Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,948,581 times

Advertisements

When would be the best time of year to look for a SFH in an area within approximately 10 miles of the coast between Oceanside and SD? Are there times of the year that there might be more inventory available, or when houses might be of slightly better value? The person is retired, so schools and driving are not issues, and the price range might be 400-500K. I'm not actively looking yet, but might be in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM

358 posts, read 582,539 times
In the summer, you'll have more inventory to choose from but you'll also have more buyers to compete with. In the winter, you'll have less inventory but also less competition. So, winter, you'll usually see more value, but you might not be able to find the house you want.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,241,864 times
Generally speaking docmcstuffin reply is in line with conventional wisdom, but this has been a crazy housing market to say the least.

What is a little different this year is that tables have turned a little and there seems to be a slightly higher percentage of traditional sellers putting their houses on the market vs the lopsided distressed sales or short sale homes that were on the market in the previous years.

Expect to a line of bids on good properties and expand your search for homes in a slightly lower listing bracket knowing that it might get bid upwards to meet closer to what you are comfortable spending.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,966,735 times
The answer is, when you're ready to move.

Sure, there may be some seasonal variation, but the bottom line is it makes sense to start looking when you're ready to move. In this market, if you say, oh, but my lease isn't up until three months from now, I want to wait to close until then you ain't getting the place. There will be someone who wants to move in far more quickly, who will say, I'll match that offer and close in 30 days.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM

358 posts, read 582,539 times
Yes, I was talking about conventional wisdom. tonyinsd has it right. The best time to buy is when you're ready. Then, after that, you have to decide for yourself where you think the housing market will go. My crystal ball is broken, so I can't tell you if this winter, you'll see a price decrease or not. But historically, things slows down in the winter because family don't want to move in the winter. But this year could be different. We won't know till next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: