Our worst electricity/gas bill was about $400 in the winter and this one here for the summer shows an estimate to be about $350 for this past month but we ran the AC quite a bit.

But the water bill was quite an eye opener because we weren't here at all except for 5 days of the billing cycle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
earlyretirement,
Might want to check your PSI levels. We have an 8k sq ft lot with tons of lush landscaping (various palm trees, front/back lawn and plants). However our other property in Murietta, had to have the PSI toned down from 65 to 55 and the water bill came down about $60.

Its just the two of us and even when we had a family member living here, the water bill was maybe $120 at the most (bi-monthly.)
Shmoov, yes I looked on the stations and I did notice the gardener had them at 100% for the summer. I turned them down to 75%. The city of San Diego actually has this free program where they will come out to your house and go over everything with you. I scheduled for them to come out later this month as it still seems strange it was so high not being here. I know this new dual shower head will kill us with water usage but worth it to me. But not being here at all and getting a $350 bill wasn't any fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top