Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,352,701 times

Advertisements

I was just curious if anyone on this San Diego forum owns a Tesla Model S or plans to? After it won the Motor Trend Car of the Year, I seriously started considering to get one. I am really amazed by the technology. I don't really consider myself one of those people that are super "Green" and always thinking about the environment. And I wouldn't even consider myself a "car guy".

I bought a clean burning diesel TDI Audi SUV not so much for the environment but because it got much better gas mileage.

But after it won the award, I went over to the showroom at the Westfield UTC and they look pretty cool.
The driving range seems incredible but then I read the negative NYT article/review about it. It's interesting following that drama and Elon Musk is claiming the review is fake.

Still, the 200 mile range that he got would be well within what I'd use it for here in San Diego and of course we don't have to worry about the brutally cold weather on the battery.

I found the saga interesting. Anyone else following?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/au...tomobiles&_r=0

The Charges Are Flying Over a Test of Tesla's Charging Network - NYTimes.com

Tesla's Elon Musk fires back at the New York Times - Economy

Tesla Steps Up Defense of New Car After NYT Test Drive - Bloomberg

Anyone in San Diego have one or planning to get one? Inquiring minds want to know. If so, I'd personally love to hear about your experiences. If you could post or feel free to PM me.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 02-14-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,235,819 times
I marvel at the technology but have no interest in giving up a first born. Have you seen the Fisker? I like this design a little better
Fisker Karma Overview

A friend of mine on the east coast is on back order for the Tesla S and has been for several months (like the article talks about with turn around times) and she is pretty ticked about it actually. Throw in this negative NY Times article and its kind of like salt in the wound for something she dropped a pretty penny on and still hasnt received yet.

She is an 'early adopter' type and relaly LOVES driving so for her its really exciting regardless of who will be around to fix it or tune it up after the first year

EDIT: For technology related gadgets like this, I typically like to stay away from first gen products especially because its really unproven in the real marketplace (not lab or road testing)and manufacturing spec could draw some questions.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 02-14-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 791,084 times
We're not in the market for a new car right now, but if we were I would take a serious look.

I'm also not a raving tree-hugger or car-nut. Even if I were extremely Green . . . there are some good counterarguments about just how green an EV really is, when you consider where our electricity comes from, the energy required to build the batteries, the issue of disposing them etc.

But all I can tell you - I had the chance to drive an all-electric Mini for a year and I LOVED it. As an engineer, I just really dig the inherent simplicity and efficiency of an electric drive versus something that requires bringing air, electricity and a very dangerous fluid into a controlled explosion every hundredth of a second. The experience of driving one is eerie but cool . . . completely quiet, and always max-torque-off-the-line, with no transmission, so it's like a rocket sled. Great fun.

MINI E | MINIUSA.com

Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,235,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
We're not in the market for a new car right now, but if we were I would take a serious look.

I'm also not a raving tree-hugger or car-nut. Even if I were extremely Green . . . there are some good counterarguments about just how green an EV really is, when you consider where our electricity comes from, the energy required to build the batteries, the issue of disposing them etc.

But all I can tell you - I had the chance to drive an all-electric Mini for a year and I LOVED it. As an engineer, I just really dig the inherent simplicity and efficiency of an electric drive versus something that requires bringing air, electricity and a very dangerous fluid into a controlled explosion every hundredth of a second. The experience of driving one is eerie but cool . . . completely quiet, and always max-torque-off-the-line, with no transmission, so it's like a rocket sled. Great fun.

MINI E | MINIUSA.com

Ooooh I saw one of these and I'll bet they drive as well as they look. Love those eMini Coopers

Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks guys. I'm definitely not interested in the Fiskar. I've read too many negative reviews on those and not sure they will be around longer term. But winning the Motor Trend Car of the year was a good accomplishment.

Its probably wise I guess to wait another year to see how things will work out for Tesla but Musk seems to have too much pride to let this thing fail.

Man technology amazes me.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,519 times
My sister has a Tesla. And she drives it in Alaska.

So if it works for her there, I can't imagine it would be a problem here.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
My sister has a Tesla. And she drives it in Alaska.

So if it works for her there, I can't imagine it would be a problem here.

Tony, how long has she had it? How does she like it? Any complaints at all?

Yeah, absolutely with our weather it sounds like it should be ideal but I haven't heard from anyone in San Diego that actually has one. I'd love to hear someone that has one here how they like it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,003,683 times
I just caught the tail end of a story about the Tesla on NPR on the way home, I'll see if I can Fonda link.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,270,783 times
You might want to jump over to the CD Auto Forum....there is a thread running on them there. Hubby is an absolute car guy, and he says not yet. First time out and they have yet to prove themselves. Plus, they are entirely too quiet for us! Can't even tell it's running! We also have spoken to a few owners.....the mileage stated is purely on how conservative you drive. One guy, who says he likes to run the car, not necessarily beating it, gets 80 miles, not the 200 stated.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,270,783 times
Just bumped the thread over in the Auto forum for you.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...a-failure.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego