Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 AM

7 posts, read 11,405 times

Advertisements

Hello SD residents! I have browsed some of the threads, and figured it would be easier to just start a new thread with my own situation and go from there. I recently graduated from college last Saturday with my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Studies, with minors in Marketing, Management, Economics, and Small Business/Entrepreneurship from a small university in Maryland. Last April, I had the opportunity to spend four months in LA before deciding it was in my best interest to go back to college and finish my degree. When I left LA in August, my goal was to return to LA when I graduated, with the last tool I needed to be successful. After much research and evaluation of my time in LA, I decided that LA wasn't going to be the right area for me right away. I have talked to many friends and classmates about my situation, and all of them have said that SD is the place to go/be at my age in Cali.

So having decided on SD being the area that I will be relocating to a few months ago, I have been diligently doing my homework for the process of relocating there. I have found a couple options as far as renting that are supposedly close to downtown SD (meaning the commute using public transportation is less than an hour). So my first question is in regards to the areas I have locations that are in my price range for rent. How are the living situations in the cities of El Cajon & Imperial Beach. What I mean by "living situations" are realistic views of the quality of life there: crime rate, job opportunities in a close proximity, actual commute times to other areas surrounding SD, etc.

My second question is in regards to the public transit system itself. How is it? Do a lot of people actually use it, or do they commute using their own vehicles? As far as being "sketchy", is it? And any other information that anybody may have as far as the commute between the cities themselves.

Third, are those two cities a good place for first-time SD residents? If so, why? If not, what other areas would be recommended that would offer good job opportunities for recent college grads such as myself, and offer areas that you can rent between the $400-$700 rent/month cost? (thats what I'm looking at now)

My fourth question is a very serious question that I need honest feedback on. I am currently in a relationship that I have been in for over three years. Unfortunately, we have spent 3/4 of our relationship long distance (4 hours away) attending college at different ends of the state. Now that we are both done with college, we both want to relocate to SD. However I feel that if we go out to SD and we do not find jobs that are able to sustain us staying out there, we will blow through the savings we both have accumulated seperately (I'be worked/sold everything I own and have about $2500-3K to work with, and she has between $1-$2k saved, giving us a combined total of around $4-$5 k to work with). So I think that if I go out there by myself and find a job first and save, while she stays here in MD and works and saves up as much as possible while living at home, this will increase our chances of success as supposed to both of us doing it, incurring double the cost of moving out there. What should I do? Should I bring her out with me in the hopes that we will both find jobs that will sustain us, or should I come out alone and find a job and save, and then bring her out in a month or two after we have both been able to save and I have a job which would give her more freedom in finding a job that matches what she studied at college (Journalism and Broadcasting)?

For my fifth question, I do not expect to get any real offers but I figure I might as well throw it out there lol . Are there any individuals reading this post that currently work at or have any connections that would be able to help me get an interview with either a company or agency that I would be able to work in the Marketing Department of, or Advertising? I know it's a longshot, but if anyone works in HR for their company or knows of availble positions within their company that knows of positions of this nature, I would deeply appreciate the opportunity for an interview. If you do, my email address is gregory.heisey@yahoo.com ,and I can have my resume to you as soon as now

I am looking to make this move in the next 1-2 weeks, so feedback and responses are greatly encouraged in a timely manner so that I can make my final decisions as quickly as possible. I want to thank everyone in the meantime for taking the time to read this post, and if you reply, well than I at least owe you a handshake and a drink for assisting me in my time where not only do I not know anyone currently living in SD, but I have also never been there as well. I know other individuals such as myself post on here very frequently, but hopefully any responses posted on this thread will also help out others that are in a similar situation(s).

Again, thank you all San Diego residents for your time and I look forward to reading your responses, responding to future replies, and becoming a San Diego resident myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Get a job before you move.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjheisey View Post
Hello SD residents! I have browsed some of the threads, and figured it would be easier to just start a new thread with my own situation and go from there. I recently graduated from college last Saturday with my Bachelors of Science in Liberal Studies, with minors in Marketing, Management, Economics, and Small Business/Entrepreneurship from a small university in Maryland. Last April, I had the opportunity to spend four months in LA before deciding it was in my best interest to go back to college and finish my degree. When I left LA in August, my goal was to return to LA when I graduated, with the last tool I needed to be successful. After much research and evaluation of my time in LA, I decided that LA wasn't going to be the right area for me right away. I have talked to many friends and classmates about my situation, and all of them have said that SD is the place to go/be at my age in Cali.

So having decided on SD being the area that I will be relocating to a few months ago, I have been diligently doing my homework for the process of relocating there. I have found a couple options as far as renting that are supposedly close to downtown SD (meaning the commute using public transportation is less than an hour). So my first question is in regards to the areas I have locations that are in my price range for rent. How are the living situations in the cities of El Cajon & Imperial Beach. What I mean by "living situations" are realistic views of the quality of life there: crime rate, job opportunities in a close proximity, actual commute times to other areas surrounding SD, etc. El Cajon has some areas that are a bit rough. Other parts are perfectly fine. The part that's just the beginning coming from La Mesa is fairly nice (I would consider moving there). I haven't spent much time in IB but overall it seemed okay to to me. Both would be reasonable distances to commute to downtown.

My second question is in regards to the public transit system itself. How is it? Do a lot of people actually use it, or do they commute using their own vehicles? As far as being "sketchy", is it? And any other information that anybody may have as far as the commute between the cities themselves.I've taken it many times (trollies, busses). I definitely would recommend getting a car though if that's an option for you. I really only take public transportation when I'm doing things at my leisure and it's convenient to. At times they were sketchy. Loud, young, ghettoish people (I just switched carts), and a couple of times homeless people who smell of urine pick me to sit next to.... Once one of them asked me where they could find a cheap shop to buy a bong...

Third, are those two cities a good place for first-time SD residents? If so, why? If not, what other areas would be recommended that would offer good job opportunities for recent college grads such as myself, and offer areas that you can rent between the $400-$700 rent/month cost? (thats what I'm looking at now) Since what you are willing to pay is low, yes based off living with your girlfriend. I really don't know many places you can rent for $700 though based off 1 person that would be a decent area. I went on Craigslist entering $400-$700 and your choices are fairly slim.

My fourth question is a very serious question that I need honest feedback on. I am currently in a relationship that I have been in for over three years. Unfortunately, we have spent 3/4 of our relationship long distance (4 hours away) attending college at different ends of the state. Now that we are both done with college, we both want to relocate to SD. However I feel that if we go out to SD and we do not find jobs that are able to sustain us staying out there, we will blow through the savings we both have accumulated seperately (I'be worked/sold everything I own and have about $2500-3K to work with, and she has between $1-$2k saved, giving us a combined total of around $4-$5 k to work with). So I think that if I go out there by myself and find a job first and save, while she stays here in MD and works and saves up as much as possible while living at home, this will increase our chances of success as supposed to both of us doing it, incurring double the cost of moving out there. What should I do? Should I bring her out with me in the hopes that we will both find jobs that will sustain us, or should I come out alone and find a job and save, and then bring her out in a month or two after we have both been able to save and I have a job which would give her more freedom in finding a job that matches what she studied at college (Journalism and Broadcasting)? Personally I would save more money because the amount you have saved based on what you can pay for rent really isn't a decent amount to start with. Also I don't know how long you would be willing to stay in SD to see if you get a job. 2 months? 6?

For my fifth question, I do not expect to get any real offers but I figure I might as well throw it out there lol . Are there any individuals reading this post that currently work at or have any connections that would be able to help me get an interview with either a company or agency that I would be able to work in the Marketing Department of, or Advertising? I know it's a longshot, but if anyone works in HR for their company or knows of availble positions within their company that knows of positions of this nature, I would deeply appreciate the opportunity for an interview. If you do, my email address is gregory.heisey@yahoo.com ,and I can have my resume to you as soon as now

I am looking to make this move in the next 1-2 weeks, so feedback and responses are greatly encouraged in a timely manner so that I can make my final decisions as quickly as possible. I want to thank everyone in the meantime for taking the time to read this post, and if you reply, well than I at least owe you a handshake and a drink for assisting me in my time where not only do I not know anyone currently living in SD, but I have also never been there as well. I know other individuals such as myself post on here very frequently, but hopefully any responses posted on this thread will also help out others that are in a similar situation(s).

Again, thank you all San Diego residents for your time and I look forward to reading your responses, responding to future replies, and becoming a San Diego resident myself

See what I typed in bold. Hope it helps!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I'll repeat what advice has already been given...which is stellar! Line up employment first. I know it is NOT what you want to hear,but jobs are scarce and you'll be lining up with every other person who has just graduated. You will breeze through the amt of savings you have in a very short time on rent alone. You could very well find yourselves homeless...it happens more than anyone likes to think. I wish you luck.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Well the problem I'm facing is that I have been contacted for interviews by companies, but they want me in normally in the following three days. This is where the problem lies. I figure the rental opportunity I have is a month-to-month, and that will give me a full month to grind it out and go to these interviews. Other than that, I do know that employment before I settle IS necessary, but I do not know of another way that I could accomplish this. What's your guys take on that problem?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Get a job before you move.
I agree, and you need to have more money saved, also.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Well the problem I'm facing is that I have been contacted for interviews by companies, but they want me in normally in the following three days. This is where the problem lies. I figure the rental opportunity I have is a month-to-month, and that will give me a full month to grind it out and go to these interviews. Other than that, I do know that employment before I settle IS necessary, but I do not know of another way that I could accomplish this. What's your guys take on that problem?
What you're planning might work. If it does, then it'll be great for you.

If it doesn't - if all those job possibilities disappear and you run out of money - then do you have a fallback plan?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
I understand wanting to move from Maryland to San Diego, but I had a job lined up before I made the move and I had some assets to tap into to tide me over for a while.

You've got two months worth of living expenses. That is going to be tough to swing. I mean, yes, the job market is better, and yes, there are tide you over jobs that you can take in the meantime.

Still, if things don't work out, do you have other assets than your savings? Does your family buy in to your move and more importantly, can they help you if things get tough?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I understand wanting to move from Maryland to San Diego, but I had a job lined up before I made the move and I had some assets to tap into to tide me over for a while.

You've got two months worth of living expenses. That is going to be tough to swing. I mean, yes, the job market is better, and yes, there are tide you over jobs that you can take in the meantime.

Still, if things don't work out, do you have other assets than your savings? Does your family buy in to your move and more importantly, can they help you if things get tough?
No sir. My family is completely useless and stuck in their ways of living in poverty. I am trying to be the change I want to see. I have struggled since I was 18. I have been completely on my own and I was able to get myself through college and survive all on my own. Moving out there creates the separation I need from them, plus I need to be in an overall better environment that i know Cali can offer me to be successful. I wish employers read this forum to help recruit employees looking for careers lol. I know that given the opportunity, I will not only succeed I will thrive. I just need the opportunity.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
After much research and evaluation of my time in LA, I decided that LA wasn't going to be the right area for me right away. I have talked to many friends and classmates about my situation, and all of them have said that SD is the place to go/be at my age in Cali.

Third, are those two cities a good place for first-time SD residents? If so, why? If not, what other areas would be recommended that would offer good job opportunities for recent college grads such as myself, and offer areas that you can rent between the $400-$700 rent/month cost? (thats what I'm looking at now)

(I'be worked/sold everything I own and have about $2500-3K to work with, and she has between $1-$2k saved, giving us a combined total of around $4-$5 k to work with). So I think that if I go out there by myself and find a job first and save, while she stays here in MD and works and saves up as much as possible while living at home, this will increase our chances of success as supposed to both of us doing it, incurring double the cost of moving out there. What should I do? Should I bring her out with me in the hopes that we will both find jobs that will sustain us, or should I come out alone and find a job and save, and then bring her out in a month or two after we have both been able to save and I have a job which would give her more freedom in finding a job that matches what she studied at college (Journalism and Broadcasting)?
Everyone else is offering good and sound advice. Just out of curiosity, why did all of your friends told you that San Diego would be a better option for you vs. Los Angeles? What are the reasons and rational for that advice?

Because you could probably land a job MUCH easier in Los Angeles vs. San Diego. The plain truth of the matter is that employers do NOT need to hire people fresh out of university with NO real work experience or life experiences vs. people with experience. With the "sun shine" tax, employers will always have their pick at experienced and educated employees willing to work for mediocre salaries in San Diego. So you will have an uphill battle.

You don't have nearly the amount of savings you need either for this move.

Your rental budget is totally unrealistic for San Diego. Possible? Maybe with a few options that probably aren't that great. Probable? No.

I'm going to be more blunt than some of the other great posters. I'll say that someone in your situation should NOT be moving to a city like San Diego. Go to a less desirable city with a better job market and economy. Get some experience, work experience, life experiences, save up and bank some serious savings, and San Diego will always be here waiting for you when you are truly ready for a move like this.

IMHO, you are shooting yourself in the foot if you try to move to San Diego right now. And odds are you probably will be forced into taking some crappy retail or restaurant gig. That will look HORRIBLE on your resume while other competition is in REAL jobs in their majors, you might "dead end" yourself in some nothing job which automatically puts you behind other people. On the other hand, imagine if you moved to another city, got a few years experience in a great job, made great money and tried to move to San Diego then. That would be the smarter move.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego