Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 PM

25 posts, read 34,725 times

Advertisements

More questions...sorry.

I am so nervous and excited. I still can't believe I'm doing this. I will be down in SD in two weeks to look for jobs and at the area. My ideal would be to get a job downtown as well as an apartment.
If that all works out, I was thinking a moped/scooter instead of a car. Is this a good idea? Save on parking, gas, insurance and payments. This way I can afford a nicer place.
What are some of the big corporation’s downtown to try apply? I have done accounting (AR, AP, payroll, HR, pretty much it all) for the last ten+ years as well as cocktailing/serving/bartending. I am hoping I can at least find a receptionist and hostess job at the very least to begin with. I have great references, work history, and letter of recommendation. I am extremely driven and have never had a problem finding work. I currently have 3 jobs. I think my biggest fear is that I won't be taken seriously without living there.
Is the city "crowded"?
I hate this small town NE of Seattle I currently live in. I have always lived in the PNW but want so bad to experience living somewhere new and with sun. I am 31 and single and I feel like it's a perfect time in my life to do this, while I'm still young.
I will be walking away from my house because of the depreciation as well.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Scared and excited...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I went 2 years without driving a car so, yes, it is possible with a scooter. Just get out during non-rush hour to map your best routes.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
I made the decision earlier this year to get a scooter. Don't know about the other questions, but there are those here very familiar with living/working downtown.

Cost me $1700 new out-the-door.

It gets ~70 MPG.

Since, it seems like there are a lot more scooter riders out on the roads, or maybe I'm just noticing them more.

Others gave me good info in these threads (like where to buy a good helmet online):

owning and operating a motor bike in california

can anyone recommend a motorcycle safety course in san diego?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 PM

25 posts, read 34,725 times
ooohhh... I love it!!! How fast can it go?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
The red on the speedometer is around 50 MPH. I've had it to 55 once.

Since my accident after having about 600 miles on it I'm nervous about taking it over 45 MPH.

I don't think it is legal to take on the freeway, not that I'd ever want to try that.

Perfect for getting around town. Easy to park.

Note that you must get a motorcycle permit to drive one, and there are restrictions until you get your license for it.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Did you sign up with the temp agencies yet? That should be something you do before you get here.

Once you get a local address you need to start applying for jobs using that address. It's going to be where you live, so it's not deceptive.

I'd try the usual jobsites. Monster, CareerBuilder, Dice, HotJobs. You can also use LinkedIn and don't feel shy about asking a connection to help get you in touch with the person who placed the ad.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I would not bother with a moped ( you know there is a difference between a scooter and moped, right?) anyway, this is a great scooter town. There is a lot of free parking downtown. When you ask about speeds, gas mileage and prices it all depends on what you get. I actually have 2 scooters, one a freeway worthy Vespa which has a top speed of just over 80. This makes it good for more urban freeways vs long stretches where people are going 90. The other is a Genuine Buddy which is a smaller urban scooter great for your needs. Mine is just about to turn over 15000 miles and is been flawless. I can't recommend this brand/ model enough.
Scooters do's/donts:
take is seriously, it is not a goofy toy. You are on the road and could be crushed easily. So take the motorcycle training classes ( you need a mc licence anyway), wear proper gear- no flips flops etc. i know someone who had her foot torn off -literally- in an accident and she was wearing tennis shoes. And be defensive in your driving. People sometimes get stupid thinking they somehow can't get hurt on a scooter. The pavement hurts just as much going down on a scooter as motorcycle. I usually wear a full face helmet (unless temps are too high, and I accept the risk of wearing a 3/4 helmet) and people think I don't need such a protective helmet "on that little scooter". I want to say, " really dumb dumb you don't think my face will smash at 70mph on pavement?" ( one would probably need facial reconstruction at anything more than 25 mph).

Night driving brings much more risk- poor visibility, drunk drivers. I really avoid too much night riding. I am typically on foot after dark. if you think you will need to ride at night a lot, I'd be wary.

Get a reliable brand. There are very few cheap Chinese brands that seem to last. And those that do seem to need a lot of repairs. I would check out Motorsport scooters, everything they sell is dependable. If a scooter is going to be your primary transportation, you want it to be reliable. I may not sound like an advocate, but i am- I love riding, there is nothing like the physics and the freedom of being on 2 wheels. my spouse and I have been car light (2 to 1 car) since 2006 and shudder at the thought of riding in a "cage" every day. The risk is known and understood in our home, but the power of 2 wheels cannot be denied

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
based on your work experience i would think you could find an accounting clerk job without too much trouble. the online job listings are riddled with them. don't know how much it will pay though

Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I had one of these when I first moved here. I sold it soon after. It just was way too big to get around the City. It was perfect for Colorado back roads.

on the radar

Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I would not bother with a moped ( you know there is a difference between a scooter and moped, right?) anyway, this is a great scooter town. There is a lot of free parking downtown. When you ask about speeds, gas mileage and prices it all depends on what you get. I actually have 2 scooters, one a freeway worthy Vespa which has a top speed of just over 80. This makes it good for more urban freeways vs long stretches where people are going 90. The other is a Genuine Buddy which is a smaller urban scooter great for your needs. Mine is just about to turn over 15000 miles and is been flawless. I can't recommend this brand/ model enough.
Scooters do's/donts:
take is seriously, it is not a goofy toy. You are on the road and could be crushed easily. So take the motorcycle training classes ( you need a mc licence anyway), wear proper gear- no flips flops etc. i know someone who had her foot torn off -literally- in an accident and she was wearing tennis shoes. And be defensive in your driving. People sometimes get stupid thinking they somehow can't get hurt on a scooter. The pavement hurts just as much going down on a scooter as motorcycle. I usually wear a full face helmet (unless temps are too high, and I accept the risk of wearing a 3/4 helmet) and people think I don't need such a protective helmet "on that little scooter". I want to say, " really dumb dumb you don't think my face will smash at 70mph on pavement?" ( one would probably need facial reconstruction at anything more than 25 mph).

Night driving brings much more risk- poor visibility, drunk drivers. I really avoid too much night riding. I am typically on foot after dark. if you think you will need to ride at night a lot, I'd be wary.

Get a reliable brand. There are very few cheap Chinese brands that seem to last. And those that do seem to need a lot of repairs. I would check out Motorsport scooters, everything they sell is dependable. If a scooter is going to be your primary transportation, you want it to be reliable. I may not sound like an advocate, but i am- I love riding, there is nothing like the physics and the freedom of being on 2 wheels. my spouse and I have been car light (2 to 1 car) since 2006 and shudder at the thought of riding in a "cage" every day. The risk is known and understood in our home, but the power of 2 wheels cannot be denied
+1 to all this. Very well said. People don't seem to want to respect scooters. I guess it's the 'cute' factor to it all that somehow lulls people into thinking they're harmless. As you said, whether it's falling off a scooter, falling off a Harley, or falling of a CBR1000, crashes hurt. And while it's (sadly) rare to see motorcyclists wear what I would deem adequate protection, I've NEVER seen someone riding a scooter come anywhere close, unless we're talking a Burgman or one of the other bigger scoots.

And the reality is, you're more likely to have an accident on a scooter than a bike. Smaller diameter wheels = less centripetal force holding you up, plus you generally have less ground clearance.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego