Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

lol.....I left Chicago to work for the Air Force in Sacramento...I too wore my Chicago attire, it wasn't long before they had me in jeans, no make up, and I think they wanted me to burn my tights (okay, you know pantyhose). They hated me, but geez I figured the air force community would be a bit more rigid, even in california. I was more comfortable in my more formal clothes...and well that is all I really owned! I wasn't comfortable for long though...I mean it really bothered some people!

Good story! I did have a job before I left...but I think there really are advantages to moving to the place of your choice -- and then finding a job. And you are more likely to get hired if you are already there.....it shows you have guts, and of course they dont have to pay your relocation assistance.

Great....now I have ideas in my head....

I'd agree though the more money you have saved the better....I have done it before too (not in California) and found jobs right away both times. Swore I would never do it again but it does have perks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:33 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_quest View Post
good information here. A few questions from someone else seriously considering the move:
How did you move? I'm thinking hiring a moving company to drive my stuff out while I fly (I hate driving, especially for a week straight alone) would be best, but costly.
How much did it cost to move? Everything I've seen so far says it'll be a bit over $3000 for a truck and car-carrier.
What type of security deposit do most apartments require? I assume they typically also require a minimum 1-year contract, rather than a more convenient month-to-month?
Lots of rentals are month-to-month. In fact I never actually encountered leases when I was a renter, though I'm sure they are out there. Move-ins typically are 1st months rent plus a deposit which depending on the tightness of the market can be 1/2 to 1 months rent. In high-demand rent-controlled areas, you might encounter 1st months rent, last months rent, and a deposit that equals another months rent, but that situation should be limited to places like San Francisco, Berkeley, and Santa Monica where rent control is strictest.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM

233 posts, read 885,800 times
Default Moving in 8 months East Coast to San Diego

Hey:
Just wondering if I could get your e-mail address so we can communicate. I am moving from NJ to La Jolla/UTC on August 1st. Would really like to pick your brain.
Thanks
dwatts@sfr1.com

Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM

233 posts, read 885,800 times
Default Use a POD

Johnny_Quest:
I am using a POD. It is half the price of a moving company. They drive it out for you and you fly. Go to PODS.com for info

Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
It's great to read that people still desire to move here despite the many negative exaggerations that people have posted in the San Diego forum recently. There's a reason why SD is in the same category as SF and NYC as an expensive place to live, but you gotta live here to find out.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,621 times
What a great post! I also came to San Diego without a single job prospect, but I was fortunate enough to land a great job within days of my arrival. I've been here just under a year and love it! I don't know that there would be any other city to where I would relocate on a whim, except maybe home.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,716 times
NJ to Cali for a regular car to be sent on a car carrier is $900-1000 depending upon who you use. It will get there in 6-8 days. Not sure on pricing for all-inclusive (vehicle and furniture, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_quest View Post
good information here. A few questions from someone else seriously considering the move:
How did you move? I'm thinking hiring a moving company to drive my stuff out while I fly (I hate driving, especially for a week straight alone) would be best, but costly.
How much did it cost to move? Everything I've seen so far says it'll be a bit over $3000 for a truck and car-carrier.
What type of security deposit do most apartments require? I assume they typically also require a minimum 1-year contract, rather than a more convenient month-to-month?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 PM

605 posts, read 866,673 times
Fantastic read!!!

Keep it up moss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego