Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM

354 posts, read 385,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Wish your advice and thoughts were true, but sadly they are not the case in this field. Not sure what your field of expertise is or what you do, but in the Engineering sector most hiring managers tend to be very anal retentive, very critical and selective of people they hire. Case in point, I have the degree(s) along with years of experience in the field, and recently went through several phone screens, on site interviews and etc. and can tell you first hand that it's not the norm to have hiring managers blow over your work history and experience if it's out of scope.

Sure showing good work ethic is great, but it never means anything especially when it’s not in the sector and in reality that's what professional references are for and why it’s very important to earn these within your field. Having the Manager of In-N-Out Burger on your references when applying for a job in Engineering won’t look as good or credible as having a SVP of Engineering from a reputable firm instead.

Even if you get past the screening calls, which often can be difficult, on-site Interviews can consist of 1:1 with a several people or panel interviews with upwards of 5 to 10 people at a time and it's not just the hiring manager who will drill you, your potential co-workers are also included along with senior level people. Even if you have the education and experience and try going into another sector or market, you will hear “well this is another sector, your experience is limited” even though you have done the work albeit just in another shape and form, it has little weight or respect when you stroll into a company where people exist who have been doing it for 20 to 30+ years.

You may walk in there thinking you are the one, you have this and that, the skills they want but find out after the interview that it seemed to carry very little weight. This response varies based on the hiring manager and company, some just don’t want to prop you up because they are intimidated or feel you may ask for more compensation then they can budget or maybe they are just set in their ways and have not fallen off of their high horse. What I am trying to say is the meaning “a fine tooth comb” is no exaggeration when it comes to getting a job in Engineering in this day and age. The degree is one thing, everything else and how your market yourself without too much smoke and mirrors since this is easily validated on interviews is another.

Of course there is less of a spotlight on you if your entry-level, it’s often understood that new grads will often need babysitting and a lot of mentoring but many hiring managers don’t want to bother with this at all and you may find yourself doing remedial tasks under another Engineer possibly things beneath you, but it’s better for your CV in the end since and reason why I say again, a dead end job in your sector is 100 times better than one out of it.

There is no guarantees anywhere, I have met and networked with a few people over the years who had the Engineering degree and got out of the sector and are now doing something completely different, there is nothing wrong with that, you do what makes you happy and if it’s not at the same pay scale and you don’t care then it’s not an issue live where you want to live. Who wants to be miserable, I worked with plenty of people who are just money making machines to fund the big “Keeping up with the Joneses” lifestyle, McMansion and big families but yet some did not seem very happy and looked burnt out most of the time.

The degree itself can often open other doors in other sectors, which is a good fall back plan if you’re lucky and willing to make a career change. You can plan your future, but for many in this sector it’s very unpredictable as the lifespan of jobs is less than it was 20 or 30 years ago, the market itself is volatile and unstable. Moving around is the norm for many of my past colleagues, with families that is difficult and can cause major issues especially a move from a lower COL to an area that is very high like the Bay Area and with some respect San Diego. It all depends on your situation and what sacrifices you are willing to make, many of which may not be worth it no matter how many ways you slice it.

Thank you for your thought and input. although I will have my degree in mechanical engineering, I am also open to considering other careers where I may not even use the degree! I'm not sure where I'm going to end up, but I'm considering many things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The pace and travel can take it's toll, I have worked with a few who have cracked and got out of the field because it was too much. Judging by the OP comments, it doesn't appear that they are going to pursue consumer electronics as there are other sectors of Engineering that offer a better work/life balance and stability.

I am not trying to stop anyone from realizing their dream, I just advise against moving someplace fresh out of school without a job lined up then hearing suggestions to work a dead end job till something better comes along.
To reiterate, I will not be taking a dead end job for more than a few months (probably not at all...more like use 3 months actively pursuing different positions/companies during all of my time, instead of working-- financially I'll be okay for a few months either way).

And that is just plan B- because I'm not giving up on looking for jobs before I graduate. Also, if need be, I'm planning on taking a job that isn't so much "dead end"...more like just not engineering. Not so much waiting tables, but more like working in an office/sales for something other than engineering.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I agree 100%. It is insane to live in a place you dislike just because one is worried about a job. I have lived and worked in several places during my career as an engineer. I always picked my places to live because I wanted to live there, NOT because of work. Of course one has to be realistic about it but moving to San Diego is very realistic as are many other nice areas.
I like that you've picked places to live because you wanted to live there, not because you were worried about a job. Is there any advice you would recommend further, since you've actually been there/done that? I am interested in talking to someone who realizes that life is a balance, not just for punching in and out at work everyday.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

Again, not impossible but just go back and see how many you can find that made it a successful move. It's just depressing for me to go to places and hear about people with a college degree working in retail or restaurants alongside people with not even a high school diploma. For example, the other night I was eating at Urban Plates in Carmel Valley and I heard two of the employees joking with one another. One of the girls was joking with one of the guys there that was younger and she said "at least I have a college degree". And the younger kid joked and said that was sad and he hopes when he has a college degree he isn't working as a cashier in a restaurant. (The girl mentioned that several of the employees there at Urban Plates had a college degree). It's not uncommon to walk into any restaurant or retail store like the Gap and see many of the employees with a Bachelor's degree. That reflects what the economy and job market is here. Sad.
You would be surprised how many people here have college degrees and work in retail/fast food jobs. My roommate for example, graduated this past may and is currently working for buffalo wild wings. The difference is, however, a lot of those people are VERY much different than I am-- and their idea of "applying for jobs" is far different than mine. I tend to be more proactive than the average person. I don't want to say, "I'm different so my chances are better" but... that's kind of how I look at it. I know it's a lot about qualifications and getting past all the phone interviews/panel interviews/ upper management stuff....but I never doubt the progress a motivated individual can make. and I didn't **** around during school- I worked 2 internships and have experience and references. Though I'm still entry level, I'm farther ahead of the game than a lot of people are- and if you look to see what they're doing right now..it's not applying to jobs like I am. I'm the one who started the job search last YEAR, and I have no problem spending my friday night applying to jobs and making sure my priorities are in order.

Currently, there's nothing else I can do right now. I've contacted the lady from career services for my college, I apply to jobs on weekends, I continuously make connections on LinkedIn, I'll be there in less than 3 weeks to stop at a few engineering firms and drop off my resume... right now I really need to just focus on my studies and worry about doing MORE later on. In March I have spring break, and I will probably be back to CA then to go to companies, drop off resumes etc (same plan, but I'd be closer to graduation then so companies might actually be interested since they will know whether or not they're willing to hire).

Point is, everyone's jumping the gun about me not having a job by the time I move there. I'm actually making pretty good progress so far, for what I can actually do right now.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
It also is a reflection of what their degree is. Just having a college degree does not ensure getting a job in their field is there is no demand for it. I have never seen people with engineering degrees working in service jobs unless they actually wanted to.
I agree. As they say, with engineering...one will never be out of a job. I would have to agree with them.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
divagostyle,

It really sounds like you have this move nailed.

As a transplant that came out here almost a decade ago, based on your replies, sounds like you should do well.

In all fairness, there are posts on the boards here that don't share the same level of focus or determination that you appear to show. IMHO as an entrepeneur, that type of tenacity is invaluable when combined with your credentials.

I think at this point, at least from an internet point of view, you have gone through most professional websites, resources and discussion to make a solid move here. I do t think there is much else you could do now except keeping focused and keeping a beat on things here.

Having been traveling the past couple of weeks, its great knowing we are coming back home to SD because it really is a great place to live having lived in many other cities before.

But I know in my 20s ny only focus was having fun and traveling. For some of us, we don't know where that place yo call home might be until you live it and experience it.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
This article is relevant to this thread.

Top five regrets of the dying

Regret number one and regret number five are the ones that apply the most.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I agree. As they say, with engineering...one will never be out of a job. I would have to agree with them.
That's a blanket statement and comes with strings attached, when you get some experience in the industry and hopefully don't get laid off someday you will find this out. I know a number of people with an Engineering degree that been out of a job for a few months if not longer which in this market is not unusual. They either had low ball offers in their area or no opportunity at all, or had offers and leads elsewhere but they did not want to leave their location to pursue or take it.

One guy I worked with lived on South Beach in Miami, went through this and did not want to leave the "lifestyle" to go elsewhere, he had leads all over but in places he did not want to live. I know he had several offers in the Bay Area, went out and entertained them, he gave good interviews and got lucrative offers with some big companies but turned them all down, told me it was too cold for him there. Last I spoke to him he said he got a job without having to move doing something to utilize his skills at a substantial pay cut and I could tell he was not happy. I said to him, was it worth it and he said "I don't know at this time?".

I know a lot of people that left South Florida under these terms, some regret it to this day. I am sure San Diego is no different and the same can happen no matter where you deem as paradise.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
That's a blanket statement and comes with strings attached, when you get some experience in the industry and hopefully don't get laid off someday you will find this out. I know a number of people with an Engineering degree that been out of a job for a few months if not longer which in this market is not unusual. They either had low ball offers in their area or no opportunity at all, or had offers and leads elsewhere but they did not want to leave their location to pursue or take it.

One guy I worked with lived on South Beach in Miami, went through this and did not want to leave the "lifestyle" to go elsewhere, he had leads all over but in places he did not want to live. I know he had several offers in the Bay Area, went out and entertained them, he gave good interviews and got lucrative offers with some big companies but turned them all down, told me it was too cold for him there. Last I spoke to him he said he got a job without having to move doing something to utilize his skills at a substantial pay cut and I could tell he was not happy. I said to him, was it worth it and he said "I don't know at this time?".

I know a lot of people that left South Florida under these terms, some regret it to this day. I am sure San Diego is no different and the same can happen no matter where you deem as paradise.
Happened to me in ~2002. I got laid off when my company shut down its San Diego design center.

Found a job almost immediately in Santa Clara, and for a while had two paychecks. Personally, it was difficult living away from family and commuting back to SD every two or three weeks. Financially, it was a very good move. After about 16 months I came back to work in SD.

Getting laid off is generally a bad thing to go through, but for some people it is really good. I know people who are very timid of taking risks and they get comfortable in their jobs. Being forced to make a drastic change can actually help them make tough decisions. I remember a story about a technical writer who had his salary double after being laid off. He actually found a better job.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Ok so I'm currently in school in Ohio, born and raised here-- 23 yrs old and I'll be graduating in May 2013 (6 months) with a degree in mechanical engineering. I'm doing my homework and job searching like crazy with linkedin and monster and indeed, but i'm not sure if i'll have a job lined up before i move or not. I've talked to a few people and they say i'll have no trouble finding a job- my degree is in demand and i have great people skills and I'm attractive, which might help me when it comes to finding a job in sales or project management (my dream jobs). Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice and comments tailored to me and what i'm looking for because I THINK the San Diego area might be my little piece of heaven on earth.

i love the sunshine, i love the beach, i'm vegan, i love taking walks outside, volunteering with animals, i enjoy the nightlife to meet people and get all dolled up but I don't party like crazy, and i'm a single white female. I want to have access to a lot more vegan food, and meet other vegans for friends and even dating, because they're few and far between in Ohio.

Anyway, any tips are helpful-- i research So Cal every day for about an hour because i literally CAN NOT WAIT to move. i want to work in alternative energy eventually, and i hear the market is much bigger out West.

What neighborhoods around San Diego would be a good fit for me? Any job advice? The apartment prices are ridiculous and so is the gas, but if I can't find a "career" job within the first month or so, I'm planning on doing something else to make sure i can pay rent! (craigslist for shared apts?) Also, I'm signed with a modeling agency in Ohio, and I will be HOPEFULLY signing with another one after I move.

I'm visiting in December for 16 days to get to know the place, so any advice for that would be helpful too!

Thanks in advance, I know this was a long post!!
As a person also from the midwest who moved to LA at 19 and have now been here 14 years...YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego