Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,267 times

Advertisements

I am 30y/o single female and I am wondering where is the best/safest place in San Diego to live. My job is in the mission valley area. I currently live in the Inland Empire and I am excited about moving to SD. Any suggestion on where to live? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,267 times
I forgot to say that I am looking for a 1 bedroom for around 1100 (if possible). Thanks!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
You have a ton of options. Mission Valley is centrally located and close to a lot of neighborhoods. Hillcrest, North Park, Mission Hills, Normal Heights, Kensington and downtown are all pretty close, safe, and all have a good amount of people in their 30s. Where I live in University Heights is literally a 5 minute drive down Texas to Mission Valley. It really just depends on your budget and what kind of neighborhood you are looking for.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2784 View Post
I forgot to say that I am looking for a 1 bedroom for around 1100 (if possible). Thanks!
You should have no issue finding a 1BR at that price point in any of the areas I listed except for downtown..

Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Depends on the type of building/neighborhood you'd like....
If you want older 50's or 20's style, walkable neighborhoods, that sort of urban thing, look at Mission Hills, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, University Heights, Kensington North Park and South Park. Some areas of some of these locations, will be hit or miss in terms of safety, sometimes by block. In general, the further from the following streets, the better: University Ave, El Cajon Blvd, Adams Ave. Ask around and google the neighborhoods for pics. These all have a definite hipster element, and are considered among the more liberal areas of SD, for the most part, as well. I would say the best restaurants in the city, as well [exceptions exist, of course]

If you want to be closer to the beach, which will be slightly further commute wise, and are not into mega party/frat/tanning and tattoo scene, stay away from Pacific beach, Mission Beach and Ocean Beach. [or, if you are into that, look there]. Instead, check out North PB, La Jolla, Encinitas and Solana Beach [though these will be further commutes]. Solana Beach is a bit yuppie, beautiful, lots of boutiques with still some surfer vibe from its past....Encinitas has more of a hippie element, also great stores and shops and restaurants....great, easily accessible beaches, etc.

To be very close to Mission Valley: up the hill in Normal Heights and University Heights, you are very centrally located-will probably take you 10 minutes, depending on where in MV the location is....look north of Adams Ave, in normal heights....and slightly away from Park Blvd [main drag] in University Heights.

Your price point will get you more in: Normal Heights, North Park and Univ. Heights, than in the other areas....
If you want/don't mind sterile 'resort style complexes', check MV itself-you'll get pool, tennis, clubhouse lots of amenities,etc. Not sure what one bedrooms are going for there, at this time....

Good luck!

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-16-2013 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 5,732 times
I live in Nort Park. The area is nice, the rent of one bedroom apartment between 900-1100$ per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego