Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:05 PM

354 posts, read 385,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Alternative energy may be bigger out here, but it is still dependent on government subsidies to make it pencil out. And government subsidies may not survive the budget cuts.

For a good neighborhood fit: Ocean Beach - it has the people and the beach. Also look into the Balboa Park neighborhoods which have the people, but not the beach: Bankers Hill/Park West, Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, and possibly Golden Hill. Also consider Normal Heights. Finally, you may just have to park yourself in Mission Valley because it is centrally located and the housing stock is newer.

$700 per month only works as an apartment share. If you end up living alone plan on $1000 per month as a reasonable minimum. I would come out here with at LEAST $4k saved up. Even then you have to find a landlord willing to rent to you when you don't have a job.

Even if you find a job, the hiring process could take 4 to 6 weeks as they interview the competing candidates and do their research on you. So, $4k would be the least, $5k or $6k would be better.

Your most likely locations for working with a mechanical engineering degree are Sorrento Valley and Sorrento Mesa, Kearney Mesa, and downtown by the bay in either a DoD or military contractor job.

Trolling the bars looking to pick up jobs?

Hey whatever works right Hoping to make some contacts, because to get "in" with a company, it helps if you know someone! I'm like a sponge, just wanting to soak up all the info on how to land a good job out there, because I'll be passing up opportunities in Ohio that make around 62k a year..which is like 90k at least in California when you compare cost of living. bittersweet for sure, but i know i'm making a financial sacrifice for a mental health/happiness upgrade!

I didn't even think about a possible 4-6 week hiring process! EEK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM

42 posts, read 65,687 times
A personal observation - travel when you're young. It's a wonderful experience and you'll not wonder what you missed by staying in Ohio. Life in San Diego is very different - and every town here has its own culture. I grew up in NZ, moved to NYC when I was 20, lived in Ohio for a bit (Marietta), moved to San DIego in the early 70s, up to Anchorage AK in the early 80s and I've been in Encinitas ever since. My girlfriend who traveled out here with me from Ohio returned to her hometown and has never regretted it. You may also return to Ohio because of your family and roots, but at least you will have had that opportunity.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbarb View Post
A personal observation - travel when you're young. It's a wonderful experience and you'll not wonder what you missed by staying in Ohio.
I agree completely!! When I was 18 I got a scholarship for an acting school out in CA, but I never took it because I needed a more "stable" career choice. Hence the engineering but now that i'll have my degree, i don't want to let this opportunity pass me by because if i don't take it now, i think later i'll have too many things to tie me down and then REALLY make me stuck in Ohio.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
I'm sure a lot of jobs in your field require experience. Why not get a job in a OH, where it will be easier bc you will have community/ school connections, It's cheaper to live on a low salary (it will be low here too)SAVE LIKE HELL, don't do things that tie you down like reproducing or a buying house, then move out here after a few years.

Honestly it seems like a lot of people have no ability to delay gratification. You might get out here and cobble together some part time jobs and not work in your field, and the longer you go, the less likely your chances of getting a professional job-esp since you have 0 connections out here. Where as if you have actual post grad experience, you stand a chance. You seem to indicate being good looking is your best selling point....I recommend you develop some actual strengths valued in an organization besides perceived ability to flirt with the boss and customers. Maybe having a real job in boring OH will help you reflect on that a bit and come out here a little more qualified.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I'm sure a lot of jobs in your field require experience. Why not get a job in a OH, where it will be easier bc you will have community/ school connections, It's cheaper to live on a low salary (it will be low here too)SAVE LIKE HELL, don't do things that tie you down like reproducing or a buying house, then move out here after a few years.

Honestly it seems like a lot of people have no ability to delay gratification. You might get out here and cobble together some part time jobs and not work in your field, and the longer you go, the less likely your chances of getting a professional job-esp since you have 0 connections out here. Where as if you have actual post grad experience, you stand a chance. You seem to indicate being good looking is your best selling point....I recommend you develop some actual strengths valued in an organization besides perceived ability to flirt with the boss and customers. Maybe having a real job in boring OH will help you reflect on that a bit and come out here a little more qualified.
I'll say this slightly differently, but the Clevelandgal has a several very excellent points. You may wish to consider getting that first year or two of professional engineering sales experience in OH, especially if you can already have a job lined up. While you work in OH, live cheaply and save like crazy; beef up your resume; work on developing professional contacts on the West Coast; use your vacation to visit different parts of CA and do your due diligence. It can be tough to wait, but one or two years is not that long. You'll be a much stronger job candidate and actually have some savings to make a serious go of it. Sales is a very contacts-heavy arena and you need to start developing those contacts somewhere.

Much of what I am doing in WI right now is preparing me to be a better job candidate when it's time to move. If it takes me longer than I'd like to head West, then I'm still enjoying some amazing experiences and success where I am. Sure I'd rather head West ASAP, but when I take a variety of factors into account, I'm not really in a bad spot here, other than the crappy weather. Your mileage may vary, but rushing out West ASAP is not your only option. Best wishes!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
You seem to indicate being good looking is your best selling point....I recommend you develop some actual strengths valued in an organization besides perceived ability to flirt with the boss and customers. Maybe having a real job in boring OH will help you reflect on that a bit and come out here a little more qualified.
By no means was I indicating that being good looking was my strongest selling point. Period.

And while your suggestion is fine, I'd rather make the move as soon as I graduate. I had zero connections when I landed my first job in Ohio, and I'm in the process of making connections in CA now. If I wait, what will I do in all likelihood...work 50 hrs a week m-f and be doing the same thing I'm doing now-- trying to make connections.

Really the only advantage to staying here is saving up, but I don't think that will be MY personal deciding factor on whether or not to move.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Your mileage may vary, but rushing out West ASAP is not your only option. Best wishes!
Thanks! See above post for a combined response between you and clevelandgal

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Another job tip: learn as much Spanish as you can. Bilingual applicants have an edge in hiring.

And thumbs up for your pioneering spirit!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,775 times
Quote:

I see what you're saying but I disagree. Why should someone "delay gratification" when it comes to something so important as where you are 24 hours out of a day? If you don't like where you're at, there's no point in putting yourself through two or three more years. That's two or three years that something could could come up that would risk tying her to Ohio. Ohio doesn't have a particularly high paying market--staying there in order to save up doesn't seem like a very effective idea. If contacts in CA are important (which is true), then how the heck is staying in Ohio going to help her get more contacts out here?

Also, do not underestimate the demand for a female engineer who looks good.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,052 times
Your going to find that salaries in San Diego are lower than the Northeast and other parts of the country, more so vs the COL. To put it into perspective, you should have found out by now that a lot of employers in San Diego are only interested in local candidates, relocation is quite rare it seems and salaries for experienced engineers on average is quite low. You mentioned $62K in Ohio, which is quite good for a greenhorn in this market.

I can tell you this I see positions in the Greater San Diego area that are requiring a lot of skills and experience offering similar or slightly more in compensation, of course there are exceptions but the stigma of low wages is the norm in San Diego. That being said, do not expect to be offered $90 to $100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego