Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
La Jolla Farms

Something like this:
SDLookup.com | 9736*La*Jolla*Farms*Rd - MLS# 120039825
See to me the only good thing about this property is the multi-million dollar view. To me the inside and decor of this house is TOTALLY ugly. If I bought it, I'd have to spend millions more just gutting the inside of it and renovating it. LOL.

That's the problem with lots of these La Jolla properties. The decor on the inside is just horrible. The sad thing is many of these owners actually think that the inside of these properties are stylish and beautiful. LOL. I can't tell you how many houses we saw in La Jolla with that dated wood paneling when the owners thought it was stylish and cool. (Maybe if I went back in a time machine).

To me the only value on a place like that is the land. The house would have to get leveled and start all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 PM

73 posts, read 120,839 times
Heck, I'll do it Tony Stark style and have that house in the cliff like IM3. If only they had a place in La Jolla like that... but then I would have to deal with the marine layer.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:39 AM

435 posts, read 453,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
To me, hands down, La Jolla. You've got some very expensive houses in many other places, but to me, being able to smell that ocean air and see it from your home, well, if money was no object, that's where I'd be.
LOL the smell is actually a problem in La Jolla right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAzZsLpk2ww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchud Diego View Post
Heck, I'll do it Tony Stark style and have that house in the cliff like IM3. If only they had a place in La Jolla like that... but then I would have to deal with the marine layer.
Funny you should mention that, the Iron Man house IS actually in La Jolla (at least the home in which they filmed a lot of the trilogy's interior shots), and for purposes of the film it was superimposed onto a cliff in Malibu. It actually sits overlooking Torrey Pines and is for sale for $25 million if you have some spare cash laying around: http://kamisinvestments.com/1730/sup...r-in-la-jolla/

Last edited by Kid Ashbury; 05-19-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 AM

241 posts, read 713,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
See to me the only good thing about this property is the multi-million dollar view. To me the inside and decor of this house is TOTALLY ugly. If I bought it, I'd have to spend millions more just gutting the inside of it and renovating it. LOL.

That's the problem with lots of these La Jolla properties. The decor on the inside is just horrible. The sad thing is many of these owners actually think that the inside of these properties are stylish and beautiful. LOL. I can't tell you how many houses we saw in La Jolla with that dated wood paneling when the owners thought it was stylish and cool. (Maybe if I went back in a time machine).

To me the only value on a place like that is the land. The house would have to get leveled and start all over.
Please post pictures of your home interior

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

That's the beauty of this thread... money is no object. You can buy any property you want and spend as much as you want to rebuild the house.

My wife and I toured several houses yesterday in La Jolla for a charity event. As we drove around the La Jolla hills and bluffs, lots of people feel the same way you do. They bought the view and tore down the house. The current number of teardowns and rebuilds in La Jolla is simply amazing. These new owners must have bought Google at the IPO in 2004 and cashed in their shares at the recent highs.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post

Funny you should mention that, the Iron Man house IS actually in La Jolla (at least the home in which they filmed a lot of the trilogy's interior shots), and for purposes of the film it was superimposed onto a cliff in Malibu. It actually sits overlooking Torrey Pines and is for sale for $25 million if you have some spare cash laying around: Super Bowl Spot Destroys Tony Stark's Home The Razor In La Jolla - KamisInvestments.com
Visa filmed a Black Card commercial using that same house in La Jolla. Here's a 'making of' video of the Black Card commercial:
Visa Black Card Making of Back in Black Commercial - YouTube

The Razor house (as some locals refer to it) sold last year for about $15M. It was on the market for several years. The original asking price something like $39M.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
That's the beauty of this thread... money is no object. You can buy any property you want and spend as much as you want to rebuild the house.

My wife and I toured several houses yesterday in La Jolla for a charity event. As we drove around the La Jolla hills and bluffs, lots of people feel the same way you do. They bought the view and tore down the house. The current number of teardowns and rebuilds in La Jolla is simply amazing. These new owners must have bought Google at the IPO in 2004 and cashed in their shares at the recent highs.
Totally true cruitr. If money was no object, absolutely you could rebuild the house.

Yes, many teardowns and rebuilds there. Some do a really great job. We have a few friends that bought houses there in the past few years. While they didn't tear down the houses, they totally gutted the insides of them.

Funny about Google IPO.... Although I think if that was the case they would have renovated the inside. LOL.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,162,714 times
This has turned into quite the fun thread, hasn't it? :-)

To get us back on topic, I'm aware of the northern coastal towns of La Jolla, Del Mar, Carlsbad and they're all beautiful.

I'm obviously aware of RSF and Santaluz. I almost bought back in Santaluz several years ago, but ended up taking a promotion/transfer to DC instead of SD at the last minute. I can afford Santaluz now (albeit at the lower-end/$3m range) and I'm just wondering what other communities besides Santaluz/RSF should we be aware of at the upper end? I'm not looking for a tear-down. I really want the tight-knit community feel, with good people we can make friends with and feel good about raising our kids with. We'd have no issues doing that in Santaluz, but were wondering what else out there should we consider if we were able to swing a little more.

Not that it matters, but I find the California ranch style homes very appealing to our tastes. I'm not sure what you call the home styles in RSF (and I know that it varies), but it's not us. While I can appreciate them for what they are, and their lots/land seem very desirable, but even the $20m homes in RSF I've been looking at this weekend just don't work for us (too big, too cold, too castley, etc.).

Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,981 times
I think I would live at the beach if money were no object. I like funky more than fancy so I would be drawn to more artsy places such as Encinitas or Leucadia. On the other hand I would prefer to be down in the city so might check out OB.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,594 times
If I was wealthy right now, easily La Jolla. Has everything I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego