Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,462,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
No bike lane = bikes have every right to take the lane (the WHOLE LANE) and will often ride 2 abreast to keep the lane. This is legal and expected. It's what they're SUPPOSED to do. It's not safe for a bike and a car to share a single lane, and it's often really not safe to be riding far enough to the right to have people passing you in the same lane. Why do you think those "sharrows" are painted on the road in parts of San Diego? It's to remind people that the bicyclists have every right, as a vehicle, to take the lane when there's no bike path.

Just because you're in a car and they're on a bike doesn't mean you have any more right to the road than they do.

Wrong. A bike is usually expected to stay right except under certain circumstances. Not having a bike lane isn't one of them.

Operation on Roadway

21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,462,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Depends. If there's a bike lane and they're overflowing the bike lane, then I agree with you. But otherwise not. This is to claim their legally appropriate space in a shared road that doesn't have a bike lane.

So they will also move over when they are going too slow for the traffic flow, just like a car is supposed to?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 3,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Visiting San Diego from Houston, TX and although I love your weather, the beaches, the interesting neighborhoods, beautiful parks, etc... I'm extremely disappointed in how unfriendly to cyclists the area is.

I came here and rode all over the city, la jolla and many different neighborhoods and was constantly honked at and cars did not seem to know what to do with cyclists. In addition, I found it ridiculous that the city would put a bike lane on a road that is 55mph speed limit.

I can't understand how a city that has so much going for it, especially the weather, would not be more friendly to cyclists. There really is no excuse not to be a bike friendly city.
When people honk it is to let you know they are there and not to ride into their moving vehicle. Either that or they want you to pop a wheelie or something. I dunno they probably think you're practicing for the x games and you should give them a instant drive by demo.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
So they will also move over when they are going too slow for the traffic flow, just like a car is supposed to?
Yes, if there is no bike lane riders are supposed to move center lane. I think that is what you are asking No different for a tractor or other heavy equipment moving slow.

It's definition is:

a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

Which is about 50% of all roads that don't have a specific bike lane.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
... (3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
It's been a long time since I've seen a street without a bike lane that wasn't lined with parked cars. That makes it downright unsafe to drive to the right. I've known bicyclists who got knocked head-over-heels by a car at the curb that suddenly opened a door.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times
Quote:
Wrong. A bike is usually expected to stay right except under certain circumstances. Not having a bike lane isn't one of them.

Operation on Roadway

21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997
"substandard width lane" = no bike lane = EXACTLY what I said.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It's been a long time since I've seen a street without a bike lane that wasn't lined with parked cars. That makes it downright unsafe to drive to the right. I've known bicyclists who got knocked head-over-heels by a car at the curb that suddenly opened a door.
I got doored and it really jacked me up too. I was on a training ride for a tri and some dude whipped his door open on Mission Bay drive. He said he was going for a ride and was hiding his keys under the seat. That's why I didn't see his face in the mirror. Well, I was doing about 25 and went to veer left but there was a car. I grabbed a handful of brake but just slid. The guy hears me yell @#$@#$ and rather than close the door he just jumps back in.

**BAM**

I woke up in the Hospital staring at the ceiling. Separated ribs, broken face, stabbed in the knee, snapped ACL and ruptured L5 disc.

a very very bad day.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,730,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I got doored and it really jacked me up too. I was on a training ride for a tri and some dude whipped his door open on Mission Bay drive. He said he was going for a ride and was hiding his keys under the seat. That's why I didn't see his face in the mirror. Well, I was doing about 25 and went to veer left but there was a car. I grabbed a handful of brake but just slid. The guy hears me yell @#$@#$ and rather than close the door he just jumps back in.

**BAM**

I woke up in the Hospital staring at the ceiling. Separated ribs, broken face, stabbed in the knee, snapped ACL and ruptured L5 disc.

a very very bad day.
Wow, when was this?

A couple of years ago up in Orange County they had a guy (a doctor of all people) who would intentionally pull in front of bicyclists and slam on the brakes, letting them crash into his car. After doing this to a few different people he got caught. A jury convicted him and he went to prison.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Wow, when was this?

A couple of years ago up in Orange County they had a guy (a doctor of all people) who would intentionally pull in front of bicyclists and slam on the brakes, letting them crash into his car. After doing this to a few different people he got caught. A jury convicted him and he went to prison.
It was quite a few years ago and I'm back to doing stupid pet tricks. I read about that kook and glad he got caught. What a knucklehead. It sounds like the clowns that crack windshields and then advertise replacing them.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Visiting San Diego from Houston, TX and although I love your weather, the beaches, the interesting neighborhoods, beautiful parks, etc... I'm extremely disappointed in how unfriendly to cyclists the area is.

I came here and rode all over the city, la jolla and many different neighborhoods and was constantly honked at and cars did not seem to know what to do with cyclists. In addition, I found it ridiculous that the city would put a bike lane on a road that is 55mph speed limit.

I can't understand how a city that has so much going for it, especially the weather, would not be more friendly to cyclists. There really is no excuse not to be a bike friendly city.
The area in and around Balboa Park is friendly. but as in all cities, you should always be alert and considerate of the car drivers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego