Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
People are way too quick to write off downtown. For $1700 you could have a pretty decent sized one bedroom in a newer apartment with all the amenities. You'd also have the added benefit of being able to walk to everything when you are not working.

Crime? Yeah, it exists. I live in a high crime area statistically speaking. Go to the Trulia map and it's bright red.

But the crimes are things like drunk in public, vandalism, and so on.

If you did move downtown it probably makes sense to really move to an area that is higher end. I don't know enough about living downtown but I'm sure tonyinsd or Shmoov can give good guidance on which areas are the better areas to live.

Personally, I'd get REALLY tired of all the homeless, drunk asses, etc. I was out the other night on Monday having dinner with one of my friends for "guys night out" and having dinner down town and we ran into a ton of drunk asses. I forgot it was game night with the Chargers playing so I assume that draws out even more whackos. Just walking down the street, minding my own business you'd have drunk asses running up to you in your face yelling "go Raiders" or just yelling. Plus the usual homeless begging for money. And it's not even the begging for money that bothers me but other times I've been with my kids when some of the homeless would even come up to them and touch them. Seems like many of them have mental issues.

That part of downtown would seriously bum me out if I had to deal with that day to day.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 09-12-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 791,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
OP, where in Canada are you moving from?

It may not be the case with you, but the biggest headache for me moving to the US is trying to understand the health care system down here ... it's mind boggling the choices available and what is and what isn't covered as well as where to go if you need treatment. Ask your workmates what your company offers and what they selected and why. Even after 3 years here in the US, I still am learning the ins and outs of the system.

Don't get me started! 18 years in . . . and I'm still puzzled and angry at all the bills and paperwork you get for ONE visit! "Hi, there - remember me? I gave you a pain-pill while you were in the room . . .here's my bill for $150. Your insurance MAY or may not cover it . . .whatever . . . your problem not mine."

I mean, if we're going to treat medicine like that . . . let's go all the way . . . let's go full open-market . . .there should be at least TWO guys offering me pain pills, so I can bargain and comparison-shop . . .let's get some competition going . . . right now, it's the worst possible combination of capitalism and monopoly.

Sorry . . . don't want to divert this post into yet another healthcare debate, particularly eight weeks before the election. Rant over.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 6,894 times
Canada has its own problems with health care in terms of access and quality of care. So no need to get into the pissing match.

I thought of downtown, but I currently live downtown Calgary and it is starting to wear on me. Drunked yahoo's out at all hours of the night causing fights and vandalism. Homeless people asking you for change and making you feel uncomfortable in how they approach you. People doing drugs, etc.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 791,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpendur View Post
Canada has its own problems with health care in terms of access and quality of care. So no need to get into the pissing match.

I thought of downtown, but I currently live downtown Calgary and it is starting to wear on me. Drunked yahoo's out at all hours of the night causing fights and vandalism. Homeless people asking you for change and making you feel uncomfortable in how they approach you. People doing drugs, etc.
Plus I don't think you'd enjoy the commute. The jobs centroid of San Diego is now north of Downtown, probably centered on an east-west line along Miramar Road or thereabouts. Many people commute from Chula Vista and other points south of downtown, through/past downtown - so the northbound traffic from downtown in the morning is MUCH worse than the reverse. Another thing that may be weird to you since most Canadian cities, even a relatively new and sprawling place like Calgary - have strong downtown employment bases (though they are losing jobs to the suburban office parks too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego