Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I'm looking around for a place, but the price I'm willing to pay for a one bedroom is the price that the original poster wants for a three bedroom.

It's important to be realistic. I can't think of any area that I'd want to live in -- and I'm a single male who can take care of himself if he needs to -- where $250K would get a three bedroom.

I'm looking at a two bedroom in Midtown for $210K but that's not what the original poster is looking for.
Tony, how has the experience been stacking up so far? Any challenges or are you casually shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Tony, how has the experience been stacking up so far? Any challenges or are you casually shopping?
The only thing is that there are a lot of contingent offers out there. Since my father is getting preapproved for a loan, we will go ahead and make an offer if we like a place. Then if the person who has placed the contingent offer exercises their right of first refusal, we will move on to the next place.

The one thing that is frustrating me is the lack of response from the realtor who was recommended to us. He didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, and I think he's used to dealing with North County transactions because he's got a 760 area code and because he said "I don't think there are any one bedroom condos downtown for less than $250K."

I sent him a list of properties that my dad and I identified via Trulia or Sandicor. He hasn't gotten back to me about them.

If he doesn't respond in the next day or two, I'll get another recommendation. The guy I got his name from is the person who sold his business to Eli Lilly so he's well connected.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
The only thing is that there are a lot of contingent offers out there. Since my father is getting preapproved for a loan, we will go ahead and make an offer if we like a place. Then if the person who has placed the contingent offer exercises their right of first refusal, we will move on to the next place.

The one thing that is frustrating me is the lack of response from the realtor who was recommended to us. He didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, and I think he's used to dealing with North County transactions because he's got a 760 area code and because he said "I don't think there are any one bedroom condos downtown for less than $250K."

I sent him a list of properties that my dad and I identified via Trulia or Sandicor. He hasn't gotten back to me about them.

If he doesn't respond in the next day or two, I'll get another recommendation. The guy I got his name from is the person who sold his business to Eli Lilly so he's well connected.
Thats good, you are ready to pull the trigger when something comes on that is decent.

Yeah, I have heard this from several others that are in the market. The agents on the selling side almost NEVER get back, especially if its a non traditional sale. I think a lot downtown had a lot this happen, but the inventory numbers for 92101 have dropped significantly over the past couple of years.
I remember when there were over 600 listings! It was insane. Now I am seeing in the neighborhood of 200ish.

Good luck. Its a really pain, but in the end it will be worth it if you can get something you like and dont get all hung up with some of the niggling issues like you are seeing.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Thats good, you are ready to pull the trigger when something comes on that is decent.

Yeah, I have heard this from several others that are in the market. The agents on the selling side almost NEVER get back, especially if its a non traditional sale. I think a lot downtown had a lot this happen, but the inventory numbers for 92101 have dropped significantly over the past couple of years.
I remember when there were over 600 listings! It was insane. Now I am seeing in the neighborhood of 200ish.

Good luck. Its a really pain, but in the end it will be worth it if you can get something you like and dont get all hung up with some of the niggling issues like you are seeing.
If I don't find an agent, I think I'm going to call the listing agent and say, okay, here's the deal. You have a contingent offer. I've got a pre-approved loan. Do you want your commission or not?

If I'm feeling grumpy, I may say and I'd like you to rebate one percent of the selling price to closing costs, just like the guy from Zip Realty would.

I figure five percent of the sale price is better than three so they'll go along with it.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,817 times
Consider Allied Gardens! Good schools and very safe. Great central location, close to everything in San Diego.
Here are a couple of properties at your price point:

6476 Burgundy Street, San Diego CA - Trulia
7132 Galewood Street, San Diego CA - Trulia

^^those links aren't working when I copy & paste. The zip code for the area is 92120. Both properties were listed on Trulia.com

Last edited by alideean; 01-15-2013 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: links not working

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 12,576 times
You might also want to look in Oak Park. It would fit your budget. I'm new here too and have a friend there who has had no problems. I've driven some areas in oak park and most of it seems to be fairly quiet. I'm thinking of renting there.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM

13 posts, read 25,819 times
Carmal Mountain, Poway, 4s Ranch, Black Mountain.....these are some good areas to look for a house. The school district is also good.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyashetty View Post
Carmal Mountain, Poway, 4s Ranch, Black Mountain.....these are some good areas to look for a house. The school district is also good.
Those are good areas, but they don't match the OP's budget. 240K might get you a 1 or 2 bedroom condo, but not a house in those areas.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Those are good areas, but they don't match the OP's budget. 240K might get you a 1 or 2 bedroom condo, but not a house in those areas.

EXACTLY. No way you're going to get a house in that area for this kind of budget. Not even close.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I looked into that program at one time, and I think the stipulation is that you have to buy the residence within the actual city, not the outlying areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego