Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Very well said. This is the conundrum of San Diego. Sure you can find a 110k software engineer job. There are dozens. But what happens in 5-10 years when you are managing a tech team and making 200k? Tech jobs come and go, and if you lose that job, you have zero options in SD but to leave. I've seen it happen over and over again. In other high COL / high pay cities, there so many more options that don't require relocation or a pay cut to stay at the senior level. Not to mention LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Houston, Dallas, have industries that just don't exist here - consumer internet, finance, entertainment, energy, etc.
BINGO! Exactly. I've made that point many times on these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times
One of the things I like the most about San Diego is the Mexican food.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Where futbol? Don't recognize that distinctive and attractive tray and tabletop except maybe that place in ~Barrio Logan.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Where futbol? Don't recognize that distinctive and attractive tray and tabletop except maybe that place in ~Barrio Logan.
This is at the restaurant I mentioned before on Mira Mesa, Habaneros.

Those fish tacos are not even my favorite dish, although they are good. Their carne asada plate is worth the trip.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:28 AM

358 posts, read 584,070 times
Quote:
Very well said. This is the conundrum of San Diego. Sure you can find a 110k software engineer job. There are dozens. But what happens in 5-10 years when you are managing a tech team and making 200k? Tech jobs come and go, and if you lose that job, you have zero options in SD but to leave or take a massive pay cut back to where you were 5 years ago. I've seen it happen over and over again. In other high COL / high pay cities, there so many more options that don't require relocation or a pay cut to stay at the senior level. Not to mention LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Houston, Dallas, have industries that just don't exist here - consumer internet, finance, entertainment, energy, etc.
First, the likelihood of you going from 110k to 200k in 5-10 years, I think is very slim. If you can make that jump in 5-10 years, you're a superstar. To make $200k around here, you're probably either at a VP or SVP level. To move from Sr. Engineering level to VP/SVP in 5-10 years, I'm pretty sure you can get a job anywhere, since you're THAT good. Secondly, what you're saying is, you'd rather live in Bay Area and live a worse life style (your paycheck compare to COL is lower than SD), just for the rare scenario where in 5-10 years from now, you can't find a VP/SVP position down here? That doesn't make any sense to me. I rather live here while I can still find a job that pays better relative to the COL. When the day come where you can't find a replacement VP job, then by all mean, move to where the pay/COL ratio is better at that time. But why suffer just now, just for the slim probability in the future. I think the probability of you being just a Staff or Sr. Staff after 5-10 years making $130-140k is much higher than you becoming a VP/SVP. There are plenty of those jobs here too.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 AM

34 posts, read 75,337 times
Quote:
Very well said. This is the conundrum of San Diego. Sure you can find a 110k software engineer job. There are dozens. But what happens in 5-10 years when you are managing a tech team and making 200k? Tech jobs come and go, and if you lose that job, you have zero options in SD but to leave or take a massive pay cut back to where you were 5 years ago. I've seen it happen over and over again. In other high COL / high pay cities, there so many more options that don't require relocation or a pay cut to stay at the senior level. Not to mention LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Houston, Dallas, have industries that just don't exist here - consumer internet, finance, entertainment, energy, etc.
In my area there are bout 200 software related jobs and in san diego about 5000 just on an online job board. I really dont think this would happen. Also i think the problem with most people today is there all focused on careers instead of going out and starting there own business which is what i want to do eventually. Also there are so many jobs in tech i dont think it would be hard to find another one if you were a top notch manager...

Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin36 View Post
In my area there are bout 200 software related jobs and in san diego about 5000 just on an online job board. I really dont think this would happen. Also i think the problem with most people today is there all focused on careers instead of going out and starting there own business which is what i want to do eventually. Also there are so many jobs in tech i dont think it would be hard to find another one if you were a top notch manager...
San Diego in my experience is not a social/career climbing environment. It just isn't.

The biggest issue thatt I have seen in cellular here, at least in my experience, is that companies may change direction or divisions but the personnel remain the same especially at the mid to top. I have clients that I have worked with for years that are top performers in their field. We have had lunch many times over the years and for as many oppts come around for them to move to a higher paying job, they simply will not. Many of these guys have families and kids that are totally settled in. A few have left but have always told me that it seemed like a great idea at the time....but.

Those individuals that have been in SD for a while simply don't leave. Myself included. We sold our company and I had the option of cashing out or sticking around. We plan on being around for a while and it was for more advantageous to network and really establish a stronger presence here than try and redo it again somewhere else in another company or city.

I don't live to work or try to climb some career ladder. There are cities more geared for that which are great. I also think its totally the exception to work in a corporation for decades here in high tech fields here vs the norm. But I think oppt in mobile/cellular has passed its prime for getting in and staying SD. There are a ton of qualified people ahead of the line now, whereas maybe a decade ago this was not the case as much when it kept growing.

So yeah there may be tons of jobs online, but it comes down to what your goals and ambitions are for the long term.

Working in volatile industries requires some thinking and strategizing in SD. You make too much elsewhere, salaries will look slim here. You have decent experience, you are competing with others that have higher internal seniority.

YMMV in other industries.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Pretty much all of us in the industry (computers) know each other either from working together at some time, taking courses or applying for jobs at the same place/time. Yes, it's that small.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
These are totally subjective...

Pros:
- Higher real estate prices (I think the premiums are ok to live here)
- Just the right proportion of neighborhoods relative to population (never feels over crowded)
- Far enough away from major metros but close enough to make a long weekend
- Natural beauty and weather already mentioned (not overly man made)
- Diversity, spread out by still diverse population
- Wide array of dining options and beer scene
- Hiking trails and tons of outdoor recreation options
- Most people
- Not overly corporate driven
- Very safe in most areas

Cons
- Santa Ana wind conditions (bad allergies)
- Some sprawl but not too bad
- Ice cold Pacific for swimming without a wetsuit or rash guard (plus side is keeps air cool)
- A city this beautiful that seems perpetually both politically and financially bankrupt
- Quasi zip code superiority/inferiority status lingo
- Never get the impression that folks look to live here long term legitimately (transient)

Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
you guys are discussing some of what I've been thinking about.

I do work in technology, but more specifically I've been working as a DoD contractor for the last decade. I mostly support the Navy now but also have a lot of experience with Air Force.

I am thinking about moving to San Diego as I recently started working from home (on several different projects and should be able to continue for as long as I want to, barring a firing).

From what I can see SD is cheaper than the Bay Area, and for my field specifically, San Diego might actually be better than the Bay area. (Could be wrong...but it seems that way given the military presence and I often see jobs in my field there).

I figured, if I do get fired I have a better chance in SD area, if I were to start looking on my own I'd like to move into University work (staff or academic) later on.

I'm not totally convinced though I also feel drawn to the Bay area just in a different way. I'm not looking to buy a house but rent. SD is unquestioningly cheaper to rent a nice place.

thoughts? At least for me it doesn't seem so certain I could find something in the Bay Area just because I work in technology. I'm not an "all purpose" IT person but rather specialized in a specific field, and further I'm well known in DoD circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego