Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,893 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I have 2 small kids and currently live in Western PA. We both are from the EAST COAST (Southern NJ) but have lived in the mid west for many years. A job offer is giving us the opportunity to live on the EAST OR WEST coast. We are split since family lives in both areas.
Family aside, we are trying to base our decision on which place will provide the best for the family and the needs of the children. Here are the main points ( Pros and Cons ) about each :

NJ/Philly area -
Already know the area, easier move since we are already in PA, Schools should be better,
housing little more affordable, better culture, People are more harsh, Weather is just ok,
Better future employment opportunities, Tax rate (PA) is cheaper, faster pace of living,
feels like a harder way of life

San Diego -
Visited dozens of times and loved it, Weather is amazing, People are nicer, kids would love being
outdoors all the time, commute is better, beach, housing is more $$$, schools aren't as good,
Taxes are higher, State is a financial mess, Less future job opportunities, more laid back, not
much of a downtown or cultural area

Can anyone give me any advise on these lists ? And if i am on the right track when it comes to bringing up a young family in both places. I think California is more expensive than Philly area but perhaps not by much. I don't want to sacrifice my families financial future or quality of life because we didn't foresee something. Since i have lived in Philly area and have not live in San Diego, i want to make sure I give SD a fair shake.

Thanks for all your thoughts !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Pretty accurate list

Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Stay in NJ/Philly. Your post isnt entirely convincing that a move our to CA is a good move for your family. It sounds like a good oppt for the right person in the right situation though.

IN my experience there are two reasons I hear east coasters move back to the east coast.
-Family
-Job oppts
The rest is typically whiny about the food or 'lack of culture' here which is true to a small extent but definitely no game changer. Ultimately there are some people that figure out where they grew up or lived most of their lives is whats important to them. Nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
"housing is more $$$, schools aren't as good,
Taxes are higher, State is a financial mess, Less future job opportunities"

From a family standpoint, that doesn't sound very good, does it? I think you might have answered your own question.

As far as being an "easier" way of life, this place may seem laid back but, trust me, people are working their you-know-whats off just to survive here and the stress is there big time.

You can always take vacations here and enjoy what SD has to offer in that way.

East coast v west coast....two different planets.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Your observations are pretty right on. The lifestyle in SD is easier, but there is a price, which is you (generally) build less wealth, have less job opportunity, and less stability overall. NY/Phila/DC/Bos corridor is a high-achiever's paradise in many ways, with all the good and bad that comes with it.

Ultimately the biggest challenges you'll have starting a family in CA are the high housing costs (not really any different than the eastern seaboard), high income tax rates (although total tax burden is again not that different), and (the key downside) the poor schools. Apples to apples upper middle class areas in NY (Westchester, Nassau) are not really all that much more expensive than their better-located siblings in SD, but the opty for high income is much, much higher in NY. Phila is cheaper than both, by far, but has a lot of infrastructure / social problems that can make it a hard place to live in.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,893 times
I am trying to be as fair as possible when comparing the 2 cities. Perhaps my Pros and Cons for SD was a little off. I do think
the quality of life will be better in SD but the " responsible " thing to do for the family financially is the Philly Metro area.
Doesn't help that my wife is leaning SD and I am leaning PA. We are very fortunate to have this new job and decision to make and i just want to explore all aspects of this choice.

Thanks for all your help ! It is priceless to hear others advise !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego