Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 AM

765 posts, read 2,431,699 times

Advertisements

We are looking to rent a vacation home in San Diego for a week in June and had some questions about where to book. I have found rentals in the Mission Beach area, and see that dogs aren't allowed on the beach from 9am - 6pm. That's fine - I'm sure the hot sand would burn his paws. But how strict are the beach patrols? If you head out at 5:30pm or are coming home at 9:30, will they slap you with a ticket?

What about around the bay? One of the rentals is on Mission Bay. It looks like Mission Bay has sandy beach walking areas. Are dogs allowed on the beaches in the bay during the day?

The other area we are looking at is La Jolla - where it says that dogs are NEVER allowed on the beach - although there is a dog friendly beach walking distance from the place we are looking at.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,961,699 times
Coronado Dog Beach

Coronado good for you = nice village water and good for the pooch.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM

192 posts, read 249,927 times
Mission Beach is really cute. There is a lot to do there. You can walk your dog along the "boardwalk" anytime...they just limit it on the beach.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,522,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
Mission Beach is really cute. There is a lot to do there. You can walk your dog along the "boardwalk" anytime...they just limit it on the beach.
There's a NO DOGS sign on the Mission Beach boardwalk every hundred feet. The lifeguards seldom enforce the law because they are too busy rescuing people.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 99,230 times
Coronado has an off leash dog beach, but vacation homes/hotels will be MUCH more expensive. Ocean Beach has a dog beach that is very popular, and isn't too far from Mission Beach. Fiesta Island in Mission Bay allows off leash dogs, but I'm not sure I'd think of it as a beach. Assuming you have a car, you could just go to that beach. Also, if you can find a place near Del Mar or Solana Beach, there is another on-leash dog beach during the summer. Encinitas also has Cardiff State Beach which allows on leash dogs.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,540,597 times
I don't have a dog, but having seen the dog beaches I'd first go for something near Fiesta Island, second for something near Dog Beach just north of Ocean Beach. And I might even swap those two - they both seem great for the dogs. I don't know anything about vacation rentals in those areas, sorry.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,686,861 times
Plenty of good suggestions here, but be aware that June is our cloudiest month of the year. There's no guarantee that it will be warm and sunny during the week you are visiting.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,431,699 times
Quote:
Plenty of good suggestions here, but be aware that June is our cloudiest month of the year.
So frustrating - but thanks for that....I live in San Jose, and when it's 90 here in the summer, we will head to the beach to find it 60 and overcast. Sigh..... We were planning on going down for the last week of June.

I've been making inquiries for Del Mar as well - the complex I'm looking at has stairs leading to the beach - but I'm wondering how long is the beach???

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,686,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
So frustrating - but thanks for that....I live in San Jose, and when it's 90 here in the summer, we will head to the beach to find it 60 and overcast. Sigh..... We were planning on going down for the last week of June.

I've been making inquiries for Del Mar as well - the complex I'm looking at has stairs leading to the beach - but I'm wondering how long is the beach???
The worst time is late May through early June. The closer to July would be better, so it could be in the 70's and sunny or in the 60's and cloudy. Total crapshoot.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,948,515 times
Take your dog to Dog Beach, which is immediately south of Mission Beach, and at the north end of Ocean Beach.

Dogs get to run on the beach and play in the ocean.

It's an entire beach area dedicated for dog use.

You get there by driving towards Ocean Beach.

There is no way to get to Dog Beach directly from Mission Beach since the two beaches are separated by an inlet with no connecting bridge.

Dog Beach in Ocean Beach San Diego - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego