Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,685,932 times

Advertisements

Just read an article the other day that there were still some 10000 plus tickets available for this Sunday's game. Are you just begging to get the team moved up to LA like your basketball team ? You have a competitive team in a weaker than usual AFC this year. You have the Broncos to deal with and you had success in the past with Manning. KC and Chokeland are jokes this year. My only theory is you've seen a lot of wins and a lot of playoff chokes this decade and you folks are having a hard time trusting the product based on that. If any Chargers fans want to comment on this that would be great.

PS: I don't want to hear "perfect weather and great amenities." I love San Diego and agree 110% whenever I visit. Bottomline is you still had 3 pro teams in the early 80's with basically half the population base you have today. Yes, I remember Bill Walton and Terry Cummings growing up as Clippers. What gives ?

Last edited by magnum0417; 09-21-2012 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: another paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,235,109 times
I don't think there is he specific reason per se. But the Padres attendance has been dismal as well.

Clearly there will always be the die hards, who will fork out the dough very year for season tickets regardless. But for the discretionary income 1 or 2 game fans for seeing the game in the nosebleeds, it might not sound too appealing.
My guess says those fringe ticket buyers are having to choose between gas in the car or he high cost of going to a game.

If you want to sell tickets for sports here its likely the 'other' futbol would have constant ticket sales. I had heard that for the world cup and Euro, San Diego draws the most viewers per capita in the country. You should see the stadium when there are international friendlies.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,809,366 times
My thoughts are that with the economy people just don't have the money to fork over to go see sporting events like they used to and Charger tix prices are some of the highest in the league from what I understand, and I think the Chargers need to do alot better job of marketing this team. Get their faces on TV, "sell" somebody a star that people really want to go see (like LT, Merriman, etc.) I was pretty surprised that Atlanta wasn't a sell out (although it probably will be by game day).

The Chargers opted out of the new agreement with the NFL that there would be no black out if 85% of the seats were sold. So obviously they got greedy and thought if people don't want to buy our tickets, then the heck with them they won't see it on TV either. This is terrible public relations, IMO. The more people see the team on TV, they will get to know the players, identify with them and then may be willing go to to a game or two. You know the saying, out of sight out of mind.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM

9,781 posts, read 11,438,177 times
Black out chargers games?
Get use to it!
San Diego will always be a conservative town.
That means,we are not going to shell out crazy a$$ money to sit in some nose bleeds seats in a delapted stadium!
Those 10,000 seats are saved for,Bang wagon out of town transplants
They must not of gotten the memo this week
For the record,I'm a die hard Raiders Fan and we have more Blacked out games then the Chargers

Last edited by hitman619; 09-21-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM

444 posts, read 661,742 times
It's often hard to get San Diegans excited about their teams even when they're winning. Until you have a playoff contender that proves they can go deep into the playoffs, San Diegans will tend to go about doing their own thing in the mild weather.

In Pittsburg, winning or losing, you don't have much of a choice but to support them.

An abundance of "back East" transplants and their loyalties may have something to with it too.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,729,490 times
Face value tickets to Charger games are some of the more expensive in the NFL.

I'll be at the Q this Sunday for my (likely) only in-person game of the year.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,352,077 times
I totally agree with Shmoov and loveautumn. I think it just stems from the fact that the economy is still struggling and the job market is still pretty bad. Yeah, there are always people in San Diego that will have money but a large percentage are the paycheck to paycheck crowd that don't have as much discretionary income to spend on baseball or football games.

I've been to a few Padres games in the VIP section right behind home plate and the tickets were really expensive. Beautiful stadium but tons and tons of empty seats.

I was at the dentist yesterday for an emergency crown replacement and I was asking him how business is. He said that it's mediocre and he really missed the bubble years when real estate was sky high. He said everyone came in for annual check ups, cleanings, and dental care. He said now with the poor economy, people put off coming into the dentist for YEARS. No more cleanings, no more annual visits and people put off doing even important dental work because they just don't have that discretionary income anymore in SD.

When it comes down to it the priorities are going to be for most people (a) their car to get to/from work, (b) their house payment or rental payment for their home, and (c) groceries to feed their family.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,690,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Just read an article the other day that there were still some 10000 plus tickets available for this Sunday's game. Are you just begging to get the team moved up to LA like your basketball team ? You have a competitive team in a weaker than usual AFC this year. You have the Broncos to deal with and you had success in the past with Manning. KC and Chokeland are jokes this year. My only theory is you've seen a lot of wins and a lot of playoff chokes this decade and you folks are having a hard time trusting the product based on that. If any Chargers fans want to comment on this that would be great.

PS: I don't want to hear "perfect weather and great amenities." I love San Diego and agree 110% whenever I visit. Bottomline is you still had 3 pro teams in the early 80's with basically half the population base you have today. Yes, I remember Bill Walton and Terry Cummings growing up as Clippers. What gives ?
As a longtime Chargers fan, my loyalty started to wane ever since talk of the team leaving town due to the lack of a new stadium. As you may or may not know, getting anything built in SD is not easy. Petco Park had it's share of problems before it was completed. Compare that to where you are in Phoenix, where sports facilities are built using public funds without public input. That would never happen here.

Back to the team. It's hard to be loyal when you don't know whether they will still be here after each season, including this one. I guess it's my way of preparing myself if and when they leave SD. And loveautumn is right in saying that Charger ticket prices are among the highest in the league.

That said, it's going to 80 degrees at the coast on Sunday, so I'll just listen to game from the beach

Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,690,680 times
Just want to add that if the Chargers keep winning, the games will have no problem selling out the rest of season. This is bandwagon central!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
They missed their window about 5 years ago and fans have had too many letdowns. More blackouts on the herizon. Besides it's free on the net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego