Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,306 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm going to be working in Rancho Bernardo, and as a 21-year-old, I'm looking for somewhere to live where there'll be others near my age and some entertainment. It seems that RB itself is oriented for an older crowd and families. I'm ideally looking for somewhere that's not too far of a commute to RB, but has a bit more to offer for a 21-year-old.

I've taken a look west towards Carmel Valley as an option, but would like to hear other residents' opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Rancho Bernardo is NOT the area for a 21 year old. You will be bored stiff there. Definitely Carmel Valley is a much better option but honestly a 21 year old would probably be bored there too. But at least you're closer to the beach. But not really geared towards 21 year olds.

These are areas people raise families in. Carmel Valley has many single professionals but most are older at least in their 30's as its an expensive and more affluent area. Can you be further out from work? You will be totally bored in that area, IMHO compared to other areas.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
How long are you willing to commute to work in measurements of time? That will determine how far south and west we can suggest for better, more interesting neighborhoods.

A 21 year old guy? I would recommend Normal Heights. It is lower cost and much closer to interesting things to do. I-15 is the eastern boundary of NH so you could take the 15 up to RB in the morning. You might have traffic issues from about the intersection with I-8 to about Clairemont Mesa Boulevard, but from there north you should be going against the flow of traffic. The driving time should be about 30 minutes, but I'm a bit unsure of the rush hour traffic conditions on the 15 northbound directly north of the intersection with the 8.

Normal Heights has coffee shops for various types of crowds, brew pubs, Irish pubs, sports bars, restaurants (Mexican, Greek, Italian, vegetarian, Lebanese and others I don't keep a running log), people walking on the streets in the (early) evening, two massive street fairs, and easy access to other happening locations like North Park and Hillcrest, and not too far from Downtown. Other services are easily available in the neighborhood: grocery store, post office, hair care, comic book store, tailors, car repair, bicycle shops, donut shops, ice cream shop, dry cleaners, etc. Parts of Normal Heights are on the grittier side, but the area is safe, so don't be put off by that. And it is all very walkable for a weekend pub crawl.

RB, Carmel Valley, Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa, University City, Poway = Yaawwwnnn.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
How long are you willing to commute to work in measurements of time? That will determine how far south and west we can suggest for better, more interesting neighborhoods.

A 21 year old guy? I would recommend Normal Heights. ...
RB, Carmel Valley, Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa, University City, Poway = Yaawwwnnn.
Definitely add Rancho Penasquitos to the "yawn" list.

There are some newer neighborhoods at the west end of Rancho Bernardo and west of Rancho Penasquitos. They might have some less boring places, but they really weren't planned for it. They were planned to be "walkable", but suburbs nonetheless.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,306 times
Thanks for all the information -- it's all very helpful! I'm definitely taking a look at Normal Heights.

I'd like to stay within about a 30 minute commute to RB.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:08 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghdude View Post
Thanks for all the information -- it's all very helpful! I'm definitely taking a look at Normal Heights.

I'd like to stay within about a 30 minute commute to RB.
Normal Heights, University Heights, North Park, South Park, Kensington, and golden hill are all areas with easy freeway access and a 30 minute commute to RB, and are also neighborhoods that are walkable and have entertainment. I live in North Park and commute to Escondido (North of RB) every day.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Normal Heights, University Heights, North Park, South Park, Kensington, and golden hill are all areas with easy freeway access and a 30 minute commute to RB, and are also neighborhoods that are walkable and have entertainment. I live in North Park and commute to Escondido (North of RB) every day.
EXACTLY. Those are cooler areas and would be great for someone in their 20's.

I totally agree with Jenkay that you can easily do it in 30 minutes. I'm all for living close to work IF you enjoy the surrounding area. However, I would NOT want to live in the RB area if you are single in your 20's. It's a GREAT area for raising a family, especially young kids but that is night and day from someone in your situation.

It's not worth living in an area close to work just for the sake of living close to work if you hate the area and will be commuting all the time anyway to other areas. You might save time commuting to work but it will defeat the purpose always traveling to other areas in your spare time. Plus you can be sure that none of your other single friends in their 20's will be living in Rancho Bernardo (unless they are living at home with mom and dad still...ha ha).

I'd follow Jenkay's advice and look in those areas which are more appropriate for your age group. You will enjoy it much more. I-15 is so great that unless there is an accident or something you can easily get around fairly quickly.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
People call it Rancho Bornado for a reason.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Unless you have kids, skip anything that falls into PUSD. You'll pay a premium in rent for something you're not using.

Mike

Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Unless you have kids, skip anything that falls into PUSD. You'll pay a premium in rent for something you're not using.

Mike

Absolutely GREAT advice. The area IS great if you have kids and want to send them to great schools. Lots of demand to be in this school district and people do get a premium for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: