Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,677,331 times

Advertisements

I think you guys are putting me on. You have to be. But, god knows, I'd hate to confuse you with facts. So after you've spent some time renting in Santa Fe, Mellow Man, be sure to come back and let us know if you've decided to move in permanently. If nothing else, we retirees have plenty of time and money to waste. And I certainly hope you don't need something major like emergency heart surgery while you're seeing if you like it here. And in the meantime, I'll be moving out of NM.

I know betting is illegal. Sure wish it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM

54 posts, read 124,897 times
Fran...you brought up emergency surgery. It's a given that Santa Fe is small, but is the medical care poor? What about the local hospital, which I looked up but can't seem to get much info on...not a good sign. Does anything that requires more than a band aid require a trip to abq?

Old 05-29-2013, 02:07 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow man View Post
Fran...you brought up emergency surgery. It's a given that Santa Fe is small, but is the medical care poor? What about the local hospital, which I looked up but can't seem to get much info on...not a good sign. Does anything that requires more than a band aid require a trip to abq?
Mellow man,

I'm sure Fran can probably offer more input on the subject but I DID have an experience with the hospital there that I think will give you some comfort.

During our last vacation there, I had to call 911 as we had a scare with both our kids. (Thank God it turned out to be nothing) but I was impressed with everything and how responsive they were.

I called 911 and within 5 minutes there was an ambulance at our front door of our rental house. They took my kids to St. Vincent's Hospital which was a modern medical center. Everyone was super fabulous including the ambulance driver who gave our kids stuffed animals. The doctors and clinicians that treated them in the emergency room were really great.

There are a few big hospitals in Santa Fe and even a Cancer center I believe. I'm not sure what Fran was referring to but unless you had some strange medical condition, I think your needs would be more than adequate in Santa Fe.

Am I missing something here Fran? Now you have me curious.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,404,587 times
I last visited Santa Fe about five years ago. I wasn't expecting to have to ask for water at restaurants as it's pretty much standard most other places. The server explained to me that they don't automatically put out water on the tables due to the water supply issue, which makes perfect sense to me. They were happy to bring water when I asked, and I was even happier with all of the chiles available!

It was a beautiful September weekend in Santa Fe but Saturday had torrential rains. It was fun being in the desert during a rain storm. Special even. A desert rainbow is a beautiful thing. A couple of the dirt roads we needed to drive washed out pretty bad so we were glad we had rented a Jeep 4x4 to navigate them.

We visited a random church on Sunday morning while we were there and it was inspiring to see the pastor and congregants thanking God for the rain. In the Midwest where I currently live rain and water are typically taken for granted since there is so much of it around here.

Visiting Santa Fe was a very good experience for a long weekend vacation. I tend to prefer desert-esque environments and can see myself enjoying life in Santa Fe, but for a variety of reasons I know San Diego would fit me much better overall.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Mellow man,

I'm sure Fran can probably offer more input on the subject but I DID have an experience with the hospital there that I think will give you some comfort.

During our last vacation there, I had to call 911 as we had a scare with both our kids. (Thank God it turned out to be nothing) but I was impressed with everything and how responsive they were.

I called 911 and within 5 minutes there was an ambulance at our front door of our rental house. They took my kids to St. Vincent's Hospital which was a modern medical center. Everyone was super fabulous including the ambulance driver who gave our kids stuffed animals. The doctors and clinicians that treated them in the emergency room were really great.

There are a few big hospitals in Santa Fe and even a Cancer center I believe. I'm not sure what Fran was referring to but unless you had some strange medical condition, I think your needs would be more than adequate in Santa Fe.

Am I missing something here Fran? Now you have me curious.
I am always amazed at how a person who has never lived in a place will tell another person how great it is to live in that place and how super fabulous its facilities are. The only thing you're missing, ER, is the experience of actually living in NM -- in any major NM city -- for a year.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I am always amazed at how a person who has never lived in a place will tell another person how great it is to live in that place and how super fabulous its facilities are. The only thing you're missing, ER, is the experience of actually living in NM -- in any major NM city -- for a year.
Fran,

Where did I say how fabulous Santa Fe was to live? I didn't. Nor did I say the medical facilities are fabulous. I posted about MY personal experience with the hospital/medical system there. All I asked was for you to post your experience about the medical system there and how horrible it is as you alluded that the OP couldn't count on it. (As a former Healthcare executive, I think it's important if you allude to the medical care in any given city lacking, it's good to post more details about what you are alluding to).

Can you post why the medical services there are lacking? I think that would be more beneficial to the OP. I made it clear that I have NO experience living in Santa Fe (nor would I ever have any desire to live there full-time). I clearly don't need to live in Santa Fe any length of time to know it's not something I'd personally look for. Still, I was fair with the OP and suggested he spend more time there to see if it was for him.

It's difficult to understand why you find it bad advice for someone to go and try living there for a limited time renting a furnished property and seeing how they like it. Especially when they are retired and single, and have the flexibility like the OP to do that. Heck, even the OP admitted it was a good idea.

Doing that is NOT a "waste" of money. It's probably a worthwhile investment to see if the OP wants to be there long-term.

FYI to the OP. Here is the medical facility my kids went to. You indicated you couldn't find anything out about it online. Check out their website: http://www.stvin.org

From the website, "CHRISTUS St. Vincent Regional Medical Center located in Santa Fe, NM, is the only Level III Trauma Center in Northern New Mexico. With a medical staff of 380 providers covering 34 specialties, CHRISTUS St. Vincent serves more than 300,000 residents. Our vision is to provide Exceptional Medicine, Extraordinary Care to Every Person, Every Day."

Last edited by earlyretirement; 05-29-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM

A website can say anything it wants to. How does Jahco rate St. Vincent? I just checked -- and I opened up the report dated 4/13, read it, closed it, and now I can't get it open again -- anyway, the hospital did very well on some things, well on most things, and was way below average for other things (which I would say are pretty important). So say if the national average if 97% on some procedure or in some area, and Christus is 80% -- I'd say that is pretty bad. But all in all, it seems to be a B or B- hospital -- which is not bad.** After all, NM is a very poor state.) Just type into your search engine, "JACHO and Christus St. Vincent Santa Fe" and the report should come up in the first 10 hits.

**I have to say this: I worked for 14 months at Pres Hospital in ABQ, and also UNMH and Lovelace. I would DIE before I would let a hospital doctor -- or almost any MD -- in NM treat me. And I'm not exaggerating one bit. If I get seriously ill, I'm going to move back to Southern CA a lot sooner than planned! Hospitals here will let you die for the benefit of saving a dime. (And that's why I quit, by the way -- I just couldn't participate in it anymore.)

However, you're right. If OP wants to come out here -- has the time and the money to spend a year before making a decision to live here permanently -- and it has to be at least a full year -- I think he should. It wasn't until I had been here 12-18 months that the honeymoon was over for me. And, still, in that first year here -- and since -- I've experienced some things that I am thrilled to have experienced. (If I had never moved here, I would never have had most of the experiences, the memories of which I treasure.) Like one day a year -- in early December -- The Jemez Reservation puts on a Christmas celebration that is super fabulous. LOL No, seriously, it is. I've been twice, and I hope to go a third time this December. It's absolutely incredible. In the dark of evening, the Indians (whose families have been in The Jemez area for hundreds of years) do dances around bonfires in the ruins, which are lit with thousands of luminarias. And there are a dozen other places/events I've been to time and time again -- like our Very Large Array -- and they never get old. Like our skies are a wonderful 'show' almost every single day of the year.

And if it weren't for the severe drought here (which is expected to only get worse and worse) and if I didn't miss the ocean and 'civilization' so much, I might even stay here. I've made friends here. I'm comfortable here. In a lot of ways, NM has become home. (Well, I'm still not comfortable with the limp vegetables. LOL But the local eggs are truly super fabulous!)

I am so grateful that I have seen what I have seen and experienced what I have experienced.

Oh, but the other thing OP should know is this -- I forgot about this!: we're a mile up -- if he has high BP or even moderately-high BP -- this is NOT the place to live. Even if he has normal BP, it could easily become high within the first year and it usually does (I'm assuming that OP is 55+ years old). My BP was slightly below normal in Southern CA. Within the first year here, I got high BP! LOLOLOL (Of course, that could be just you, ER. LOLOLOLOL) Also, 3-5 years after you've lived here, the allergies hit. I never had allergies before; I do now. They started in my 5th year. Nothing horrible for me. Just mildly irritating. Also, breathing can be a real problem at a mile high. For us oldsters. :-)

But am I sorry I moved here? No. Absolutely not. I've seen things a vacation doesn't allow time to see. If I had to do it all over again, I just would have left after the first couple of years and come back 'home' to Southern CA.

There are two things that are ruling my next move: water/drought and sea level living. So it's either San Diego or Pittsburgh! :-) If nothing else (and of course there are many other things motivating me to move out of here), health-wise I just can't stay here.

Wouldn't it be funny, ER, if OP moves to SD, and we all wind up having dinner somewhere down the road? :-)

Fran

Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks Fran for that follow up information. I don't doubt you that Santa Fe hospitals are probably not A rated like some other major cities but I'm very certain there are FAR worse out there. I spent several years visiting many hospitals, groups and clinics around the USA and I can assure you that many communities would kill for a hospital and Level III trauma center like Santa Fe has.

As with many things, I'm sure it could be much better but it definitely could be much worse.

Fran, definitely it seems like you love a lot of things about New Mexico which is great. Sometimes it seems like you have this love/hate relationship with it. LOL.

As far as the water, I admit that would be a problem but honestly I doubt that these cities will allow their citizens to get access to the water they need. They might have a fortune to get it.... but I would assume they will come up with some solutions. Even if they are expensive solutions. I lived in some cities where I had $600 a month water bills so I know the pain of having expensive water. It's NOT fun.

I think every city has it's positives/negatives and fun exploring each. Also, another option (if the OP can afford it) might be to spend part of the year in Santa Fe and part in San Diego. Not sure of their financial situation but I personally know many retirees that spend part of the year in one city/area and other times of the year in another.

That is what my wife and I plan to do when we are fully retire and are empty nesters. While we'll always keep a "base" in San Diego, we'll definitely be living part of the year in Europe and part in South America.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Thanks Fran for that follow up information. I don't doubt you that Santa Fe hospitals are probably not A rated like some other major cities but I'm very certain there are FAR worse out there. I spent several years visiting many hospitals, groups and clinics around the USA and I can assure you that many communities would kill for a hospital and Level III trauma center like Santa Fe has.

As with many things, I'm sure it could be much better but it definitely could be much worse.

Fran, definitely it seems like you love a lot of things about New Mexico which is great. Sometimes it seems like you have this love/hate relationship with it. LOL.

As far as the water, I admit that would be a problem but honestly I doubt that these cities will allow their citizens to get access to the water they need. They might have a fortune to get it.... but I would assume they will come up with some solutions. Even if they are expensive solutions. I lived in some cities where I had $600 a month water bills so I know the pain of having expensive water. It's NOT fun.

I think every city has it's positives/negatives and fun exploring each. Also, another option (if the OP can afford it) might be to spend part of the year in Santa Fe and part in San Diego. Not sure of their financial situation but I personally know many retirees that spend part of the year in one city/area and other times of the year in another.

That is what my wife and I plan to do when we are fully retire and are empty nesters. While we'll always keep a "base" in San Diego, we'll definitely be living part of the year in Europe and part in South America.
But, ER -- that's just it -- if there is no water, there is NO water. You may think I'm Chicken Little but we've already had a town close down because it had no water. The American mentality is: well, the government isn't going to let that (no water) happen. Because we've always had almost everything we've ever needed or wanted, we just think that there is always going to be a solution. There wasn't a solution for the farmers and ranchers who this past year have not been able to plant or raise cattle.

You know there is just this mindset that says, "A hurricane couldn't possibly level any city in The US" -- but Katrina did. Sandy did a job on NY and NJ. And, seriously -- we both know that The Big One is coming to Southern CA -- but we really don't believe it. And if we do believe it, we don't believe it's going to be as bad as seismologists say it's going to be. Americans just tend to live in denial. We're Americans. Nothing bad is going to happen to us. And then we had 9/11. And the crash of 2008. And of course there are bad hospitals with bad patient outcomes -- but not OUR hospital and, even so, not to US. So my friend thought until she got MRSA. Of course, NM has the worst drought in the nation -- but -- the government will come up with a solution -- it won't affect me, at least -- until we go to the kitchen faucet, turn it on and nothing comes out.

Do you remember the gas rationing in the 70s? License plates that ended in even numbers could fill up on one day and those with odd numbers could fill up on the next day. And I think there was one day when no car could fill up. I remember my mother sitting in our living room, and she was absolutely incredulous. She said, "I have more than enough money for all the gas I need. I don't understand why I can't get it when I want it." LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL (And I'm sure the Kennedys were getting it -- but we 99% couldn't, of course.) She just couldn't fathom that there was a gas shortage (and who knows -- maybe it was fabricated by the oil companies).

I don't know how old you are, but I think I'm older than you are. While traveling back and forth to Europe, The US and South America sounds good now -- and it was great when I was younger -- it won't great as you get older. And since I think we may know each other years down the road, I can't wait for that day when you say that you've had it with traveling because you simply can't do it anymore. That day will come. If you're, say, 55 now, you have no idea how much your body is going to change by 65-70. And I didn't either. At 55, I just thought I would always feel young, have a lot of strength, have a lot of stamina. (And I still don't have any major illnesses -- just BP and Thyroid.) While the news media makes sure we hear about the 85-year-old who is climbing Mt. Everest (or whatever one LOL) and the 99-year-old who is still delivering mail -- these are the .1%. The other 99.9% -- age does a job on us. The reward is that we are so comfortable with ourselves internally -- mentally, emotionally, spiritually. This is a great decade -- the 60s. I hope the 70s are half as good.

Last edited by Fran66; 05-29-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Hi Fran,

Oh I totally don't know much about the water situation in Santa Fe or other places. Other than that every time I go there and rent a car, they always deliver it dirty as they claim they can't wash it due to water restrictions which is totally ok with me.

Absolutely I know that the farmers are struggling there. I just read this great article online:

Death By A Thousand Cuts: Will Santa Fe?s campaign to buy up water rights kill the Rio Grande?

It sounds like Santa Fe is doing much better than other cities in the Southwest. I can't speak about farmers or people that want to garden or water their yards. But something tells me they will find a way for people in most of these major cities to have access/buy water from other States for the essential things like drinking water or bathing. I could be wrong but I hope not.

Well, sure no one knows what their health condition will be when they are in retirement age. But let's just say I'm fairly confident that I'll be doing plenty of traveling in retirement. Let's just say I'm younger than the typical person that takes "early retirement".

I do hope that by the time the kids are out of the house we still have the passion and energy to travel. It's one of our biggest passions in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego