Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Tony, I assume you know all Bengals are not banned. In those States that do, such as NYC, they must be F5 and above. Unless, someone paid mega thousands for their Bengal, it won't be anywhere near F1 or F2, TICA says all SBT F4 and up are considered Domestic cats and therefore legal. My son owns 2 bengals and they are the sweetest and smartest cats around!
Iowa, Connecticut, Hawaii, and Alaska ban all hybrids. It doesn't matter how many generations removed they are from the Asian leopard cat, they are banned.

It's ridiculous. As you know, bengals are very intelligent and playful cats. But because of ridiculous laws, they are banned in these states.

So I have a lot of sympathy for owners of pit bulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I can sympathize too - I know it's the owner and not the dog.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM

32 posts, read 69,093 times
Oh yea, for rentals, try calling apartment locators in the SD area and also, some real estate companies have rentals listed and may be able to find you an individual that would be willing to rent to you. See if you can sign a waivier that does not hold the owner liable if something happens. I am sure your dog is nice and not a biter but being the owner of Dobermans, I know people can discriminate. Even more so for Pit Bulls.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 AM

42 posts, read 48,165 times
I am not complaining about the higher COL. I just stated a fact. Our company has a couple of hotels in SD.

An hour commute wouldn't be bad. That's what I had when I lived in Wisconsin, and in winter when it was icy my commute was a lot longer than that.

I could get her certified as a service dog, that would be a problem, but it would be in my home state.

I could also do fine with places with schools that aren't all that great. I'm not sending my son back to public school next year, so if we move I just may not put him in school out there.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other places. I will check them out.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM

30 posts, read 48,134 times
You may also want to check out Poway. Some of the best schools in the County, closer to San Diego than Ramona, but still areas that feel like the "country." Not sure if your budget will be enough for Poway (it's pretty expensive) - but still worth checking out.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsideMom View Post
You may also want to check out Poway. Some of the best schools in the County, closer to San Diego than Ramona, but still areas that feel like the "country." Not sure if your budget will be enough for Poway (it's pretty expensive) - but still worth checking out.
Poway is too large for sweeping generalizations. It has areas that are pretty expensive. It has areas that are less so. I'm not sure you'll have any easier of a time finding a place that will accept your pit bull, though.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Where will you be working? Realize that being in the country means that your commute to your job may be a long one.

Obviously, if you live in a more rural area, your cost will go down. But the bigger question is, if you're complaining about the high cost of living already, do your really want to make the move?
This is not true in san diego county any more....Fallbrook, Ramona-it's all pricey....
OP could try the outskirts of Temecula and Murrietta, where you'd get more for your money in terms of rental houses....
El Cajon is very iffy in terms of safety.
Also, OP: plenty of virtual public schools [usually charter] and tons of charter schools. Charter schools, in case you are unfamiliar with them, are public, but state funded instead of district funded. They are open to any student residing in CA [some have county and adjacent county enrollment boundaries, but most are state wide].
SD in particular has MANY home school hybrid charters, where students can opt to attend 2 or 3 days on site, and the rest at home. As well as numerous virtual only. New ones open annually, too. In addition you have a choice of special focus charter schools that are full time day schools. Google is your friend; off the top of my head, some of the hybrid home school or full time home school charters are: Julian, The Learning Choice, Classical Academy, Dehesa Charter
Some of these schools have multiple site locations, too, usually central, north and east county locations.

Additionally, San Diego Unified lists the charter schools within their district boundaries, on their website.

As far as pitbulls, I have no idea, since it's a case by case basis. I'm sure some landlord, somewhere, allows them, though my guess would be not wide and far acceptance.

As far as cost, I can say that I live in an upscale coastal area [carmel valley] and pay $1460/month for a 2/2 apartment, no garage, w/d in unit and nice amenities: pool, tennis, clubhouse etc. Just to give you an idea of the ranges available all over the county. [It varies greatly even within specific areas of the county; in the past, you could generally say 'such and such is expensive, and that area is cheap'. Not so anymore.]

LA is a pretty easy drive. Or a horrible drive. Depending on: Where in LA county your friend is, and what time of day you are travelling.

Good luck w/your pending move.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-22-2013 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica456 View Post
Try Ramona, Fallbrook, Boulavard. Not sure if these rural towns will allow your dog. I own two Doberman Pinchers and have been told noone will rent to me. I am trying to move there from Dallas. In Dallas, I have had three people in nice, safe areas rent to me. I am trying to buy because of this reason. If I found someone to rent to me, that would be great also. You may try putting an ad in housing wanted on Craigs List but be sure and check out the area being offered to make sure it is not in a scary area. Also, I would be careful giving out any info to someone responding to the ad like your SSN and sending the money upfront.

You may have to end up buying if you are willing and able to. You may want to look at land for sale ect... I think Pit Bulls are more restricted then Dobermans in CA but I could be wrong on this. Only someone who is from there would know that for sure.

I know a real estate man that I think can get you into a manufactured home park but I think you will have to buy. I know this is not an ideal way to live. It is very affordable. It is in El Cajon. Not sure if it is safe, never been there.
A quick search on this forum will show that El Cajon has many negatives going for it-including lack of safety. There are really nice parts of EC, too, and some old ranch areas that have been around for decades plus....but the majority is a no go zone.

I know this is stereotyping, but my guess is that pitbulls are more likely in certain areas of SD, including: Santee, El Cajon, Valley Center? But it's purely a guess on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego