Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM

142 posts, read 205,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I was in bed last night reading the paper while my wife was watching some mindless "reality TV". She was watching the Bachelor and I couldn't believe some of the 'tools' on the show. LOL. It was almost comical and a bit painful to watch. Ha, ha.
The Bachelor's on again? Oh, I must catch up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:44 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I haven't noticed the games here are any different than anywhere else, but I have noticed there is an overall type of people here in my age range who seem to all be fairly similar. It's the under 35, I smoke marijuana, I work in sales, I surf almost everyday, I hang out with a large group of friends/party 2x a week, and I have 2-3 roommates. I seem to meet a lot of guys like this (not meaning merely on dates, but I meet a lot of guys like that in general in San Diego). Laidback sure, but I do not find a lot of them are serious about commitment and are emotionally immature. They just seem to want to date just to date, have some company, have sex, and then repeat all the other things they were doing before and after the date.

I've said it before to friends here (who are all married), that San Diego is an easy place to date but hard to find a relationship.
This is San Diego. And years ago there really wasn't even a 'upscale' downtown nightclub scene. This works for dating, working, etc. There are many people who would rather hang out and surf than work 100 hours a week. It's Peter Pan Land. If you want to find professional white collar individuals who wear suits and ties and live the Wall Street life, you moved to the wrong city.

Can you find somebody in San Diego? Yes, but it is a young town. It's more hang out at the beach, snowboard in the mountains, and work as little as possible. Plus you live in PB. PB is the 22 year old bar town. Not sure what you expected.

As far as the OP, there are people everywhere and anywhere. it's more about joining clubs, volunteering, having common interests. San diego isn't really the town where you go to some bar or nightclub to meet Mr or Mrs. Right.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetalk View Post
I am open to all ages. I am not sure though how someone successful can be a peter pan. If that means just wanting to be a kid sometimes, aren't we all like that?
San diego and Southern California seems to have far more wealthy people that didn't exactly work for it compared to many other cities. There are plenty of Millionaires in NYC and many of them slaved away 120 hours a week for years, got some breaks, moved up, made the right picks, cashed in. And they probably moved to Florida.

San Diego seems to have far too many people who got a house handed to them from a grandparent and flipped it or made it into some quadplex. Nothing wrong with that. Good for them. But they have a far different attitude than somebody who slaved away in their 20's and 30's. There are also a lot of people who move to San diego from somewhere else and they made money somewhere else. Except they were a-holes someplace else and remain a-holes in San diego. Not everybody is like that, and Orange County is far worse.

I honestly never met so many people in their twenties who already traveled the world as compared to San diego. It seems everybody and their brother who live in San diego has traveled the world, don't really work, and are only interested in travel companions. And yet they don't seem to know anything about any cultures. More like they traveled on somebody elses dime and spent most of the time trashed.

I don't know if people are just full of it or most of these people are just living on trust funds, but even in NYC you don't hear of people just traveling all the time and never working. I've met a lot of young people who seem to live the Celebrity going to the finest beaches around the world life, except they have a job that can't even pay rent on a studio. And they aren't living in hostiles or backpacking across the globe.

But back to the Peter Pan complex. Its not about being young. Its more like there are far more people in Southern California who are 45 years old and hanging out at 22 year old bars and getting trashed every weekend and thats all they talk about. They might be weekend warriors, but there was a point most of us used to watch 30+ year olds in those 22 year old bars and laugh at them. And we sure never wanted to become those guys or gals. San diego is filled with those guys and gals who seem to think they are still 22, but are 45. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a kid, but if your life is based around getting trashed every weekend in PB and you're 45, it becomes far more than a peter pan complex.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
Quote:
The Bachelor's on again? Oh, I must catch up
Yeah, I don't think it ever went off the air. Although after what I saw it's CLEARLY time for them to cancel the show. It's pretty bad. I'm not much of a TV watcher but typically will read the Wall Street Journal in bed while the wife is watching TV after the kids sleep. Man, it was painful to watch! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
This is San Diego. And years ago there really wasn't even a 'upscale' downtown nightclub scene. This works for dating, working, etc. There are many people who would rather hang out and surf than work 100 hours a week. It's Peter Pan Land. If you want to find professional white collar individuals who wear suits and ties and live the Wall Street life, you moved to the wrong city.

As far as the OP, there are people everywhere and anywhere. it's more about joining clubs, volunteering, having common interests. San diego isn't really the town where you go to some bar or nightclub to meet Mr or Mrs. Right.
I totally agree Pedro. Yep. San Diego is NOT the town to really find overly ambitious professionals. Totally agree as mentioned before that the LAST place you want to try to find a good guy is at a bar. Especially in San Diego. My most meaningful relationships/friendships have been from volunteering, school stuff for the kids, stuff around the Club here where I belong and heck, I've even made some very close lifelong friendships with a few guys on Citydata of all places!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
San diego and Southern California seems to have far more wealthy people that didn't exactly work for it compared to many other cities. There are plenty of Millionaires in NYC and many of them slaved away 120 hours a week for years, got some breaks, moved up, made the right picks, cashed in. And they probably moved to Florida.

San Diego seems to have far too many people who got a house handed to them from a grandparent and flipped it or made it into some quadplex. Nothing wrong with that. Good for them. But they have a far different attitude than somebody who slaved away in their 20's and 30's. There are also a lot of people who move to San diego from somewhere else and they made money somewhere else. Except they were a-holes someplace else and remain a-holes in San diego. Not everybody is like that, and Orange County is far worse.

I honestly never met so many people in their twenties who already traveled the world as compared to San diego. It seems everybody and their brother who live in San diego has traveled the world, don't really work, and are only interested in travel companions. And yet they don't seem to know anything about any cultures. More like they traveled on somebody elses dime and spent most of the time trashed.

I don't know if people are just full of it or most of these people are just living on trust funds, but even in NYC you don't hear of people just traveling all the time and never working. I've met a lot of young people who seem to live the Celebrity going to the finest beaches around the world life, except they have a job that can't even pay rent on a studio. And they aren't living in hostiles or backpacking across the globe.

But back to the Peter Pan complex. Its not about being young. Its more like there are far more people in Southern California who are 45 years old and hanging out at 22 year old bars and getting trashed every weekend and thats all they talk about. They might be weekend warriors, but there was a point most of us used to watch 30+ year olds in those 22 year old bars and laugh at them. And we sure never wanted to become those guys or gals. San diego is filled with those guys and gals who seem to think they are still 22, but are 45. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a kid, but if your life is based around getting trashed every weekend in PB and you're 45, it becomes far more than a peter pan complex.
SD is no longer a place to "make it", it seems. 45 y/o in PB? That must be a sight to see.

Last edited by Walkthetalk; 05-29-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Hmm, SD sounds like a little playground of dot com millionaires/hedge fund babies. I wonder if this is more so since I was there in the 90's. I recall meeting a variety of professionals, plus the military & student regulars. Seems like the professionals there now arrived at the top of their game.

45 y/o in surfer PB? That must be a sight to see.

Actually I'd have to strongly disagree. San Diego totally isn't the type of city where I've met tons of young millionaires or multi-millionaires. Not at all. I'm not sure which circles some of you all are in but I network quite a bit and I haven't met many younger truly wealthy types like in San Francisco or NYC or other cities where it's abundant.

While there is some 'old money' in areas like Coronado, La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe and some other more affluent communities, I really haven't met too many of these younger types with lots of money in San Diego. My guess is it is more talk and show vs. reality.

Much of the younger types (30's/40's) here have no/negative net worth here in San Diego.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,457 times
Quote:
Scientifically, that's not true for all women. It depends on her specific biology, which consists of genetics and environmental factors (like how well she takes care of her body). Unless you want to have 10 kids, a woman in her 40's may produce two or three for you, which is usually enough. A woman in her 30's is no guarantee of fertility. Some start peri-menopause at 34 while others start it at 54. If you want guaranteed fertility I would suggest dating only women in their 20's. Otherwise widening your range may give you more choices. Keep in mind also, that every year that men wait to reproduce, their fertility or ability to produce healthy children diminishes as well. There is no advantage or guarantee for either gender, and just like it is for women - every man is different.

By your post you're assuming I want children, but I only talked about seeking a possible LTR.
Not to be argumentative, but while what you are saying about there being no guarantee of a woman in her 30s getting pregnant is absolutely true, the odds decrease significantly with age.

If you want to raise children, you're going to go with a partner who has better odds of having them. And the odds are significantly higher for women in their 30s than for someone in her 40s.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetalk
"Hmm, SD sounds like a little playground of dot com millionaires/hedge fund babies. I wonder if this is more so since I was there in the 90's. I recall meeting a variety of professionals, plus the military & student regulars. Seems like the professionals there now arrived at the top of their game."

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Actually I'd have to strongly disagree. San Diego totally isn't the type of city where I've met tons of young millionaires or multi-millionaires. Not at all. I'm not sure which circles some of you all are in but I network quite a bit and I haven't met many younger truly wealthy types like in San Francisco or NYC or other cities where it's abundant.

While there is some 'old money' in areas like Coronado, La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe and some other more affluent communities, I really haven't met too many of these younger types with lots of money in San Diego. My guess is it is more talk and show vs. reality.

Much of the younger types (30's/40's) here have no/negative net worth here in San Diego.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Not to be argumentative, but while what you are saying about there being no guarantee of a woman in her 30s getting pregnant is absolutely true, the odds decrease significantly with age.

If you want to raise children, you're going to go with a partner who has better odds of having them. And the odds are significantly higher for women in their 30s than for someone in her 40s.
The odds of a pregnancy & healthy child occurring between an older woman & man in his 20's/30's is also much higher than with a man in his 40's.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetalk
"Hmm, SD sounds like a little playground of dot com millionaires/hedge fund babies. I wonder if this is more so since I was there in the 90's. I recall meeting a variety of professionals, plus the military & student regulars. Seems like the professionals there now arrived at the top of their game."

Thanks for clarifying.

No problem. I didn't want you to get the wrong idea about San Diego. The Bay Area it is not!

Also, besides me, I have two friends in the car business here. And they both tell me that the majority of the people coming in to buy luxury cars that are in that age range, more times then not they aren't making much money at all. And they have small down payments they can put down. As well, they can't afford many upgrades in the car. They mostly want to be seen in a German luxury car.

Sure, there might be a few of these types that Pedro mentioned that might be dot com millionaires. But most of these types are in other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego