Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 PM

50,158 posts, read 46,820,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm not arguing that. My argument is that nobody *has* to use those cable providers. Cable isn't a utility, nor is it a necessity.
You'd be surprised I know people that would rather give up everything before the tv goes. Springer and Oprah types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,370,150 times
I use Time Warner just because digital cable is included with my HOA dues, which I thought was great. High speed internet with Time Warner is also included with my HOA dues. And I routinely get 20 MB download service. It's only gone out once in the past year and back up within a few hours.

The only problem I've had with them is a billing issue. In the HOA dues only one box is included and DVR isn't included. So I ordered another box and added the DVR service. It was $30 a month. So I called to ask how much it would be if I upgraded to the whole house DVR where I could access the recordings in either box (bedroom or living room). They told me it would only go up $15 a month. Instead it went up to $65 a month.

I called to complain but they didn't do anything and something like $150 charge to change back. I thought that part was a scam.

As I type this, a Time Warner service tech is out as one of the DVR boxes is broken. The good thing with them is when I've had an issue they usually can send someone out the next day.

We don't watch much TV but every now and again we do but we probably should downgrade back to the old plan.... A waste of money I know but I got spoiled by the whole house DVR service.....

Last edited by earlyretirement; 09-06-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,019,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I use Time Warner just because digital cable is included with my HOA dues, which I thought was great. High speed internet with Time Warner is also included with my HOA dues. And I routinely get 20 MB download service. It's only gone out once in the past year and back up within a few hours.

The only problem I've had with them is a billing issue. In the HOA dues only one box is included and DVR isn't included. So I ordered another box and added the DVR service. It was $30 a month. So I called to ask how much it would be if I upgraded to the whole house DVR where I could access the recordings in either box (bedroom or living room). They told me it would only go up $15 a month. Instead it went up to $65 a month.

I called to complain but they didn't do anything and something like $150 charge to change back. I thought that part was a scam.

As I type this, a Time Warner service tech is out as one of the DVR boxes is broken. The good thing with them is when I've had an issue they usually can send someone out the next day.

We don't watch much TV but every now and again we do but we probably should downgrade back to the old plan.... A waste of money I know but I got spoiled by the whole house DVR service.....
A newer digital TV and a decent powered anntenna and you get all of the local stations, plus some LA, plus some from Mexico (yay, soccer!) plus those oddball old movie and TV stations.

Waiting a season to watch a favorite show or paying to download it off iTunes while it's current (oh, Breaking Bad, how badly you've hooked me) isn't so bad.

Of course, if the HOA is paying....

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 AM

111 posts, read 327,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
There's a bunch of other internet providers. There's other cable providers, as well.
Yes, there are other cable providers, but sometimes I have absolutely no choice except one provider. In this town, Time Warner is the only cable tv provider, and no there is no AT&T uverse either.

Also a lot of apartment complexes ban dishes or external antennas in the lease, so yeah its either Time Warner or zero TV for me.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 AM

233 posts, read 444,622 times
Call Cox and ask if it was a mistake. I used to have Cox cable, and I thought that it was $30 if i didn't install it and had a service technician come out to hook it up. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,370,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloGoodbye View Post
. In this town, Time Warner is the only cable tv provider, and no there is no AT&T uverse either.

I wasn't sure if you were just speaking about your neighborhood but actually there is AT&T Uverse in San Diego. Last year while waiting for our house to finish renovations we leased a townhouse in Carmel Valley and the owner had AT&T Uverse in the house and for cable the internet.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM

6,419 posts, read 11,572,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloGoodbye View Post
Yes, there are other cable providers, but sometimes I have absolutely no choice except one provider. In this town, Time Warner is the only cable tv provider, and no there is no AT&T uverse either.

Also a lot of apartment complexes ban dishes or external antennas in the lease, so yeah its either Time Warner or zero TV for me.
A lot of complexes *try* to ban dishes or external antennas. There are limits on what they can ban, per the FCC.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,419,594 times
There are only DSL providers in Central San Diego (South of 8) so if you want coax (IMO far superior) you have exactly one choice, Cox. Sucks that there is no residential fiber in SD, OC and LA have Verizon FIOS which is a pretty awesome IP based system.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-07-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,282,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
Just moved. Hooked up the modem and router. Got the bill. $30 charge for self installation of internet. Really can't stand them, but we have no choice.
Moderator cut: Not helpful AT&T charges an install even when all they do is flip a switch.

And yes you do have a choice, you could go to AT&T and they'll charge an install too and then you can see what bad service and bad customer service is really like.

Also cable franchises used to be only awarded to one company in an area. You didn't get a choice between Cox or TWC, now that has changed in theory due to law changes, but don't look for Cox or TWC to build in the others territory any time soon. It is just too expensive to lay the cable and set up the infrastructure for too little gain.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 09-07-2012 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Overly antagonistic -- the OP has every right to post about this if he/she desires

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,334,632 times
As others have said, please call Customer Service & nicely protest, even if it takes several long calls or speaking to several different people. My personal experience with the companies I've had to contact is that weekend staff are far less tech savvy (night & weekend staff, too, if CS hours are 'round the clock), but seem to be much less harangued by the volume of day calls, so are in a better mood to grant deals or waive charges. I was supposed to be charged $60 (self-install, then tech visit when the former didn't work), but had all charges waived. You have to decide that isn't acceptable & put in the time to make multiple calls... $60 pays for my food for the week, so I'll do it. It's a bloody headache, but I never give in on such things.

It turns out that wires in the 'telephone room' on the bottom floor of my bldg were frayed & the repair tech had to replace them. He said I'd never have been able to get cable & he had no idea how the previous tenant could have had full service, though, indicated I'd still be charged for both self-install & a tech visit, $60. Ummm... no.

I find if I'm respectful & speak slowly, persistantly repeating they should waive charges, they do... perhaps as they realize I'm not giving in & am taking too much time to explain over & over, so best to just get me off the phone. It always works for me no matter the company. I just don't give up. Also, if I'm told they can't do anything, I thank them, tell them I appreciate their situation, then ask to speak to someone who can help, I'll wait. It seems companies least like having their call center phone lines tied up by customers like me, so after a while persistance does pay off on our end.

I realize I had a problem, but had I not, I'd still have done the same by stating I was never informed of the $30 self-install charge (I wasn't), which is quite comical in my view. Why not also charge me a penalty for having my own modem or laptop? You could tell them you're considering cancelling & going with another provider who doesn't penalize for installing your own cable.

I realize it's annoying, but I feel it's fair play, since everytime I call cable they try to drag $ out of my pocket & wrangle me into upgrading to cable TV. I can't tell you the 1/2-dozen times I've had to say 'but, I don't own a TV' & they still keep trying to sell me. I look at it as cable karma if they have to speak with me.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego