Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM

58 posts, read 286,116 times

Advertisements

I never lived in CA but I am now considering a job in the area of Sorrento Valley. We have 2 kids, both < 6 years old, one goes to kindergarten. Which area should we look for housing? Budget around 350-400K. Can we find a relatively new house (or renovated) with good schools and 1500-2000 sqft space + reasonable commute? I would not like to drive more than 25-30 minutes, one way. I checked some of the posts suggesting north suburbs, but the commute could be a problem due to traffic. Any other travel options like train, carpool/vanpool? Does not need to be close to the beach. Is there any other suburb we can consider to avoid the traffic/commute?

How about condo/townhouse with the preferences above? Can we find one in a nice area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommatidia View Post
I never lived in CA but I am now considering a job in the area of Sorrento Valley. We have 2 kids, both < 6 years old, one goes to kindergarten. Which area should we look for housing? Budget around 350-400K. Can we find a relatively new house (or renovated) with good schools and 1500-2000 sqft space + reasonable commute? I would not like to drive more than 25-30 minutes, one way. I checked some of the posts suggesting north suburbs, but the commute could be a problem due to traffic. Any other travel options like train, carpool/vanpool? Does not need to be close to the beach. Is there any other suburb we can consider to avoid the traffic/commute?

How about condo/townhouse with the preferences above? Can we find one in a nice area?
Yes you can find homes in that range. But 25-30 mins from the school or the job? Where would the work be?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM

commute to work, in Sorrento Valley. Which of the north suburbs would be within 25-30 min commute, one way?

I assume schools will be nearby, it should not be a problem.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
You can find 4 bed, 3 bath, 2000+ square foot houses built in the late 1970's in Mira Mesa for ~$350k and be close enough to ride you bike to work if you wanted to, something in the same area but built in the early 80's would probably be 400-450. Poway's school district is better and if you really look you can find houses from the late 70's to early 80's in the 400,000 range for a 4 bd, 3bth 2000ft2. Now, for newer and larger houses with much larger lots but still in your price range you'll have to go further afield but if you look in east Lake or Otay Mesa (worse school districts but very nice new houses) like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCUQ8gEwAA
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...216?source=web

It's a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2685 ft2 house on 2.2 acres built in 2000 which sold last month for $385,000. It sure would be a long drive to Sorrento Valley though probably like 45 minutes each way if you don't hit traffic.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM

How about Scripps Ranch? Are the schools good over there?

I might take a look at northern suburbs like Vista or Oceanside. The commute is longer but is the train feasible? It seems like the train ride is like 30 minutes from Sorrento to north suburbs.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
a 30 minute commute sounds good on paper but you need to be realistic and flexible considering the amount of traffic here...it could turn into an hour or not depending on all kinds of factors. My 15 mile commute is usually 45 minutes and that's what I plan on. And SV is tricky and congested getting in and out of there.

North County coastal towns would be Solana Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas, Leucadia, Carlsbad, Oceanside...with Vista being inland north.

Working in SV, I would suggest staying west of I-15...Mira Mesa, Rancho Penasquitoes..those areas would work too.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 AM

182 posts, read 328,128 times
We just made this move for my husbands job in Sorrento Valley and loveautumn is totally right about it being tricky getting in/out of that area. Just imagine 20,000 people trying to leave work at the same time with limited access in and out. I HIGHLY recommend just renting something for awhile (house or apartment)!!!! Our goal is to find a rental house but we got down here at the beginning of August and any decent rentals ceased to exist for the fall (rental market is crazy here also). We ended up in an apartment for the time being that is literally five minutes away but during a bad rush hour the other day it took us 30 mins to go about a mile which just got us out of the business park area. Carmel Valley where we are can be expensive but if you can find something to rent it seems to have good schools and is the closest. I have family in Poway which is near Scripps Ranch and they have two elementary/middle schools kids and all I ever hear about is the Poway school district which I believe Scripps belongs to as well. The further out that way I would think you could find somewhat lower prices. If I take the 56 out to Poway it only takes about 10 minutes on a good day but I have seen it back up. I don't really like Mira Mesa but they definitely have lower properties, Mira Mesa is kind of annoying to drive when it's busy;lots of traffic and many intersections. If you want to be by the coast, the farthest I personally would consider is Encinitas for a commute (even that could take a bit on a bad day) but keep in mind that some companies give subsidies for the Coaster and may also pick you up and deliver you to your building depending on who you are working for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego