Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM

335 posts, read 974,412 times

Advertisements

I currently live in central NJ, and I'm looking for a change. I'm sick of the combination of high cost of living, traffic and cold weather here.

Can someone compare the pros and cons of living in San Diego, CA vs. Orlando, FL vs. Houston, TX vs Virginia Beach, VA, with regards to factors such as cost of living, quality of schools, safety, hurricane and flooding risk, diversity of residents and differences in year round humidity?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
If cost of living is your top priority, then San Diego should be at the bottom of your list. Sky-high property costs. And that's only the beginning. California taxes are the highest in the nation, including income and sales taxes. Among the highest gas prices in the nation, including the gas tax. Water and electricity are pretty expensive too. The kicker is San Diego wages are not commensurate with the increased living costs.

The problem is, on all your other criteria, I'd put San Diego at number one. Low humidity, great weather, for the most part it's pretty darn safe, and good public schools can be found in the right neighboorhoods. Diversity is good, people are pretty tolerant, there are gay-friendly neighborhoods where gay and straight get along very well, etc. Hurricane and flooding risk are nonexistent, though if there were a 9.5+ earthquake somewhere in the Pacific rim, I suppose a tsunami is possible. And yes, we infrequently get small quakes here.

But if you want to live where the good schools are, expect to pay a lot of $, because lots of other people also want what arguably is one of the top places in the U.S. for weather, sunshine, humidity, and a moderately laid-back and healthy lifestyle, because you can surely find it here. But it is going to cost you.

If I was young, and either starting out or trying to start a family, no way would I launch in San Diego, I'd go to Houston or Virginia. I'd go for the biggest salary I could reap, reduce my living costs as low as possible, invest the money and have that money working for me all day and all night in productive assets. San Diego can wait until you are flush with assets.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM

335 posts, read 974,412 times
USDefault,

Thank you for your insight.

Do you think San Diego's cost of living would be comparable to living in central NJ (my current location) with regards to housing costs and property taxes?

Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
USDefault,

Do you think San Diego's cost of living would be comparable to living in central NJ (my current location) with regards to housing costs and property taxes?
As high or higher IMO. My Long Island high school was ranked higher than any in San Diego and you can still buy a nice home there for 400k and commute to a six figure NYC job. Same schools in SD would cost big big bucks and no manhattan job market here. NJ is super expensive too but when you start factoring in schools SD gets stratospheric.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Yeah it seems like the only thing you have to factor in is whether you want kids or not. If you want to be in SD and have kids, be prepared to make major adjustments to your lifestyle.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Sassberto is spot on as usual.

I have family in Monmouth County and in one of the best school districts in the state. An average house there is ~400-500k for a family sized home. Property taxes (county, city etc) total 20k+ annually.

Here a 400k house would be $4800 annually give or take a few hundred depending on area for property taxes.

School problems in regards to budgets and funding are not specific to the SD area, but that seems more of a systemic issue across the country more so than region per se.

A 400k house comparable in size, right now, would put you in an average at best district. Some of the school districts for that price might have some brighter spots here and there as far as schools but it requires doing lots of research because of dividing lines in certain areas etc.

The point, is the premium spots can get pricey here or have some other factor baked in like brutal commute times M-F.

Of course any level headed parent wants the best for the kids right now, not in 10 years when an area right now might be going through some gentrification or shifting school rankings.

Havent a clue about Orlando or VA Beach schools or lifestyle.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM

65 posts, read 196,849 times
IMO i would take Virginia Beach off your list, As someone who has live in SD, Orlando, and currently in Virgina Beach (I can't speak for TX) (I've also lived in NC and WI as well).I'd take Virgina Beach off your list, you'll hate life there, nothing but crappy housing with questionable neighborhoods, a horrible highway system (Bridge-tunnels), the only good schools are in Chesapeake, VA. The Virginia Beach beaches are bland, boring, out dated and touristy. If your trying to be in the mid east coast I'd say Raleigh/ Cary, NC area, if your trying to be closer to the water look into maybe Wilmington, NC (Provided you can find work in Wilmington thats it's down fall)

Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
I currently live in central NJ, and I'm looking for a change. I'm sick of the combination of high cost of living, traffic and cold weather here.

Can someone compare the pros and cons of living in San Diego, CA vs. Orlando, FL vs. Houston, TX vs Virginia Beach, VA, with regards to factors such as cost of living, quality of schools, safety, hurricane and flooding risk, diversity of residents and differences in year round humidity?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback!
I don't know much about Orlando so I can't help you there but I do know Houston is an arm pit. A dirty, sweaty, stinking, polluted, arm pit. Sure, it's cheap and the buildings are new but it's still an arm pit while the schools in Texas are legendary for being horrid. To compare San Diego is damn near paradise with perfect weather, friendly people (in that everyone is polite though they do have a "I'll do my thing and you do your thing" type of outlook which some people love and others dislike), loads of parks and open spaces to do outdoor activities, a great dining scene, far more cultural activities than a wasteland like Houston can boast, and lots of different micro climates from the beaches to the mountains to the deserts east of the mountains. For shear beauty and geographical diversity of landforms San Diego wins hands down.

Now, a truly beautiful and wonderful place to live is highly in demand and thus prices are not cheap but lots of us find it worth while to pay the cost especially if you can afford to pay extra. The quality of life is top notch, the schools are great (especially if your kids go to Poway Unified or San Dieguito), wrt to safety San Diego is routinely named the safest big city in America wrt low violent crime rates, there is no hurrican or flood risk unless you live in one of a few well known river valleys, while there is very little humidity and the city probably has the best weather in the entire country. You can find a nice 5 bed, 4 bath place for ~$420,000 so, yes, it costs a bit more but it's worth it imho.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
USDefault,

The property tax rates in Texas are about twice as much as in California on average. That said, property values are higher in California so even at a lower rate the amount owed can be about even. I will say that for your property taxes you do get more services in California than in Texas with more and better schools, more parks and open spaces, more and better libraries, more city beautification efforts, better police and fire coverage, etc...

Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Sassberto is spot on as usual.

I have family in Monmouth County and in one of the best school districts in the state. An average house there is ~400-500k for a family sized home. Property taxes (county, city etc) total 20k+ annually.

Here a 400k house would be $4800 annually give or take a few hundred depending on area for property taxes.

A 400k house comparable in size, right now, would put you in an average at best district. Some of the school districts for that price might have some brighter spots here and there as far as schools but it requires doing lots of research because of dividing lines in certain areas etc.

The point, is the premium spots can get pricey here or have some other factor baked in like brutal commute times M-F.

Yep. I totally agree with Sassberto and Shmoov. I have a lot of clients up in the NYC/NJ area. The thing they are always complaining about is their monster property tax bills. As Shmoov mentioned, you can have a $500k house have up to $20,000+ in annual property taxes. I have clients with expensive properties and they tell me they pay upwards of $50,000 a year in annual property taxes. That's nuts to me!

The important take away that Sassberto mentioned, is they can easily get over to NYC and get a high paying job. That isn't always the case here in San Diego with a less desirable labor market for the most part.

It's not just more expensive areas like NJ/NYC with high property taxes. Even more affordable areas like Dallas or other parts of Texas can have sky high annual % property taxes. Some approaching 3% a year. So while you save in no state income tax, they nail you with property taxes. My friend has a place about the same value as my house and he pays over $27,000 a year in property taxes there in Dallas. While here in San Diego I pay $10,000 a year (after paying off Mello Roos taxes).

Plus we have Prop 13 here which limits future property tax increases.

Quality of life if you can afford it will definitely be the highest in San Diego. I've not lived in some of those other cities but have visited each of them several times and I'd take San Diego anyday of the week if you can comfortably afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego