Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

We're a couple in our mid-thirties, relocating to San Diego from Western Europe, along with our newborn baby girl.
My job will be in Sorrento Valley and my wife will start looking for a job shortly.
I'm wondering which neighborhoods are best to look in for a nice house ("single family") to rent. We're looking at a 3-bedroom at least, 1300 sq. ft. or more, with a decent back yard. Preferably within a 40 minutes rush hours commute of Sorrento Valley and the same from downtown. Good schools are not really an immediate requirement (we can move again in a few years), but the neighborhood must be very safe of course.
We've started looking at rental costs but it's hard to get any idea with the great differences between the various areas.
Any recommendations with as many detail as possible (including rental costs) will be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,568,765 times
Since you're not yet concerned about schools, for commuting to Sorrento Valley I'd suggest Mira Mesa. It's an older neighborhood, so you're more likely to get a decent back yard.

If you prefer something newer, you might look at Carmel Valley. It's probably more expensive, the house will be newer and maybe nicer, but you're likely to have a much smaller yard.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Since you're not yet concerned about schools, for commuting to Sorrento Valley I'd suggest Mira Mesa. It's an older neighborhood, so you're more likely to get a decent back yard.

If you prefer something newer, you might look at Carmel Valley. It's probably more expensive, the house will be newer and maybe nicer, but you're likely to have a much smaller yard.
Thanks a lot for this reply, oddstray!
I don't mind if the house is old but renovated. Any idea what the expected rent ballpark would be?
Also, what is a decent back yard for you? Our current house is built on a 5,000 sq. ft. lot, do you mean something similar to that?
One more thing: I guess I should have mentioned that while we're not yet concerned about schools, we do need a good kindergarten for our little one. Are we likely to find one around Mira Mesa?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 AM

182 posts, read 327,507 times
The homes in Carmel Valley for rent that we have seen are over $2800/month generally. My husband works in the same area where you will be and we settled for an apartment in Carmel Valley for the time being. We couldn't find a house to rent that we liked and then the market dried up in August. You cannot beat our location, 5 minute commute each way and the area is nice (though shopping is a little drive, not as many conveniences). Schools are supposed to be good here, there is one very close.

We looked a bit in Mira Mesa but didn't really like that area as much, though it has a lot more shopping nearby. Prices are definitely less but I would look north of Mira Mesa. Most rental homes here are NOT updated so expect lots of basic cabinetry, tile and carpet unless you can pay a lot more in rent. Appliances also are generally not great. This is a tough rental market and very competitive. My husband went to see one property in Mira Mesa and the realtor scheduled 4 other groups of people all at the same time without telling anyone else. If you see something you like, jump on it! Constantly be checking zillow and Craigslist (though watch out for scammers on Craigslist).

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobx View Post
I don't mind if the house is old but renovated. Any idea what the expected rent ballpark would be?
Also, what is a decent back yard for you? Our current house is built on a 5,000 sq. ft. lot, do you mean something similar to that?
One more thing: I guess I should have mentioned that while we're not yet concerned about schools, we do need a good kindergarten for our little one. Are we likely to find one around Mira Mesa?
There was a fashion around here (may still be here) to build huge McMansions that take up most of the lot. The remaining yard had the foot print of one large room. That's not what I think of when someone says "decent back yard". Older houses here have back yards that are at least the footprint of the house, and sometimes even larger than that.

I don't have kids and don't live in Mira Mesa, so I can't answer your question about a good kindergarten/preschool. (Terminology But you said she's a newborn. She wouldn't be in kindergarten here until she's five years old. Until then, she'd be in day care or preschool.

If you list your wishes by priority order, we might be able to suggest some additional neighborhoods for you to look into.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,253,978 times
5k-6k sq ft sounds about right for Mira Mesa area and surrounding. House size really dictates how much of that is a usable backyard etc.
Oddstray is spot on about the McMansions where the lots may be 6k sqft, but the house is 2 floors and 4k sq ft and maybe 300 sq ft of usable backyard, but has a central playground or various parks within the community.

Other older areas further north or south might have larger lots, but might be too far for a commute.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
There was a fashion around here (may still be here) to build huge McMansions that take up most of the lot. The remaining yard had the foot print of one large room. That's not what I think of when someone says "decent back yard". Older houses here have back yards that are at least the footprint of the house, and sometimes even larger than that.

I don't have kids and don't live in Mira Mesa, so I can't answer your question about a good kindergarten/preschool. (Terminology But you said she's a newborn. She wouldn't be in kindergarten here until she's five years old. Until then, she'd be in day care or preschool.

If you list your wishes by priority order, we might be able to suggest some additional neighborhoods for you to look into.
Thanks again everyone for the great remarks.

Luvs2Trvl - an apartment is out of the question, my wife grew up in the countryside and she will simply lose it in any apartment building.

I guess I do need to set some priorities, huh?
Well, let me try (this is not easy!):
1. Location - within 40 mins commute of Sorrento Valley. Anything less is a nice bonus.
2. House in good shape, relatively new cabinetry, tiles, carpets and appliances (6-7 years old maximum)
3. Minimum 1300 sq. ft.
3. Decent back yard - I suppose about 800 sq. ft. or more
4. Daycare close-by
Oh, and thanks for the correction - daycare indeed...

Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,890,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobx View Post
Most of the houses in Mira Mesa have lots from .15 acres up to about .3 acres depending on the exact layout, builder, track, etc...

Mira Mesa is a nice, safe, clean, and just about as close as you can possibly get to Sorrento Valley. Even so Mira Mesa Blvd (all six lanes of it) can get pretty packed at rush hour so I see some people like to bike to work and they do have speciality bike lanes. From Mira Mesa the commute to Sorrento Valley would only be 1-5 miles depending on exactly where in Mira Mesa you are and exactly where in Sorrento Valley you are going to. BTW the schools in Mira Mesa are OK but really just in the middle (not good or bad) where as the Poway School District (just to the North covering Poway and PQ) tends to be rated excellent on a nationwide basis. Just FYI.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Housing in Mira Mesa is old, so you probably would need to find one that's been renovated. I'm not sure how available that would be. Otherwise look at Carmel Valley or "Black Mountain Ranch", aka: Black Mountain, Santaluz, Del Sur, 4S Ranch, Torrey Highlands. Those are newer areas, but not quite as new as you're specifying.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,890,498 times
Most of the houses in Mira Mesa are very late 70's to very early 80's but there are some parts (out by Calle Crystobal) which are early 90's and the far western portion of Mira Mesa (closer to the 805) which are also early 90's construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego