Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
The only way you're going to find out is by making the move.

The job search is pointless unless you are willing to relocate before you make the move. Also, set up some consulting company when you move so that you can say you're working as a consultant when they ask what you're doing. Even if all you're doing is giving your family and friends generic financial advice for free, you can still say that you're doing financial consulting. It's not a lie at all. You don't have to disclose your zero dollar per hour rate.
The ART OF LYING....learn from a pro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Bostonhealth,

Nice getting a better picture. I usually always agree with earlyretirement and the most recent post is no exception.

It sounds like you have some degree of sensibility in understanding the risks. As I mentioned, any kind of move like this is a risk, but you help mitigate some of the traps and controllable risks if you have a decent gameplan.

Personal story for me, is that we (wife and I) moved out here and it was because she got a GREAT job oppt. I came along for the ride basically but had plenty of savings. I wound up working in the hotel/restaurant industry for a little over a year before getting into what I wanted to (cellular). I never had any issues meeting people, networking etc but even in 'better' economic times, I needed to be patient until the right oppt came along.

One thing I noticed on the 'Isle of San Diego' is that my international credentials working, going to school, internships etc were basically worthless here. We are from the east coast and I went to east coast schools and international schools. Interviews I went on, people I met from around here, unless they spent time out east could absolutely care less or even acknowledge these credentials as something to be noted. USC, UCLA, UCSD are probably far more impressive on a resume as there are likely far more alumni locally for obvious reasons.
I am not saying what happened to me will happen to you, but I remember growing up out there. Going to school was a pretty big deal and between going to a place like UMASS Amhearst vs UMASS Lowell its sort of a status thing, just as an example.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I think its worth noting as a cultural/social norm difference. You just might not receive some kind of acknowledgement in conversation, thats all.

The healthcare field seems like a solid field just about anywhere and always growing or staying strong. Its not something I know about very well locally or have any tips to give per se. But I do have a neighbor that works for Scripps Health in finance. It pays ok according to him, but not great. He does feel that job stability is the bigger factor there vs maybe making more in another sector doing finance.

The good news is that you are still pretty young and have a long way to go to sink your teeth into a career that is more substantive financially and professionally. With no debt and savings, it sounds like you are in a pretty good position to move out here.
Everyone is different, some can totally 'wing it' and move out with little to nothing and make a great life for themselves by moving, others not so much. But not many people I know that can pull that off, so the only way is to try it. If you do well and rise to the occasion, then cool. If not, lesson learned and getting a taste of a little humble pie can be worth more than you think.

I cant say I agree with Tony either with the 'consultant' role. I for one would read your resume, see your job history etc and think you were a total schiester by putting 'consultant'. It would be unwise to take that kind of advise and sweat it out to see if people will believe you through white lies. Sure you might be able to fool a few, but at your age just be honest if you want to gain traction and real prospects for a career.
Like earlyretirement, I have seen 'consultants' in my industry and really there are only a few that actually have a game plan and legitimate expertise.
Just....dont.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,897 times
Earlyretirement: Not single, but my girlfriend is in a program that is not location dependent. I was thinking about putting the consulting on my resume but have come to the conclusion that landing a part time book keeper job or something along that line, may be more appropriate.

Luckily, I do have a couple connections within SD universities. Whether it gets me a job or not, I do not know. They recommended just as you said, starting from a position in which I may be overqualified, and working my way up. Just a way to get into the system and go from there.

Shmoov: I have looked into Scripps and it appears to be a very impressive network. Healthcare is, as you said, not necessarily the highest paying field, but it is amongst the most stable with high job security. Northern San Diego has a very large clinical trial industry also.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonhealth View Post
Earlyretirement: Not single, but my girlfriend is in a program that is not location dependent. I was thinking about putting the consulting on my resume but have come to the conclusion that landing a part time book keeper job or something along that line, may be more appropriate.

Luckily, I do have a couple connections within SD universities. Whether it gets me a job or not, I do not know. They recommended just as you said, starting from a position in which I may be overqualified, and working my way up. Just a way to get into the system and go from there.

Shmoov: I have looked into Scripps and it appears to be a very impressive network. Healthcare is, as you said, not necessarily the highest paying field, but it is amongst the most stable with high job security. Northern San Diego has a very large clinical trial industry also.

Yeah, skip the "consultant" part on the resume. Trust me. I've seen that MANY times and not too many people successfully pull that off. Even if it looks good on paper, a quick call to a reference typically always trips up that part of the story. I wouldn't ever recommend someone using that term/position on a resume unless they are actually doing substantial work, that if verified will actually make you look good. And also I wouldn't put it down unless you're actually getting paid.

Sure, book keeper or whatever, if appropriate MIGHT make sense but you just have to see because many times it just seems corny being a "book keeper" for a family member or friend or whatever. In this day and age, especially in San Diego...expect that your references probably will be called.

Great about your SD university connections. But I can't tell you how many times I've heard about someone supposedly having a "connection" in San Diego and it not leading anywhere to actually getting a great job in San Diego. Know what I mean? I'm NOT trying to bring you down or anything. I just think being realistic is always the way to go.

Healthcare is a good field but with your background and position I'd keep the door very wide open to many industries. I still say the biggest hurdle you face is simply that there are TONS of people looking for a job with that type of position and they already are here in San Diego.

But definitely your game plan of banking up some serious savings before moving out is a good one. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and will go far in life. Good luck and keep us posted how things go.

Cheers.

PS. You ARE single. Until there is a ring on her finger and a date set.....you're a single guy. Enjoy your youth and freedom

Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
You people are reading way too much into what I said. I am not saying lie and tell people that you're working with huge megacorps when that's BS. Nor am I saying it should even go on your resume.

I'm saying do some pro bono consulting and yes, start an LLC to cover your butt in case you get sued.

And if you're asked, what are you doing since you don't have a job and you're looking for work, you can honestly and truthfully say you're doing consulting work.

If someone probes and says, who are your clients, don't lie. Say that you're doing pro bono work to establish a reputation, and that you're working to obtain paid clients.

Now, if a hiring manager takes that and thinks, he was trying to deceive me, screw him and his company. You don't want to work for a place like that.

You want to work for someone who's going to admire that hustle and attitude. You're not sitting around, clicking on every job on Monster that you're remotely qualified for and calling it a day. You're out there trying to get something going.

If they don't, expletive deleted them. They're not worthy of you.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 AM

52 posts, read 128,888 times
I do have to wonder, what place does have a good economy right now? Not many, so you have to weigh that in. SD like many other cities in this country is still suffering. It's something to be conscious of, but also it's like that almost everywhere right now.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher4 View Post
I do have to wonder, what place does have a good economy right now? Not many, so you have to weigh that in. SD like many other cities in this country is still suffering. It's something to be conscious of, but also it's like that almost everywhere right now.

Well, sure lots of places have an economy that isn't as good pre-recession. FEW places weren't affected. However, the job market is better and cost of housing is much lower.

I have plenty of personal friends that found GREAT jobs in Dallas and North Carolina. The thing is not everywhere has housing costs as high as San Diego and that's part of the point too.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
You people are reading way too much into what I said. I am not saying lie and tell people that you're working with huge megacorps when that's BS. Nor am I saying it should even go on your resume.

I'm saying do some pro bono consulting and yes, start an LLC to cover your butt in case you get sued.

And if you're asked, what are you doing since you don't have a job and you're looking for work, you can honestly and truthfully say you're doing consulting work.

If someone probes and says, who are your clients, don't lie. Say that you're doing pro bono work to establish a reputation, and that you're working to obtain paid clients.

Now, if a hiring manager takes that and thinks, he was trying to deceive me, screw him and his company. You don't want to work for a place like that.

You want to work for someone who's going to admire that hustle and attitude. You're not sitting around, clicking on every job on Monster that you're remotely qualified for and calling it a day. You're out there trying to get something going.

If they don't, expletive deleted them. They're not worthy of you.

The expletive? LOL

Starting an LLC and giving '$0 rate generic financial advice' equates to hustle and attitude and not clicking Monster job ads, you have an interesting perspective for not sitting on your butt. Is this personal experience? I have a bridge to sell you...

OP, read what the laws are in CA regardless if you have do pro bono work and setup an LLC here. If you really want to do it the right way, make sure you know what you are doing first and read what is required to do it.

But before that, ask yourself, if you were going to interview for a position with a legitimate company for a decent position and a hiring manager asks what you have been doing between Time A and Time B.
'I am giving pro bono (aka free) generic financial advice with my LLC' how that would go down given your lack of experience? Mommy and Daddy are my clients, oh wait Uncle Tommy is too. I am being fecetious of course, but really I think you see where I am going if you start an LLC and really dont have a game plan. The spirit of what Tony is saying makes sense though.

Like I said, you could probably tell hiring managers honestly and they might care or not. I have sold copiers beatng the streets at one point in my life. In my experience, those guys would LOVE that kind of creative attitude. So, some people can pull it off and make it sound like a whole lot more than it is. But is that how you want to sell yourself given the type of position you would be going for?

Scripps, Sharp, Pomerado and Kaiser Permanente are probably the big 4 health care providers in the region. It would definitely be to your advantage to start investigating those companies and perhaps some of the external groups they work.
Also look at some of the Universities like UCSD Medical or some of the smaller medical groups. They may use several different finance related external partners that do that type stuff you have experience in.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Y. Nor am I saying it should even go on your resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Starting an LLC and giving '$0 rate generic financial advice' equates to hustle and attitude and not clicking Monster job ads, you have an interesting perspective for not sitting on your butt. Is this personal experience? I have a bridge to sell you...

OP, read what the laws are in CA regardless if you have do pro bono work and setup an LLC here. If you really want to do it the right way, make sure you know what you are doing first and read what is required to do it.

But before that, ask yourself, if you were going to interview for a position with a legitimate company for a decent position and a hiring manager asks what you have been doing between Time A and Time B.
'I am giving pro bono (aka free) generic financial advice with my LLC' how that would go down given your lack of experience? Mommy and Daddy are my clients, oh wait Uncle Tommy is too. I am being fecetious of course, but really I think you see where I am going if you start an LLC and really dont have a game plan. The spirit of what Tony is saying makes sense though.
^^^^^^ This.

Like I said, VERY few people can pull this off. More times than not you will come across as a clown if you try listing something like this on your resume just as Shmoov mentioned.

I've set up many LLCs for different reasons. While they do have their uses, especially to shield against liability as Tony mentioned. But it does NOT make sense to set one up just to do $0/hour "consulting" to family members. As well, some states like California have $800 annual fees to the Franchise Board as well as other reporting requirements. States like Delaware are less expensive at $250 per year but you need a Registered Agent there locally which also costs money. So really take a good look before doing something like that.

There ARE legitimate reasons to set up an LLC but I just don't see it for the reason mentioned above. And I'd also caution against setting up an LLC to try to take write offs on taxes. I've seen plenty of people get busted by the IRS for that. JMHO.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher4 View Post
Here's the latest unemployment figures by metro areas. There many places that are worse off than SD right now. LA, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, Vegas.....just to name a few.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego