Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times

Advertisements

Every time we visit we have to plug our nose, maybe next time we visit it will smell nice and fresh.

San Diego Mayor Filner Announces Plan To End La Jolla Cove Stench | KPBS.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Yeah, but look at the cost!

Someone posted here an idea to use the ocean water to wash off the rocks. I wonder why they don't just implement that idea. http://www.city-data.com/forum/27139175-post17.html

Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
I'm sure the local businesses there (especially the hotels and restaurants) will be thrilled! The pungent odor lately has been just horrible. Much worse than in the past. The last few times I've gone I almost vomited just smelling it and I could NEVER imagine eating at a restaurant with that strong odor.

Oddstray, I missed it in that article. How much are they estimating it will cost the taxpayers to clean this up? And I imagine this will be an ongoing "forever" type expense. If you can post the estimates it will cost, I'd be curious to hear how much this will cost.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I'm sure the local businesses there (especially the hotels and restaurants) will be thrilled! The pungent odor lately has been just horrible. Much worse than in the past. The last few times I've gone I almost vomited just smelling it and I could NEVER imagine eating at a restaurant with that strong odor.

Oddstray, I missed it in that article. How much are they estimating it will cost the taxpayers to clean this up? And I imagine this will be an ongoing "forever" type expense. If you can post the estimates it will cost, I'd be curious to hear how much this will cost.
Exactly!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Exactly!
I also noticed several houses with for sale signs right near where the smell is the worst. I can't imagine having a house with a million dollar view (or multi-million dollar view) and that horrible smell everyday.

I guess now once they scrub that horrible smell, they have a good chance to sell the house but NO way I'd buy a property there with the constant horrible smell.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 PM

I don't know what the cost is. The articles (in the UT and the LA Times) don't say how much. They do say that a firm is "hired" so it will be at some cost.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I don't know what the cost is. The articles (in the UT and the LA Times) don't say how much. They do say that a firm is "hired" so it will be at some cost.

Ah ok. Got it. Yeah, I've seen a few articles about this but they always conveniently leave out the cost to the taxpayers. I thought maybe there was an article I missed or something.

As mentioned, this sounds like it will be a "forever on-going cost" type of thingy. Hopefully it's not too expensive.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Its 50k.

Breaking News: City to begin La Jolla Cove bird poop cleaning on Tuesday | La Jolla Light

Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM

That's actually not too bad, assuming it won't need to be repeated very often.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's actually not too bad, assuming it won't need to be repeated very often.
The most important part of that article is, " As of Friday evening, it was unclear how frequently the product may need to be applied."

Yeah, $50,000 isn't much but much just depends how often it needs to be applied and how many times a year. But if it's not many times a year it isn't bad.

Heck, I'm sure the local businesses around there would pool their funds together and would have paid for it if the city didn't.

I shook my head the last time I was there a few weeks ago. I was dry heaving and saw people eating seafood on some of the outdoor balconies there. I couldn't understand how they could stand eating with that pungent smell. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: