U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM

19 posts, read 46,155 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...first time posting here. My wife and I are talking about starting a family, and buying a new home. We are looking for something around 2500-3000 square feet and our max price limit would be $550,000 but we would be much more comfortable with $450,000. We currently own 2 townhomes which we are prepared to sell in order the finance the move (downpayment, etc). We plan on living in our next home for 20-30 years.
The two areas we are primarily looking at are Poway and Eastlake (in Chula Vista). We have driven around both areas and I have to say that I am absolutely in love with Eastlake! It is gorgeous, and I love the feel of the total suburban utopia. The HOA fees do not bother me, and I consider them to be an actual plus in my book. But here is where our concerns come into play

Eastlake- We are very worried about the demographics and the surrounding areas. Chula Vista has a bad reputation and I am extremely worried about it spilling over into the Eastlake area. For what it's worth, we are both white teachers and teach in east county (so the commute is super easy, about 12 minutes)). I am not racist by any means, but I would prefer to live in a neighborhood in which I am not the minority (I had that experience when I lived in Golden Hill (I moved) because I seriously felt like I lived in little Mexico).
Poway- I just do not think we can afford a nice home here (or least, nothing near like what Eastlake offers). Any home we have looked at in this area is either a huge fixer upper, too small, or out of our price range. Plus the commute into east county can be 40+ minutes and that is a huge negative.

We have looked in Del Cerro, San Carlos, El Cajon, La Mesa, Scripps Ranch, Carmel Mt, Santee, Ramona, Alpine, Clairemont, and the Mt. Helix area (of EC and LM)...so we have looked in a LOT of areas.

Both Poway and Eastlake have amazing schools, both scoring in the 9's and 10's...so that is pretty much a wash. Am I missing something about Eastlake? Is it too good to be true? Is it some undiscovered mecca for middle class families? Have we finally found the neighborhood we have been looking for or is there something we are missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM

7,990 posts, read 24,498,496 times
I wouldn't worry about the Eastlake socioeconomics changing too much. You have some natural and manmade boundaries to the north, west and south (freeways, Bonita, etc) and even the areas immediately on the other side of those boundaries are decent (Hilltop,Bonita, etc).

In terms of ethnicity, you can bank on declining white population and growing hispanic population in that area. But the people that move in will not be recent immigrants, they will be middle class 2-income families just like yourselves.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM

7,990 posts, read 24,498,496 times
Oh the part you are missing is the nightmare commute to nearly everywhere in the county. You working in east county is the part that makes it work for you.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM

2,298 posts, read 3,727,617 times
Hey Bill23,
I live in Otay Ranch, which is the newer area of Eastlake. You will be able to find what you want home-wise in either place (Eastlake or Otay). I find that the newer homes have smaller yard space, but if you have an aversion to yard work, this might fit you well. Most of the homes in the 2500 to 3000 are in the high $400K to low $600K; however, you can find homes in the 2000sq ft range in the mid $300K as well.
The demographics of the area tend towards more White, Latino, Asian and Afro American in that order, most in the middle to upper middle class socio-economic group; but like any area there are some lower income. The schools are good to great and the overall ambience of the community is very suburban, friendly and active. I was at the Farmers' Market last night held on Tuesdays at the Otay Ranch Town Center and it was packed with families walking around and enjoying themselves; the small Library at the TC was filled with parents and small children attending the weekly bookreading.
There are four high schools (if you count Bonita Vista), the others being Olympian (newest), Eastlake and Otay Ranch, are all rated 9s and 10s. There is also High Tech High (Public Charter - K-12) and a new Middle/High School scheduled to get under construction next year in the Winding Walk Community of Otay Ranch.
Great community for families with more restaurants, Micro-breweries, etc coming into the area. I rarely get a feel that the closeness of Mexico has had any big influence in the overall feel of the community, either for the good or bad. The 805, as Sassberto mentioned, seems to be a natural boundary between the downtown/civic center portion of Chula Vista and the more bedroom areas of Eastlake and Bonita.
There are beautiful parks and the area is checkered with pedestrian walkways throughout the various neighborhoods.
If you need any additional info, I'd be happy to respond. We really like it here, but it is very suburban, so if that is not your preference, this is not the place for you. To be honest - I'm more of a Central City (San Diego) kind of girl, but my husband loves it out here and to be honest - it's hard to find anything wrong other than perhaps work commutes to areas North of SD.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM

4,588 posts, read 8,040,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill23 View Post

Both Poway and Eastlake have amazing schools, both scoring in the 9's and 10's...so that is pretty much a wash. Am I missing something about Eastlake? Is it too good to be true? Is it some undiscovered mecca for middle class families? Have we finally found the neighborhood we have been looking for or is there something we are missing?
Bill, I dont think there is anything you are missing. In addition to what everyone else has said, you absolutely cant go wrong in this area considering your commute to East County and all the due diligence you have done. This puts you at a significantly greater advantage to live in an area that is almost half the price of comparable areas north of the 56 between the 5 and 15.

IMHO, its indistinguishable from north of the 56 areas like 4S Ranch. All the same builders, built around the same time with almost identical building foot prints and community plans. The major difference being that north of the 56 communities are closer to tech centers and higher end coastal areas such as Del Mar.

Definitely if you are that close to work living in Eastlake/Otay Ranch its a no brainer based on your needs.
BTW, I have never seen or felt any kind of border presence based on proximity.

CV is is going big over the 20 years. TONS of development happening on the waterfront there and making it a top class destination in the South Bay.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM

4,536 posts, read 9,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Hey Bill23,
I live in Otay Ranch, which is the newer area of Eastlake. You will be able to find what you want home-wise in either place (Eastlake or Otay). I find that the newer homes have smaller yard space, but if you have an aversion to yard work, this might fit you well. Most of the homes in the 2500 to 3000 are in the high $400K to low $600K; however, you can find homes in the 2000sq ft range in the mid $300K as well.
The demographics of the area tend towards more White, Latino, Asian and Afro American in that order, most in the middle to upper middle class socio-economic group; but like any area there are some lower income. The schools are good to great and the overall ambience of the community is very suburban, friendly and active. I was at the Farmers' Market last night held on Tuesdays at the Otay Ranch Town Center and it was packed with families walking around and enjoying themselves; the small Library at the TC was filled with parents and small children attending the weekly bookreading.
There are four high schools (if you count Bonita Vista), the others being Olympian (newest), Eastlake and Otay Ranch, are all rated 9s and 10s. There is also High Tech High (Public Charter - K-12) and a new Middle/High School scheduled to get under construction next year in the Winding Walk Community of Otay Ranch.
Great community for families with more restaurants, Micro-breweries, etc coming into the area. I rarely get a feel that the closeness of Mexico has had any big influence in the overall feel of the community, either for the good or bad. The 805, as Sassberto mentioned, seems to be a natural boundary between the downtown/civic center portion of Chula Vista and the more bedroom areas of Eastlake and Bonita.
There are beautiful parks and the area is checkered with pedestrian walkways throughout the various neighborhoods.
If you need any additional info, I'd be happy to respond. We really like it here, but it is very suburban, so if that is not your preference, this is not the place for you. To be honest - I'm more of a Central City (San Diego) kind of girl, but my husband loves it out here and to be honest - it's hard to find anything wrong other than perhaps work commutes to areas North of SD.
Nice post, MovingAloha! I have friends who live in East CV that would agree with everything you said.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM

641 posts, read 2,168,871 times
I agree with MovingAloha on all points. I live in Otay Ranch and the Mexican influence is definately not felt. The only thing reminding me of being close to the border are the lights of Tijuana at night, otherwise nothing. Our community is very diverse with the latino population not being the major population in our very large community.

Only downside to living here is the communte to anywhere else in the county. Access to freeways is a pain unless you opt to pay for the 125 each time which makes life a lot easier.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM

6,752 posts, read 6,672,809 times
Chula Vista PD will never ever let eastlake get like old Chula Vista(a lot of them live there)
Go Get yourself a 125 fast pass and enjoy eastlake

Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM

105 posts, read 246,690 times
Yes, for those of us who actually live in Otay Ranch/Eastlake, the border presence is not part of our every day lives, contrary to popular belief. Driving down Hunt Parkway, you might occasionally see a Border Patrol agent parked in the shadows, but they are here for our protection, it's not intrusive at all. 125 is cheaper to travel on and will get you anywhere you need to go in less time, but most locals still avoid it and use the friendly Olympic Parkway to get back to the 805. I love the diversity of this area, and would not live anywhere else in San Diego.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 AM

19 posts, read 46,155 times
Default Thanks

Thank you so much for all of the replies! Everyone has been incredibly helpful. My wife and I have decided to move into the eastlake area and are working with a realtor. Very excited!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego