U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 AM

1,658 posts, read 5,066,308 times
Default Firestorm 2007?

So some are calling it "Firestorm 2007" or "Firestorm II",Is there anyone being directly affected from the SD County fires?My power went out about 6:45PM,but I am not sure if it was fire related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 AM

20 posts, read 85,757 times
I'm just south of 56. no power outs but lots of smoke.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 AM

46 posts, read 124,782 times
Just got this email alert -

Breaking News from SignOnSanDiego.com

Mandatory evacuation has been ordered from I-5 east to I-15 between state Route 56 and Lake Hodges. Residents can seek shelter at any of the designated high schools or Qualcomm Stadium.

Flames have penetrated Rancho Bernardo from the northeast as off 3:30 a.m., jumping Interstate 15 at Carmel Valley Road and threatening to burn into Rancho Santa Fe, said fire department spokesman Maurice Luque.

An area of 100 square miles - 10 miles by 10 miles - has been evacuated. An undetermined number of homes are burning and there are reports of people trapped in their homes and cars, Luque said.

A force of 240 firefighters with 60 engines are trying to stop the blaze from advancing further through the area. Ambulances are in the area to help the elderly and ill who cannot evacuate themselves, he said.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 AM

7,127 posts, read 18,107,258 times
I just got home, I work in Carmel Valley, my building is closed, the whole area is being evacuated. The smoke is much thicker up there than I would have expected and the winds are very high. As you enter Carmel Valley on the 5 you can see the concentrations of smoke become intense, the wind is just blowing it all down the 56 corridor.

Here in the City the skies are relatively clear. Freeways are a total mess Northbound and Southbound north of 56, Northbound is bad too, if you can get into the City and find somewhere comfortable that would be your best bet for the day.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM

50 posts, read 135,442 times
Gulp! I'm "on the list" at an affordable senior apartment complex near Balboa Park, and at another one near Horton Street.

Now I'm having second thoughts about relocating to southern California! I had no idea those Santa Ana winds could be so brutal.

Good luck to you guys.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
Gulp! I'm "on the list" at an affordable senior apartment complex near Balboa Park, and at another one near Horton Street.

Now I'm having second thoughts about relocating to southern California! I had no idea those Santa Ana winds could be so brutal.

Good luck to you guys.
There is almost zero chance a fire like this would ever impact the city itself. These fires are in rural and suburban areas with lots of brush and scrub.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 5,066,308 times
New news!!!Both sides of the 15 are now in flames.The worst are on the west side of I-15 at Bernado Center Drive.They say the western side of I-15 could burn more than the eastern side and it is more populated.(Watching NBC 7/39 right now as I type)

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

70 posts, read 189,311 times
I just got home from a 20 hor shift!! At about midnight the fire was closing in on the wild animal park and people were told to leave the areas around San Pasqual, Rancho Bernardo and east Escondido. By 3am, the fire was about 100 yards east of the command post at North Couny Fair. By 5am I was knocking on doors in Ranco Bernardo to evacuate people on Bellechase Circle while 5 houses burned around us. It crossed the 15 around 3:30am near Pomerado/W.Bernardo. There were lines of cars in traffic with fire on both sides of the roads. If they say get out, better now than when you could get stuck. That was the biggest fear. Twice, trees fell on escape routes and fire had to chainsaw a hole through to keep people moving. Again, this is no joke and it has been inside city limits since 3am. If you have a place to go, best go there to be safe.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
New news!!!Both sides of the 15 are now in flames.The worst are on the west side of I-15 at Bernado Center Drive.They say the western side of I-15 could burn more than the eastern side and it is more populated.(Watching NBC 7/39 right now as I type)
There is fire at the north end of RB / just south of Escondio, South of Lake Hodges. That area is not densely populated but immediately to the south is RB proper which has lots of people. To the east is Poway, to the West, RSF.

This is a very bad situation.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM

126 posts, read 435,467 times
Well, perhaps the "inner city" of San Diego, downtown and the like.... but San Diego residents include way more than just downtown/harbor/bay areas. We have friends camping out w/us at this moment due to being evacuated from their home in Rancho Bernardo which is not some distant rural area....it is a few miles north of us! Also, we had friends lose their home in Tierrasanta in the Cedar fire, and this situation is already being called worse than that! So, definitely many, many people in heavily populated areas,in this area are being evacuated and impacted! I wouldn't say zero chance because it is already happenning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There is almost zero chance a fire like this would ever impact the city itself. These fires are in rural and suburban areas with lots of brush and scrub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego