Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
I guess I don't understand what is meant by best car ever statement? Is it the fastest sedan ever? Is it the most luxurious car? Is it the quietest car? Is it the best value car? What make it best? It definitely have the best green fast cache. I'll give you that. But what else?
I don't know. LOL. You'll have to ask all these fairly prestigious car magazines what they mean when they make comments like that. All I know is that I've never been excited to drive a car before the Model S. My attitude is if Prius's and Leaf's can be improved so that they are as fun to drive as the Model S then all the better! The more people utilizing electric technology the better as far as I'm concerned.

I know the car isn't for everyone but I've read literally thousands of posts on various blogs, Tesla's website as well as other Tesla blogs and just about everyone posting says it's the best car they ever owned and the most fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Anyone else seeing Teslas everywhere these days? I texted a friend pix of different cars I had seen for 5 days straight.

Hey sdurbanite. Not in my area. I would have thought I would have seen more in my neck of the woods. I've only seen a few around Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe area but not many. Although my wife was in Chula Vista the other day visiting her dentist friend and she said there were 3 parked close to one another in a parking lot.

This is a fun little map (not totally updated and not everyone lists there) but I thought it was pretty cool to see.

Tesla Model S & X Reservations and Deliveries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 AM

358 posts, read 582,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I don't know. LOL. You'll have to ask all these fairly prestigious car magazines what they mean when they make comments like that. All I know is that I've never been excited to drive a car before the Model S. My attitude is if Prius's and Leaf's can be improved so that they are as fun to drive as the Model S then all the better! The more people utilizing electric technology the better as far as I'm concerned.

I know the car isn't for everyone but I've read literally thousands of posts on various blogs, Tesla's website as well as other Tesla blogs and just about everyone posting says it's the best car they ever owned and the most fun to drive.
That's great that the Tesla owners are excited about their cars. It never hurt to have more options. So, I'm rooting for them. You're right, the car isn't for everyone. I'm hoping it will be some day, once they figure out the range, charge, and price issue.

As for the "prestigious" car mags, I wouldn't count too much into them. The way the rave about the Tesla is the same way they rave about a BMW and a Porsche. I found both of those cars to be highly overrated. Also, but of those cars have horrible cheap interior for their price. So, I guess the Tesla fit right in with those two. I would love them to have a comparo with a Model S though. I haven't seen a comparo yet, just review. I waiting for a Model S vs M5 vs E63.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 AM

140 posts, read 487,199 times
I'm seeing Teslas on the road everyday now. Stunning car. I'm not a luxury car guy but would certainly get it before an S-class, or Audi A8. Tesla has been outselling those 2 cars for the last quarter in US.

Electric instant torque performance makes acceleration on par with ferrari.

Seeing a wide range of electric and plug in hybrids of various sorts all over San Diego. Leafs, Volts, plug in Prius, ford C-max, Rav4 plug in, Plus bunch others including occasional electric iSeries BMWs that are part of a trial.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrelocate View Post
I'm seeing Teslas on the road everyday now. Stunning car. I'm not a luxury car guy but would certainly get it before an S-class, or Audi A8. Tesla has been outselling those 2 cars for the last quarter in US.

Electric instant torque performance makes acceleration on par with ferrari.

Seeing a wide range of electric and plug in hybrids of various sorts all over San Diego. Leafs, Volts, plug in Prius, ford C-max, Rav4 plug in, Plus bunch others including occasional electric iSeries BMWs that are part of a trial.

SDrelocate, you nailed it with the "instant torque performance" comment. I think really you must test drive it to really compare or even talk about the car. Sitting in the car in a showroom floor is nothing compared to driving it.

Heck, I'd probably be putting the Model S in the same sentence as a Prius or Volt at least talking about all of them being EV's. But after test driving it, you will understand everything.

Doc, my advice would be to go test drive one and let me know what you think. I'm on vacation now out of the country but when I get back it should be done shortly. I can't wait!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM

358 posts, read 582,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Doc, my advice would be to go test drive one and let me know what you think. I'm on vacation now out of the country but when I get back it should be done shortly. I can't wait!
That's the problem. If they had a dealer and showroom where I can just walk in and ask for a test drive, then I would totally do that. But the way they have it, I have to make an appointment and what not, I feel bad for taking so much of their time for a car I have no plan in buying. As I said, I'm pretty sure the Model S out performs most cars in its class at this moment in time. That IMHO is its strong point. Although I'm not sure how it stacks up with the newer E63/CTS-V that's coming out. But I don't buy a car just for its performance, especially at that price. If performance was the only factor, I would buy a CTS-V and get this: 378 CID LSA Supercharged Engine Package - 700+ HP | Lingenfelter Performance Engineering or this one http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/v700.html. Hennessey also have a 800HP and 1000HP kit as well. It would be cheaper than a Model S and I'm pretty sure it'll be faster too. The 700HP Hennessey kit does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and 1/4 miles in 11.1 seconds. The Model S does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 1/4 mile in low 12s. When I buy a car, especially at that price, interior quality and technology is just as important. After all, 95% of the time, I'm just cruising on the freeway, so speed doesn't matter as much. Which is where I see the Model S extremely lacking for me. It exceeds my expectation in performance based on everything I've read. I'm not doubting it in that department. However, it falls very short in other areas that I expect in my next car. Not to mention the range problem. I do a 350 miles road trip at least 4 times a year. I need my next car to be able to do that easily. Model S can't serve that need, especially if you drive at 80MPH up the grape vine. I'm sure if I did that, my range will be less than 200 miles. If I want a car that for local driving and cannot do road trip, I probably would lean toward a GT-R. It does 0-60 in high 2 seconds and 1/4 miles in low 11 sec stock. It also handles like a dream. I'd like to see what the Model S can do around the Nürburgring.

I'm actually keeping my eyes out for the 2014 E63 AMG as we speak. It does 0-60 in 3.6 vs the Model S in 4.2. But I'm sure the instant torque for the Model S must be very nice. Also, exhaust note is very important to me as well, not just pure speed. Exhaust note was what sold me on my current car over a BMW at the time. I love those V-8 sound.

BTW, I think the statement about the acceleration on par w/ a Ferrari is a little bit of a hyperbole. Also, acceleration at what speed? I would like to see a Model S start accelerating at 120MPH, where a Ferrari starts to really open up.

Last edited by docmcstuffin; 08-12-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,876,060 times
The good news keeps coming. The Tesla Model S received the highest safety rating of any car ever tested by the government. Any way you slice it this is certainly an exceptional car.

Tesla says Model S gets best NHTSA safety rating ever - NBC News.com

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The good news keeps coming. The Tesla Model S received the highest safety rating of any car ever tested by the government. Any way you slice it this is certainly an exceptional car.

Tesla says Model S gets best NHTSA safety rating ever - NBC News.com
Yep. I saw this today. I just got back in town today from vacation and I saw that. It just keeps getting more impressive by the day. I'm set to get the car at the end of the month and can't wait. Highest safety rating out of ANY car ever tested by the NHTSA. I don't care how you slice it..that's pretty darn impressive!

I just had the high speed charger installed today in my garage. And I am arranging with SDGE to get a dedicated 2nd meter only for the car charger installed. It's a bit of a new program so it's been like pulling teeth getting sorted out but hopefully that is done as well before the car arrives. Over the long run it should make a lot of sense going that route. If this car is as good as I hope it will be then we might get another EV.

Funny, I was speaking today with a friend that works at Audi and he said that at the national dealer meeting they were saying that the biggest future threat to Audi wasn't BMW, Mercedes or Lexus but in their opinion it was Tesla. It was interesting to hear that perspective at the higher up levels.

Here is the official Press Release about it directly from Tesla: http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ar-ever-tested

Last edited by earlyretirement; 08-20-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,876,060 times
Once Tesla gets their battery swapping stations in place Teslas will even be a good buy used as the biggest worry is if the battery pack gets damaged cells (like on your cellphone or laptop) but with battery swapping stations that becomes a non-issue as you'll be swapping your battery pack out regularly any way.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Once Tesla gets their battery swapping stations in place Teslas will even be a good buy used as the biggest worry is if the battery pack gets damaged cells (like on your cellphone or laptop) but with battery swapping stations that becomes a non-issue as you'll be swapping your battery pack out regularly any way.

I'm not sure when they will actually roll out with the battery swapping stations. I think that Musk did that more of a "here is what's possible" kind of thing but I'm not sure how it would even work. I'm not sure I'd want to trust a brand new battery with one that might be used, etc. Still, I guess if they will warranty them for 8 years like they are planning then it might not be a big deal.

But they will need a huge pile of cash to build up their inventory to have enough of these things.

Where I think it will get VERY interesting is the 3rd or 4th generation models for the masses.

It will be interesting to go on a few road trips and seeing how things go. I'm going to plan a road trip for Palm Springs here after I get my car and a few other road trips to see how things go. It's great to see hotels start coming out with charging stations in their valet areas.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM

54 posts, read 99,292 times
Just curious what the current SDGE program was for the 2 meters. I'm strongly considering the Toyota RAV4 EV or possibly the Volt and will end up having a Level 2 charger installed in my garage. I had taken a look at their program a long while ago and saw they would have tiered rates to allow for cheaper electricity during overnight charging, but the lowered overnight rates were not substantially lower than the baseline or 1st tier rates, while you now have to pay .27 per kilowatt hour during peak periods, which is substantially higher than the regular rates. What was your 2nd meter install cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego