Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM

26 posts, read 46,148 times

Advertisements

A few questions for the sailors out there.

Slip fees:

From my research, slips in the San Diego Harbor north of the Coronado Bridge are more expensive than what you can find in Mission Bay. True/false? I have found slips in Mission Bay for around $11.00 per foot for a 25 foot sailboat.

West Mission Bay Drive Bridge clearance:

Can a Catalina 25 tall rig clear this bridge at low/high tide? The mast is 29 ft in length and from the water to the deck is approx 5ft for a total of 34 feet. The bridge clearance is 38 ft (depending on what source you find - Sea World Marina says 36 but the city says 38, for example) I ask this because some have told me that there is no way a C25 can clear this despite the math.

Sailing from Mission Bay to The San Diego Harbor on a 25 foot sailboat:

What am I looking at here? I read that you need to go at least 2 miles out to avoid kelp beds. I am fairly new to sailing (As you may have suspected already) and I won't try this until I am more experienced but I will definitely want to make the voyage, perhaps this summer.

Thanks for any feedback...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
First, the bridge clearance will depend on the tides. If you go look at the pylons you will see the footage marked on the sides. you will also see scrape marks on the bottom of the bridge from those that didn't quite make it. A 25 footer should be fine.

If you leave out of Mission Bay you can clear the kelp right away (in the winter) to the North. The kelp is thick to the S/West by the Ocean Beach pier. What I like about Mission is that you don't compete with the huge vessels. You do have to heed high surf warnings in the MB jetty.

Typically, Mission slips run cheaper than SD Bay.

Look at Google Earth or some other topo maps to see the high points that would hold kelp or present sailing hazards.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM

316 posts, read 665,997 times
Your nautical charts should have all the pertinent information you require for making safe passage. If you do not have any charts, I'd refer you to the SailNet forums, where there is a thread pertaining to down-loadable, printable, free NOAA nautical charts in .png (image) format. Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts - SailNet Community

You might ask around on that forum as well, in addition to CruisersForum. Either/both are excellent resources for newbies and anything sailing related.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM

26 posts, read 46,148 times
Thanks for your replies. Very helpful!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
This is on my favorites for quick reference on my phone.

Chart 18020

Since I mostly fish I have charts based on high points and underwater canyons.

TempBreak.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego