Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksd23 View Post
There's a lot of bad advice clearly from non-MBA holders.

I finished the UCSD Rady full time program in 2012 and it clearly helped me get a leg up in the job market - before MBA and after MBA for me was no comparison. My value increased immensely, and my tax returns can back that up. But you have to make the most of the program when you are there -- the networking opportunities, the educational opportunities, etc.

Anyone here talking about how the MBA on the resume as being worthless or of little value unless a top-10 school is off-target. It helps (to land a position you actually want) immensely to immerse yourself in the network associated with the school. It may be expensive, and you may still have to float 30-40k of debt to finance the rest of the program, but you'll see quickly that it should pay off in this local setting. Maybe a 2-3yr cash on cash payoff if you consider the opportunity costs (assuming he could find a job quickly).

Of course, no guarantees -- if you are an unlikable person who doesn't make the most of the opportunities when you are there .... well that's like anything in life, right?
I'm glad that your MBA degree worked out for you. But I wouldn't say all the advice the OP got was "bad advice". Obviously in your case it worked out but many other people can give different examples. As well, there are TONS of articles out there like the one that I listed:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...rience-instead

Absolutely I won't say an MBA degree is worthless as I posted above. The main point that many people will make is that these days, real life work experiences often are much more valuable than any MBA degree.

As well, I know at least in a few of the people that posted they either own their own businesses that would employ potential MBA candidates or are in a position to hire people so you shouldn't so easily dismiss their advice as "clearly bad advice". I know at least in my case I've had the chance to employ many executives so I can speak with authority on how useful an MBA degree may or may not be.

Absolutely I won't say that an MBA degree is useless. Only that it's no where near as valuable as it used to be and not sure how anyone could argue with that fact.

As well, speaking of internships I thought this was REALLY interesting to read about. (I do think it will be overruled on appeal).

Unpaid No More: Interns Win Major Court Battle : NPR

Unpaid internships in jeopardy after court ruling

Eric Glatt, Plaintiff In Fox Searchlight Pictures Lawsuit, Describes His Internship And Legal Battle (VIDEO)

Something tells me that this guy, Eric won't be able to utilize his MBA degree too much. LOL. Not sure he will have too many job offers heading in the future. Like the OP's husband...this guy was formally in the financial field and wanted to totally switch careers. Something tells me the OP's journey will turn out MUCH better than this Eric guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Sorry but paying 100k to 'immerse yourself in a network' seems little really bad ROI. You can do that for free, if you really want to. Better to immerse yourself in the network of a role, job, company and build a network around that, IMO. But for many jobs, particularly finance and consulting, it makes sense I guess.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Sorry but paying 100k to 'immerse yourself in a network' seems little really bad ROI. You can do that for free, if you really want to. Better to immerse yourself in the network of a role, job, company and build a network around that, IMO. But for many jobs, particularly finance and consulting, it makes sense I guess.
I wish your path worked, and it does for many people. But how do you get the "role, job, company ... " at the start of your path in the first place?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 AM

774 posts, read 1,777,972 times
From what I've heard, second-tier MBA degrees are worthless. You are better off getting real experience.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I wish your path worked, and it does for many people. But how do you get the "role, job, company ... " at the start of your path in the first place?

I don't even think this is a case of "my path is better than your path". And as mentioned, I'm not saying an MBA degree can't be useful because they certainly can.

As far as how you start on the path in the first place? It's going to be through the traditional means of working hard, networking, networking, networking, starting in a lower position and working your way up and learning, learning, learning in those positions. Trying to find a mentor in any given field really can make a HUGE difference as well.

The biggest problem in business these days is I see where many people want to make HUGE salaries overnight right NOW. Many people don't have patience and they think that they will learn everything they need to know in business by getting an MBA degree and somehow that will magically make them a good manager or a good business leader, etc. That is rarely the case, IMHO.

No way am I saying they are worthless because for many people they are not. And you have to be doing an MBA program for the right reasons. It does sound like based on what the OP mentioned, her husband was going to be doing an MBA program anyway.

But as mentioned, an MBA degree just isn't as valuable as it once was.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP8525 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are in a dilemma trying to sort things out and would appreciate some feedback!

Here's our situation:

We currently live in NYC and have been here for 6 years. Tired of the hustle we have already been planning our escape route for over a year.

My job has offices all over the country, so I would easily be able to relocate to SD, maintaining my current job.

My husband on the other hand doesn't have this option. After trying to apply to jobs in SD, we decided the MBA route would be good to network in a place he has never lived in, change of career, etc.

He has been accepted into UCSD MBA with a 50K fellowship. We have no debt and savings to last us for a year aprox.

My family lives in SD, which is part of the reason why SD was an option for us to move. We both have visited many times and love it. Its basically where we want to settle down and start thinking about having a family.

So, is it best to move there with just my salary and have a school debt two years down the road?

Should we move and have only my salary while hubby looks for a job without school debt? Is the MBA worth it to get into the SD workforce?

Thanks for the help!!!
No one can tell you what is best for you. The decision has to be your own, based on several things. Of course an MBA is always a great thing to have. Will it assure you a better job down the road, that depends. With no debt and family to possibly help, it would make sense to go the MBA route. If you are doing it mainly for networking and at the same time know you want to stay in the San Diego area, I am not sure the value is there. Many of the companies that are going to be recruiting may be companies headquartered places other than San Diego.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I don't even think this is a case of "my path is better than your path". And as mentioned, I'm not saying an MBA degree can't be useful because they certainly can.

As far as how you start on the path in the first place? It's going to be through the traditional means of working hard, networking, networking, networking, ... .
The point I was going for, and completely failed to make, is that in the process of earning an MBA degree one is starting to build/acquire the network. For someone who doesn't have any other starting point, that may well be worth it.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The point I was going for, and completely failed to make, is that in the process of earning an MBA degree one is starting to build/acquire the network. For someone who doesn't have any other starting point, that may well be worth it.
Ahh. Ok..got it. Yes, I'd agree with you there. Some people are just horrible at networking and these days that can totally make you or totally break you.

I would agree that for many many people the MBA path does help you build up a network that they might necessarily not know how to build up on their own.

Still, I will say just in real life situations, my friends that haven't gotten MBA degrees and have work experience and know how to really network make substantially more money than other friends with MBA degrees that still aren't good at networking even after going through a mediocre MBA program.

I think the important thing is to have reasonable expectations of what you will and won't get out of an MBA degree/program. For many, many MBA graduates that are HORRIBLE at networking...... having an MBA degree doesn't all of a sudden change that. Sure, you will make contacts during your program but I think much depends on the program as well and still comes down to networking and especially experience and what you bring to the table. Same as if you didn't have an MBA degree.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
You're right, I'm just saying it's an expensive way to go about doing it. Most MBA programs teach finance and accounting, not sales and marketing. And ultimately, success in business is about being able to sell, even if it's just yourself. So in my mind, all the MBA gives you is a venue to grow confidence, but you're paying a lot of money for that, whereas you could get the same confidence by doing entry level sales, sales support or marketing in an industry you're interested in. You'll get beat up pretty good but will gain a ton of experience in a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego