Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funandsun View Post
mewzikguy and Naomi, thank you for your posts! It looks like I can afford PB, OB, and even Point Loma. I am a runner so I am thrilled that I will be able to run up the street and be at the beach and be able to go for long beach runs. Time to move! Thanks everyone for your help and replies!
Glad to help. I live in PB and we had beautiful beach weather yesterday. I walked from my apartment to the beach since I skipped the gym (roughly 1.5 mile walk each way). Passed lots of for rent signs but for 1-2 bedrooms. Most of the 1 bedrooms in PB go between $1000-$1100. I'm leaving my apartment though in July (roommates and I want to live alone). The perk about PB is that people regularly move in and out of here. It's not quite as stable as say OB or Point Loma.

Ocean beach tends to be around the same price but quieter neighborhood (At 29, I already feel too old for PB but 24 is perfect for PB). I like parts of Point Loma too but a lot of parts in Point Loma aren't walking distance to some things (I like being walking distance to a supermarket and maybe a bus or trolley stop if need be). I went to see a friend who lives in a nice neighborhood in Point Loma and he has 1 bedroom bungalow for $925 which I was shocked by.

I find generally the rents in San Diego tend to be like $900 studio, $1000-$1000 1 bedroom, $1275+ 2 bedroom excluding areas like La Jolla, Del Mar, etc. and anything right on the beach.

Craigslist and just trying to neighborhoods you like seem to be the best way to go on finding cheaper buildings. Websites like Apartmentguide and Rent.com cater to larger buildings which have more amenities but higher prices generally.

Also neighborhoods like North Park and University Heights are fun and have a lot of young people but you are further from the beaches but you have a lot of great shopping and restaurants in the area.

Mission Valley is also very central and has people of all ages there.

I regularly look around for apartments so just wanted to give you an idea. In August I will be apartment hunting again which is not a good time because that's when a lot of the places get taken up by students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 AM

18 posts, read 27,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Glad to help. I live in PB and we had beautiful beach weather yesterday. I walked from my apartment to the beach since I skipped the gym (roughly 1.5 mile walk each way). Passed lots of for rent signs but for 1-2 bedrooms. Most of the 1 bedrooms in PB go between $1000-$1100. I'm leaving my apartment though in July (roommates and I want to live alone). The perk about PB is that people regularly move in and out of here. It's not quite as stable as say OB or Point Loma.

Ocean beach tends to be around the same price but quieter neighborhood (At 29, I already feel too old for PB but 24 is perfect for PB). I like parts of Point Loma too but a lot of parts in Point Loma aren't walking distance to some things (I like being walking distance to a supermarket and maybe a bus or trolley stop if need be). I went to see a friend who lives in a nice neighborhood in Point Loma and he has 1 bedroom bungalow for $925 which I was shocked by.

I find generally the rents in San Diego tend to be like $900 studio, $1000-$1000 1 bedroom, $1275+ 2 bedroom excluding areas like La Jolla, Del Mar, etc. and anything right on the beach.

Craigslist and just trying to neighborhoods you like seem to be the best way to go on finding cheaper buildings. Websites like Apartmentguide and Rent.com cater to larger buildings which have more amenities but higher prices generally.

Also neighborhoods like North Park and University Heights are fun and have a lot of young people but you are further from the beaches but you have a lot of great shopping and restaurants in the area.

I regularly look around for apartments so just wanted to give you an idea. In August I will be apartment hunting again which is not a good time because that's when a lot of the places get taken up by students.
Hey thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. I am Jewish too by the way.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 AM

210 posts, read 412,237 times
You two should hook up

Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. I am Jewish too by the way.

Check out the Jewish Federation's YAD Division. They do events and stuff for a lot of singles under 40. It's hit or miss. There's happy hour with music tonight which I was going to do but they switched it to a place in Hilcrest and I don't want to have to drive around for a parking spot (the old location had free drinks and easy parking!).

Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
You two should hook up
Thanks for the idea but I'm not into 24 year olds.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Hey Naomi I have a question for you since you live on PB. Is it loud there (more loud then a regular residential community)? I am a very light sleeper and even being in a quiet residential area now with no noise from neighbors I sometimes get woken up by garbage trucks or construction. I understand PB is a party and tourist destination but is noise an issue? Does it depend on where the apartment complex is located? What parts of PB are the loudest?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Hey Naomi I have a question for you since you live on PB. Is it loud there (more loud then a regular residential community)? I am a very light sleeper and even being in a quiet residential area now with no noise from neighbors I sometimes get woken up by garbage trucks or construction. I understand PB is a party and tourist destination but is noise an issue? Does it depend on where the apartment complex is located? What parts of PB are the loudest?

Yeah, I would say Thursday-Sunday it's sorta loud. Most apartments here do not have air conditioning (I found only 2 really hot days here in PB where I would have loved AC because my fan just wouldn't do it!), so my windows are always open. I can always hear the people in this little house right below my bedroom laughing, partying, etc.

I think I'm in a fairly quiet part of PB too because my street has mainly houses not apartments (my building only has 4 units). Crown Point which I think is a part of PB is a lot quieter, but with that it gets more expensive. I love a lot of the condos and apartments right near the bay, but out of my price range. I believe while I was walking I saw a 2b2b apartment with a for rent sign for over $2000. It has no view either...

I'm moving out of my place in July because I was in a temporary living situation where I just rented a furnished room and had 2 roommates. I pay $750 a month + $75 utilities. I needed something month to month, with it fully furnished with me not having to worry about moving in and out things with a truck because I'm in an industry which could have been transferred elsewhere.

I just want my own place and an assigned parking spot. It's very frustrating to actually plan my social life around on whether or not there will be parking when I return. After 7PM, I found it very hard near my building going out maybe 3 blocks or so. I came home once at maybe 11 and found one spot 2 blocks away from my building but I was a little bit into someone's driveway. I tried circling and couldn't find anyone leaving.

Anyway I'm not opposed to staying in PB, but I feel more comfortable in OB. I like La Jolla the most but could only afford a studio there which is out of the question for me.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I would say Thursday-Sunday it's sorta loud. Most apartments here do not have air conditioning (I found only 2 really hot days here in PB where I would have loved AC because my fan just wouldn't do it!), so my windows are always open. I can always hear the people in this little house right below my bedroom laughing, partying, etc.

I think I'm in a fairly quiet part of PB too because my street has mainly houses not apartments (my building only has 4 units). Crown Point which I think is a part of PB is a lot quieter, but with that it gets more expensive. I love a lot of the condos and apartments right near the bay, but out of my price range. I believe while I was walking I saw a 2b2b apartment with a for rent sign for over $2000. It has no view either...

I'm moving out of my place in July because I was in a temporary living situation where I just rented a furnished room and had 2 roommates. I pay $750 a month + $75 utilities. I needed something month to month, with it fully furnished with me not having to worry about moving in and out things with a truck because I'm in an industry which could have been transferred elsewhere.

I just want my own place and an assigned parking spot. It's very frustrating to actually plan my social life around on whether or not there will be parking when I return. After 7PM, I found it very hard near my building going out maybe 3 blocks or so. I came home once at maybe 11 and found one spot 2 blocks away from my building but I was a little bit into someone's driveway. I tried circling and couldn't find anyone leaving.

Anyway I'm not opposed to staying in PB, but I feel more comfortable in OB. I like La Jolla the most but could only afford a studio there which is out of the question for me.

Interesting, thank for the info! I'm very surprised most places don't come with a/c. I was wondering why most of the studios I was looking at come with utilities included and wondered why they did this if a/c was running. I have allergies so I like to close all the windows and turn up the a/c. But allergens in coastal socal are way way less then the northeast where I grew up.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
You might want to consider Clairemont, which is just east of PB and Mission Bay.

It's more quiet here, since it's mostly residential, and local businesses don't stay open late.

Clairemont is centrally located in SD, and it has highway entrances which let you get to any part of SD pretty easily.

One thing you might do is use Google Street View (part of Google Maps) to take a virtual tour around San Diego. That way you can see what various neighborhoods look like as if you were driving through them in your own car.

I think if sleep is a problem for you, then don't live anywhere near bars and clubs. You know there will always be noise going on outside of those places when people are drunk.

To see apts available in Clairemont, check Craigslist and do a search for "Clairemont"

san diego apts/housing for rent classifieds "clairemont" - craigslist

Or for a Clairemont roommate situation:

san diego rooms & shares classifieds "clairemont" - craigslist

Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
You might want to consider Clairemont, which is just east of PB and Mission Bay.

It's more quiet here, since it's mostly residential, and local businesses don't stay open late.

Clairemont is centrally located in SD, and it has highway entrances which let you get to any part of SD pretty easily.

One thing you might do is use Google Street View (part of Google Maps) to take a virtual tour around San Diego. That way you can see what various neighborhoods look like as if you were driving through them in your own car.

I think if sleep is a problem for you, then don't live anywhere near bars and clubs. You know there will always be noise going on outside of those places when people are drunk.

To see apts available in Clairemont, check Craigslist and do a search for "Clairemont"

san diego apts/housing for rent classifieds "clairemont" - craigslist

Or for a Clairemont roommate situation:

san diego rooms & shares classifieds "clairemont" - craigslist
Thanks for the info! I definitely don't want to be next to the bars but it would be nice to be able to walk a half mile or so to them. I will check out Clairemont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego