Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,794,503 times

Advertisements

HI All,

My family is considering moving to San Diego (probably north county, like Oceanside or San Marcos). We currently live near the coast in CT. I have my own business (patent and trademark law). I am already licensed in California, as well as CT. I make in the low 6 figures, wife (she is on staff at a local university) makes in the mid 5 figures, and we have a boy about to start pre-K. My main concern is that the housing prices are so much higher in SD, we will probably need to spend an additional 50% for a house we like in SD, and my wife will probably not be able to find work at the same income (and will probably want to work part-time anyhow in order to be with our son more). My income should stay the same (my current clients should stay, since I will keep a virtual office here in CT), and hopefully grow since I will be developing new clients in SOCAL.

According to mortgage calculators, based on my income alone, we should be able to afford a house of over $550K, but we will want stay in the $300k to $460K range, so we won't be "house poor".

Is this a pipe dream? Do any of you all see any obvious holes in our plan? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,561,382 times
$300k, not going to happen for a single-family home. $400k maybe, but it's going to be a dump. Also, hopefully you will have either a home office, or an office near where you live. A commute from the areas you mention, into downtown, would be hell.

Also, make sure you calculate all the increased taxes and fees you will pay in CA, including the ridiculous income tax, vehicle fees, higher gas prices and taxes, etc.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,232,264 times
blakesq,

Whereabouts are you in CT? Depending on where you are from, its all relative in terms of what kind of expectations you have.
For example are you coming from Greenwich or Stamford expecting that in San Diego for that price, its not the reality here. We really dont have that kind of area here in terms of vibe which is total east yuppie. Dudes wearing Brooks Brothers knit shirts folded 3/4s at the sleeves, cargo shorts, Ray Bans, boat shoes. Socio economically we do, but the vibe is different and you will find the Del Mar and La Jolla areas a bit closer to this. But you would need to double down to get anything in those areas, generally speaking.

Or are you coming from New Haven? If you are coming from greater New Haven, generally speaking an area like where I live, would seem not much different. Its an older suburb, modest prices and working class. But its not why people move to SD to live in this kind of area even though house are roughly identical in some parts of coastal neighborhoods. But they have a beach on their borders, we dont lol
It is 15 minutes away though to Coronado.

I would look in La Mesa for the price range you mentioned as a start, but it will be nothing special.

If you want to be off the grid somewhat you would have to look east in the county. But it does get warmer away from coast but you can get a bigger house and property size is that is more important for the price.

Absolutely though, Do NOT come here and buy right off the bat. Rent. Especially if you have no clue about neighborhoods and what you like. Its not like the northeast out here, where its miles and miles of suburbs, trees, side streets, trees, highway. Its just not designed that way here for the most part.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,349,783 times
Yep. As usual, totally agree with Shmoov's advice. Much of my wife's family lives up in CT and it's like Shmoov mentioned.

To the OP, it sounds like you are totally realistic both in terms of realizing that you will need to spend more money for a house and also you're very wise to just budget on YOUR salary. It's better being conservative like you are doing. Far too many move to San Diego and budget off both partner's salaries when often times it takes a while for one of them to find a job.

As well with a young child and not knowing if your wife will end up being a stay at home mom is wise. It sounds like you're being conservative which is always a good idea.

As USDefault mentioned, make sure you budget for the higher taxes. I believe California has higher sales tax, income taxes. I think the only area you might pay less taxes is on property taxes. I believe my in-laws mentioned they have high property tax rates up there. Probably nothing like NJ but I heard they were high.

I totally agree with Shmoov to rent for a while until you figure out all the areas. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM

86 posts, read 152,830 times
blakesq,

Unfortunately $300K will not buy you anything decent in San Diego proper, you maybe be able to find something in Escondido, San Marcos, Vista or Oceanside but know that it'll be nothing you've dreamed of, maybe not even close.

Back in 2010/2011, when we started our house search, we found very nice SFHs in Oceanside for that price point and it was only because the market was severely depressed back then, and supply exceeded demand overwhelmingly. That's not the case anymore...inventories are drying up, there appears to be a buying frenzy, which is pushing up prices.

San Marcos is a great little town and am not sure if you're planning to visit San Diego to get a sense of the neighborhoods, proximity to schools, shopping and other amenities ahead of your move. It's always a good idea to visit so you can put some perspective on the surroundings and general lifestyle.

If you decide on San Marcos, you may want to look at the San Elijo Hills village...arguably the best neighborhood in San Marcos if you have young children.

I totally agree with the other posters to rent first before you buy, this gives you time to survey many neighborhoods until you decide on where you want to move your family permanently.

On the flip side, if you're not interested in renting first, I'll recommend you check San Elijo Hills as you'll not be disappointed with this area. San Elijo Hills borders Carlsbad (La Costa), and not too far from the ocean....I've seen some new homes being built with prices starting at mid $400K albeit small lots (max 2000 sq, you can get up to 4 bedrooms).

Here's a link in case you're interested; San Elijo Hills

Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,794,503 times
Thanks for the replies. We do plan on renting first, unless we find the perfect, well priced house during our scouting trip at the end of July.

As for my office, I typically rent office space from another lawyer (who does not do patent work), or, rent space from a bank building, like I do now. I would simply want my office to be convenient to prospective customers, but it doesn't have to be downtown SD. It could be 2 miles from my house, as long as it is easy to get to.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM

788 posts, read 1,868,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Thanks for the replies. We do plan on renting first, unless we find the perfect, well priced house during our scouting trip at the end of July.

As for my office, I typically rent office space from another lawyer (who does not do patent work), or, rent space from a bank building, like I do now. I would simply want my office to be convenient to prospective customers, but it doesn't have to be downtown SD. It could be 2 miles from my house, as long as it is easy to get to.
South San Marcos has some nice, affordable areas. I think nearby Carlsbad or Vista would be a good location for your business. There are two large business parks in south Vista and Carlsbad along Palomar Airport Road.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM

4,524 posts, read 12,333,515 times
Patent work, I would suggest either office space downtown with the majority of the legal community, or office space in Sorrento Valley for the convenience of your clients who may be centered on the high tech industries in that area. However, housing prices tend to be pretty high in the areas surrounding Sorrento Valley. A downtown location would offer up a myriad of locations.

You could look at modern suburban style living in Eastlake, mid-century suburban living in places like San Carlos, Tierra Santa, La Mesa. Or early suburban style living in Kensington, Talmadge, North Park or Mission Hills. But be prepared to pay. Your minimum house cost is $500k. Adjust your expectations accordingly. The big Connecticut style house on the rural-ish acre lot doesn't happen cheaply in San Diego.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM

29 posts, read 45,159 times
The sub $500K market is brutal here right now. My parents live in CT and they think we are bonkers thinking about paying so much for tiny little houses with tiny little yards. But that's our reality. Now if only we can find someone to accept an offer!!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,068,699 times
We are debating Stamford v Los Angeles but San Diego is in the mix too... How are prices in San Diego compared to Greenwich Stamford?

We might make the move as early as June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego