Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM

15 posts, read 29,834 times

Advertisements

Thats not bad, and it sounds cool, I'm just not sure if it's for me, also keep in mind i'd be getting home around 6/7pm every day so I'd only really be able to enjoy the beach on the weekends. I've heard North Park is also really cool, and that i'd fit in pretty well over there, but I'm not super artsy, or an uber hipster. I've also heard that I should live in Clairemont as it's a good central location, it'll be easier to get to work. But it seems like there is nothing around there, and I would have to drive everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 32,226 times
Its not for everyone, that's true, but there are *every* kind of people in OB, skaters, preps, hipsters, bros, old hippies, young professionals, many beautiful girls of all varieties. For my money its the least pretentious most diverse neighborhood in San Diego.

North Park and Normal Heights are great, being near Balboa is definitely a huge plus; Adams is a great corridor. Clairemont IMHO is a bedroom community, not much going on there that you wouldn't be getting in the car for. But I don't spend any time there, so I wouldn't really know, honestly.
But if you want to be close to the water, and still have the things you mentioned, I think that OB would be a good fit for you.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM

21 posts, read 32,226 times
*edit*, also if you're working at 9 and living in OB, dawn patrol is where its at. Have a coffee, get on the wetsuit and go for a swim, or a ride or two. No better way to start the day. Its hard to be stressed out when you get in the water daily.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
One word: Cardiff!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
If you want to live near work and save money Mira Mesa would be your best option. If you want to be around mostly people your own age then Pacific Beach is the way to go, if you want to be at the beach but around a mix of different age groups (but aren't that worried about the dog having a big backyard) Ocean Beach is where you want, if you really don't care about the dog having a yard but want to be around the young and successful urban types then try Little Italy.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
My husband and I live in OB and love it. We are not in your demographic age wise. We are quiet professionals who just want to be near the water in a chilled out atmosphere and be able to walk everywhere. As far as OB, we live on the so called wrong side of the tracks (North OB), but I can tell you it is not like the stereo types. it is extremely quiet for being very densely populated. in only gets a little loud on holiday summer weekends or special events. People are mostly your age in my area, and there are definitely professionals, but they don't define themselves by what they do as much as the blowhards in other areas. South OB is really nice, but since we were buying we were priced out. Renting may not be that much of a difference. the biggest challenge will be finding pet friendly housing. There are dogs EVERYWHERE in OB, but then many of the rental signs I see say no pets...

As far as being a 9-5 working stiff (I have to be in at 8, do you have an extra hour!), you most certainly can enjoy the beach throughout the week. I walk many mornings and in the summer I went swimming after work many days a week. We also just walk down and watch the sunset many nights. Like any beach or urban area there are the homeless, but I have never been bothered by anyone. Love it here. Mrmath described OB very well!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdro View Post
Thats not bad, and it sounds cool, I'm just not sure if it's for me, also keep in mind i'd be getting home around 6/7pm every day so I'd only really be able to enjoy the beach on the weekends. I've heard North Park is also really cool, and that i'd fit in pretty well over there, but I'm not super artsy, or an uber hipster.
I'm neither and I enjoyed my time there.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
One word: Cardiff!
That's a thought! Gorgeous little town, the whole town is within a few blocks of the ocean, plenty of young people, and close to UTC by freeway. It's definitely not an urban setting, though - not clear whether the OP is interested.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmath View Post
Its not for everyone, that's true, but there are *every* kind of people in OB, skaters, preps, hipsters, bros, old hippies, young professionals, many beautiful girls of all varieties. For my money its the least pretentious most diverse neighborhood in San Diego.

North Park and Normal Heights are great, being near Balboa is definitely a huge plus; Adams is a great corridor. Clairemont IMHO is a bedroom community, not much going on there that you wouldn't be getting in the car for. But I don't spend any time there, so I wouldn't really know, honestly.
But if you want to be close to the water, and still have the things you mentioned, I think that OB would be a good fit for you.
Good post. People who live in OB tend to love it. It's the residents who make that neighborhood so great, warts and all.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Look, there are going to be warts no matter where you live. It does sound like you're digging OB, and based on your criteria, that may be a good place to be.

North Park and Ab-Normal Heights have their quirks as well and they may fit your criteria, with a shorter drive.

But if you want beach, well, they ain't got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego