Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,931,730 times

Advertisements

free mapquest app for phone is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I added their gps for $14 a day, but is it worth it?
If you've got a smart phone, skip their nav. You can use the default app but one I really like is Waze.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
With an old fashioned paper map, you write down your turns on a piece of paper after consulting the map, you don't look at it while you drive. Doesn't anyone remember the old days?
I agree everyone needs to know how to read a map, but it can be very inefficient having to write everything out and when you miss a turn ( which is easy when things are poorly marked) pulling over and and making your way back. Especially if you have a freakishly bad sense of direction. I started doing field work before the Internet and having to do this day in and day out was very time consuming for people that went to several strange places every day.and this was before commoners had cellphones so no calling someone at the destination to get directions when you were lost.

I have to say it has been more challenging for me because whenever i move to a new city its like starting frm scratch. When map quest came out it seemed like a savior! Lol! Now it's a pain in arse, and gps, smart phones are great. I still do like looking at maps on the Internet before I head out because I am visual and want some idea of where I am, but I do like the gps back up.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 PM

389 posts, read 920,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Glad to see that you decided to rent a car during visit. I'd drop the GPS option, as others have said. Just pick up a city map (AAA office or visitor's center) and map out your routes. I love maps because they give the big picture of a city. Have fun.
yeah, buts not enough, gps is really handy with voiced turn by turn directions. I went to best buy and purchased mount stand for my phone I will take with me. I activated AT&T Navigation (provided by TeleNav). I quite like this app, even more than higher ranked MotionX GPS. I noticed its not always accurate for final turn but neither I expect to get that from sat gps devices. Even though its $10 a month, I think its worth it and it beats $42 for 3 days.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM

One more question folks: in what order I should see the following destinations once I step my foot in airport.
- Bolboa Park (including San Diego Zoo)
- Old Town
- downtown
- Gas Lamp district
- USS Midway
- Coronado Island (hotel Del lobby, beaches)
- Sea World

Since I will drive around, I'll save myself some time and check in to hotel at the end of day. It will be 2:30pm so still some time left. I will be staying in Wyndham Garden near SeaWorld but I'd rather go there in morning next day cause I dont think I'll see there much late afternoon before it closes

Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM

110 posts, read 383,638 times
Keep in mind some things are ideal at night (gas lamp for nightlife), while some things are only open during the day.

You'll have to plan the itinerary yourself, because only you know your schedule.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
Keep in mind some things are ideal at night (gas lamp for nightlife), while some things are only open during the day.

You'll have to plan the itinerary yourself, because only you know your schedule.
I have nothing else to do in san diego except visit till Friday morning.

Maybe more accurate question would be which places take most time to visit and are quickest to get to/from. I understand its quicker and more efficient to get from airport to bolboa park, then to USS midway than say SeaWorld to Bolboa Park.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Don't drive downtown. You're better off taking the bus to Old Town trolley station and taking the trolley downtown. If you drive, it'll be very congested, and you'll have to pay for parking. You can also take the bus to the zoo, and the bus stop is directly across the street. If you have the time, I would take public transportation to where you want to go, unless you go at night.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
With an old fashioned paper map, you write down your turns on a piece of paper after consulting the map, you don't look at it while you drive. Doesn't anyone remember the old days?

Oh man...technology spoils you! I can't even imagine having to go back to paper maps. You save so much time with GPS.

Definitely I wouldn't rent a GPS from the rental car agency. Like the others said, I'd just buy one from Amazon.com. They are fairly cheap. We bought one that we use when we travel around on vacations. Saved a ton of money over the years with it.

When we went to Europe this summer we bought another one as the old one didn't have the option to load European maps. It was a total time saver. I wouldn't want to go back to the days of paper maps.

I'd say buy a good one off of Amazon.com or Craigslist.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Oh man...technology spoils you! I can't even imagine having to go back to paper maps. You save so much time with GPS.

I'd say buy a good one off of Amazon.com or Craigslist.
Do u realize there are smartphone apps? I have smartphone with gps and Nav map that works even offline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego