U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 AM

11 posts, read 19,879 times
Default Would you still move to SD?

First of all, I hope all of you recover quickly from such a catastrophe, I am so very sorry for those who lost their homes. I hope CA recovers quickly. I love CA!
We recently moved for work from CA (the Bay Area) to MA. I am missing the ocean big time and eventhough the weather is still nice right now I am dreading the idea of a real winter where I have to shovel snow . I don't tolerate cold climates very well. I also find that in CA it was so much easier to meet people and make good friends, I really miss my friends!!
My husband got an opportunity now to move to SD and we were seriously talking about it.
Would the fires now stop you from moving?
We were considering La Jolla or Del Mar, or any nice community, safe and with good schools (private or public) to raise up our son.

Thank you for any suggestions and your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 66,329 times
Good question. As another East Coaster (Virginia) considering moving to San Diego I can say that the fires don't have a big effect on my decision. Maybe I would be less likely to live in the communities right up against the mountains. It's been nice to see how the people of San Diego are pulling together during this tragedy. As an outsider trying to get a feel of what the city is really like all of the press there has helped in that regard because they're talking about San Diego and my overall impression of the people there has only improved.

I guess it could potentially affect my decision if insurers made major changes and wouldn't insure properties there. I definitely wouldn't want to live anywhere in CA without good insurance but from what I've been reading that's unlikely to happen as this type of thing is built into premiums for California.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 AM

24,581 posts, read 29,948,526 times
This is not the type of thing that would deter one from moving somewhere. Hardly.

my 2 cents.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 AM

546 posts, read 1,337,885 times
I hear you guys. I'm in Miami and my g/f and I are strongly considering moving to SD in March. She's from CA so she's used to the wildfire scares. We have our hurricanes and every region has their natural catastrophe every few years.

West:Earthquakes, Fires
Midwest: Floods, Tornadoes and Hurricanes in the Gulf
East: Snowstorms, blizzards and Hurricanes in the Southeast

But I wouldn't let it deter my interest in the area, we are planning on living in Mission Valley which is closer to the water. I wouldn't feel comfortable living inland...my thoughts and prayers with those who have had to deal with this tragedy.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM

3,067 posts, read 5,526,682 times
The only thing that would deter me from moving to CA (if I didn't already live here) is the cost of living.

As 305guy mentioned, other parts of the country have their own natural disasters to contend with. Frankly, I'd rather deal with the rare, out-of-control fires that we experience in San Diego than the yearly hurricane seasons in Florida.

We're considering moving north towards Encinitas within the next couple of years. The recent fires cemented in our minds that we don't want to move inland towards Scripps/Poway/RB/RP areas. (Too hot anyway during the summer!)

Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,107,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syanae View Post
First of all, I hope all of you recover quickly from such a catastrophe, I am so very sorry for those who lost their homes. I hope CA recovers quickly. I love CA!
We recently moved for work from CA (the Bay Area) to MA. I am missing the ocean big time and eventhough the weather is still nice right now I am dreading the idea of a real winter where I have to shovel snow . I don't tolerate cold climates very well. I also find that in CA it was so much easier to meet people and make good friends, I really miss my friends!!
My husband got an opportunity now to move to SD and we were seriously talking about it.
Would the fires now stop you from moving?
We were considering La Jolla or Del Mar, or any nice community, safe and with good schools (private or public) to raise up our son.

Thank you for any suggestions and your input!
Wouldn't deter me one bit. Something could happen slipping in the tub. I hope that you make a decision that is good and right for you. Wishing you all the best.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM

11 posts, read 19,879 times
Thank you everyone for all the answers.
We are pretty much settled on moving, it is going to be a question of when.
It is good to hear opinions supporting our decision
Quite frankly if it was to me, the earlier the better, so we can cut on the winter days here, bbbrrrrr....
Again best of luck to everyone returning to their homes hopefully in the same condition as evacuated. And sorry for anyone who lost theirs.
Congratulations on the big solidarity movement, I agree with a previous poster, if at all it makes me appreciate it even more, now knowing a little bit more how the people are there.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 14,098 times
I live here in San Diego, even with the fires & all happening here i believe San Diego is the Finest City in the world!!!!!!! we came together & we helped each other out in a time of need.....what happened with us with the fires could happen anywhere.....
You will love it here San Diego also is known for the best weather in the world, if you r worried about fires move closer to the ocean if that will make you feel more comfortable, thats where i live by the beautiful ocean......
& on another note when moving here Welcome to San Diego Neighbor!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth

Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,468,091 times
Yeah, I doubt it's going to deter anyone. If you want to live somewhere without any natural disasters or excessive extreme temperatures then just about your only option is Salt Lake City.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 AM

50 posts, read 131,717 times
Yep, sure will. And I hope to be an asset to the city because of my optimistic outlook. (Our thoughts create our reality and all that.)

I believe I was a Native American in one of my more recent (linear) lifetimes, and I'd love to find a group that teaches us how to rain dance. Hey, the more people doing this, the more good vibes we'll put out there....and maybe we could rustle up some badly needed moisture!

You think I'm kidding, right? Seriously, are there any groups like this I could join once I'm down there? If there aren't, there ought to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego