Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 40,883 times

Advertisements

Assume you have two job opportunities, one in Louisville making 28k and one in San Diego making 42k annually. Which would you choose? Single person, in their 50's. No family. For the sake of comparison, let's say you've been living in poverty to start with, on less than $1000 per month.
Every comparison I've calculated comes out almost dead even, with a slight edge to San Diego. I know the salary for each location is barely making it. Is 42k enough to make it in San Diego (Powway, Mira Mesa, Carlsbad region) coming from a poverty lifestyle to begin with?
Serious question.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM

21 posts, read 32,175 times
If you're on your own 42k is *vastly* preferable - and if youre used to living on 1k a month and you live within a 1-2 gallon commute to the job you can certainly make it.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM

86 posts, read 153,139 times
It is certainly doable, some family units don't even make 42k but they find a way to scrape by. It'll be tight, but if you're frugal, penny-wise and will not be commuting 40 miles per day for work, you can certainly make it work. Gas prices in SD are just out of control.

On the flip side, besides expensive gas prices, there's so many outdoor amenities you can partake in and a good number of them are free. I don't know anything about the Appalachian country, but it sure isn't San Diego...in a single county you have a mixture of coastal, inland, mountain and desert landscape, heck you can even find country living here if that's your thing. Am not sure there are many places that can claim that bragging rights.

Also, I think the standard of living here in San Diego is better than other places...California is such a protected state, and the residents are far more protected with sweeping laws, though not always good.

If 28k in Louisville is comparable to 42k for "paradise" living, heck I'd go for the 42k city in a jiffy.
You'll get so much more for the 42k in this case- remember the weather, beaches, Zoo and many others. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,970,781 times
Let's go to the Bankrate.com cost of living comparison.

According to it, in order to maintain the lifestyle you can live in Louisville on $28K, you need a little less than $41K in San Diego.

So you come out a grand ahead and you live in a better city.

Any questions?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for your insight. I'm somewhat familiar with the area as I lived there for about a year. Now, to try and find a nice private room situation from long distance. It seems most Craigslisters are reluctant to deal with someone relocating.

For informational purposes, in case anyone else is interested, Louisville is not really Appalachia. It's a major metropolitan city (1.3 Million Metro). Although, it is just a two-hour drive to the foothills of the Appalachians.

I'm excited about returning to San Diego.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:54 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
I'd take the $42k job in San Diego.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM

7,069 posts, read 16,692,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfJames View Post
Thanks to everyone for your insight. I'm somewhat familiar with the area as I lived there for about a year. Now, to try and find a nice private room situation from long distance. It seems most Craigslisters are reluctant to deal with someone relocating.

For informational purposes, in case anyone else is interested, Louisville is not really Appalachia. It's a major metropolitan city (1.3 Million Metro). Although, it is just a two-hour drive to the foothills of the Appalachians.

I'm excited about returning to San Diego.
Louisville is a MUCH MUCH cheaper city to live in. I would give it some very serious thought. Californians have no idea what to expect in a city like Louisville. Not only is it a major city, it has many of the amenities of a bigger city like SD without the hassle--less traffic, crime, etc. Louisville is like a different country compared to SD, but that is not a bad thing. It is apples to oranges. And Louisville is most certainly not Appalachia. Not even close.

That said, SD may be the best overall all around city in the US. Where else can you get near constant temps on the coast and close to mountains, all in a city with very well manicured suburbs and probably a top 10 downtown area.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,830,255 times
Interesting question...since you say you are "in your 50's", I don't know if that means 52 or 58. It could make a big difference in terms of retirement planning. At $42K, taxes are high in CA and COL is high. L'ville COL is alot cheaper (I have researched retirement there). Also, which job seems more secure (tough question to answer these days). In your 50's, which job might you be more likely to be laid off?

You lived here before for a year, so something made you leave the first time.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Interesting question...since you say you are "in your 50's", I don't know if that means 52 or 58. It could make a big difference in terms of retirement planning. At $42K, taxes are high in CA and COL is high. L'ville COL is alot cheaper (I have researched retirement there). Also, which job seems more secure (tough question to answer these days). In your 50's, which job might you be more likely to be laid off?

You lived here before for a year, so something made you leave the first time.
That's Louisville, Kentucky. :-) I left the first time because my girlfriend (who had lived there 20 years) wanted to move back to the midwest to be closer to her family. Unfortunately, she also wanted to be closer to her second ex-husband, who is now also her fourth husband.

I've taken the San Diego job (IT industry), which seems pretty secure. At least as much as any other job these days.

Thanks again to everyone who responded, including the moderators comments. I did give it some serious thought. The "healthiness' factor of San Diego ended up being the biggest influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego