Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there a big Jewish community here in San Diego?
Not exceptionally large but there seems to be a fair number who go to the temple in University City plus they have that Hebrew Academy (private religious school) in Scripps Ranch which opened about a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM

210 posts, read 412,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Jesus...why in this day and age people still insist men should pay? And why is there a crazy notion that people should go to some noisy bar or restaurant to get to know each other (and pay for unhealthy food!)?
Bills should be split, definitely... and if you don't want to pay--well, go for a hike in a park, for a cup of coffee in a reasonably-priced coffee shop where cost isn't a big deal... In all fairness, men shouldn't endure the pressure to "take someone out", to "buy dinner", "buy drink", etc....especially considering some women take advantage of this to get wined and dined, basically...Also, if you let man pay for you, you're in a dubous situation as he may expect something after that from you! After all he invested some money in you already--do you think people don't expect returns on their investments?...or do you think they owe a woman a dinner, somehow? In this life, there's no free lunch. How about a woman buys a drink or dinner for a guy! And next time, he may be buys one for her. If someone is inviting you for dinner and you don't want to split, can just say, hey, dinner is too fancy, why don't we do something low key instead... Paying for someone is like buying a lunch for your job interviewer, with no guarantee you get the job.
HAHA. For the rest of this thread, can we stop using "returns" and use the words "a.s", "pu..y, or simply call "sex"? HAHAHA

Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 42,203 times
I am a single successful guy with assets close to $1M at the age of 28 but I'd never want to date someone like Naomi LOL. In fact, I screen them out by deliberately taking the girls to cheap restaurants, tone done what I have, and if they stay around, they are a keeper. I hate golddigging girls lol.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post

Modern dating scene involves A LOT of trial and error and near-random "dating"....men can't be expected to finance all that.

Why not? LOL. Gentlemen have been paying for dates for a LONG time. What's so special about today's "modern men" that makes them so special (i.e. cheap) that they can't be expected to pay for dates out? And I'm NOT even saying you have to take them out to expensive and fancy places. A guy shouldn't go to a place that he can't afford.

But it's not asking a guy much to be expected to pay for dates out. I think a LOT of guys worry too much about being taken advantage of or girls using them for meals or their money, etc. Most guys with a good head on their shoulders should be able to figure out what type of girl they are dating very quickly. If you can't, then paying for a date's dinner is the last of your worries in life!

And trust me... once you get married, paying for dinners/dates is the LAST of your worries. Those things are the really cheap things. LOL. Just wait until you have kids.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus123 View Post
I am a single successful guy with assets close to $1M at the age of 28 but I'd never want to date someone like Naomi LOL. In fact, I screen them out by deliberately taking the girls to cheap restaurants, tone done what I have, and if they stay around, they are a keeper. I hate golddigging girls lol.
But you know, that works both ways. Possibly professional women like Naomi are doing their own screening out of golddigging boys.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus123 View Post

Clearly I am a gold digger if I want someone who is college educated and a professional job which are things I both have... ::rollseyes::

If someone is very into health, fitness, etc., I would EXPECT them to want their partner to be the same.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 AM

210 posts, read 412,237 times
I've laughed at some of the moronic, albeit not unexpected, presumptions some of you guys have made about Naomi. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
I use paying as a way to get out of a second date. If I want to see the woman again, then I pick up the tab. All of it.

If, however, I'm eying the butter knife halfway through my first drink and wondering, could I slice my wrist with this so I can end this date, then at the end of the night, I do this.

"Okay, I had the blah, blah, blah and ten drinks (left unsaid is I needed the ten drinks to put up with her) and you had the blah, blah, blah and one glass of wine. So I figure you owe x dollars. With tax and tip, that's y dollars. You cool with that?"

It's a great way to not have to deal with the woman for a second date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Why not? LOL. Gentlemen have been paying for dates for a LONG time. What's so special about today's "modern men" that makes them so special (i.e. cheap) that they can't be expected to pay for dates out? And I'm NOT even saying you have to take them out to expensive and fancy places. A guy shouldn't go to a place that he can't afford.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Clearly I am a gold digger if I want someone who is college educated and a professional job which are things I both have... ::rollseyes::

If someone is very into health, fitness, etc., I would EXPECT them to want their partner to be the same.
I know. I love the (misogynistic) assumption that as women, we're automatically looking for a meal ticket when we want someone who's not a deadbeat. Sorry kids, but I want someone who's at least at my level when it comes to job, education, fitness, etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I know. I love the (misogynistic) assumption that as women, we're automatically looking for a meal ticket when we want someone who's not a deadbeat. Sorry kids, but I want someone who's at least at my level when it comes to job, education, fitness, etc.

Oh I totally agree that people should find people that they think will be desirable to them in terms of jobs, salary, education, fitness, etc.

The guy should be able to comfortably support the family. Again, call me old fashioned but I've always believed a guy has to be able to easily support a family. And certainly I wouldn't have married anyone that I wasn't attracted to including intellectually.

I agree with you gals that too many guys are worried about being a "meal ticket".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego