Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of the two which occur more often?
Thunderstorms 16 57.14%
Earthquakes 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI BOUND 37 View Post
Would I be able to here them from the coast?
Thunderstorms: I live at the coast (Bay Park), above Mission Bay. I would say in the winter, late at night ususually when I am asleep. I would say maybe once every winter and since I sleep through them, I don't noticed them. So the answer is very rare. Nothing like other states.

Earthquakes are very rare that you notice. The only one that scared me the last 50 years was the one that happened on Easter a few years ago and that one really scared me!

I am good with that, one scary one every 50 years and no damage in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM

241 posts, read 429,485 times
I heard about the one on Easter 2010.I bet the rumbling noise sound like a thunderstorm.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
It sounds like what you are really asking is what is more common in Cali: hearing thunder or feeling an earthquake.

That depends on your location, some areas get multiple t-storms in the summer (mountains) and many areas, especially the farthur northwest you go, get Winter type thunderstorms. But they are weak, not like a summer storm in the East.

With that said, and considering this is a SD thread...if you live in the urban area of San Diego County I would say on average you might hear a few claps of thunder in the Winter (literally, a few). At the same token, in the average year, there are probably a few (literally, a few) quakes that are noticed by some people in favorable circumstances from distant quakes. They are both infrequent and require you to be in the right place at the right time or else you will miss them. Neither are typically events that are strong enough that "everyone feels it" and many times people or the media will let you know it storms or quaked otherwise you wouldn't have known. That is what is common on a yearly basis. The uncommon years would be where a quake was strong enough that everyone felt it regardless of what they were doing or a storm so violent that people say it reminded them of a summer thunderstorm out east.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I heard about the one on Easter 2010.I bet the rumbling noise sound like a thunderstorm.
There is not much noise but the earth is moving beneath you. I was just happy my house did not fall down. The minor quakes most of us don't notice but that one was major. Earthquakes don't last long, that is the good news, and they are infrequent so that is the other good news. I won't not spend any time worrying about them. And I would spend zero time worrying about thunderstorms.

If you ever miss thunderstoms head over to Arizona during "monsoon" season, (July to September). I have done that and find that to be fascinating and beautiful since we don't really get thunderstoms here and not during warm weather like they do in Arizona.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM

That was a good break down Chelito and Happyinca.Thanks!!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now to me that's funny 'cause one thing I really missed, living in CA most of my life (born in SD even) were the summer thunderstorms I experienced while living in five southern states. Now I have them again. They're not without peril (house and brush fires and other fun stuff) but they sure are majestic and awe-inspiring, not to leave out beautiful.

During one storm a lightening bolt hit just yards in front of me while I was watching the show from just inside my garage with the door up. The sight, colors, sound and smell were awesome. So was the fact that it literally blew me back the full length of the garage. While driving during a subsequent storm another lightening bolt hit the road right behind our car and lifted the rear end. Some fun!
hmmm that sounds like just a little bit too much fun! I do enjoy seeing them when I am in Arizona so I know what you mean. There is a certain beauty as long as you are not getting hit.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Would I be able to here them from the coast?
No. Pay a visit to Arizona during monsoon season and you'll see vertical lightning.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 AM

And I thought Arizona receive less rain than San Diego.Monsoon season WoW!!!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Where? In Ca., we rarely have thunderstorms. Haven't had one since we moved here over a year ago. Have felt one small earthquake and it was barely a tremor.
I was thinking the same thing: In CA there are rare Thunder storms, but nationally, thunderstorms happen almost daily, someplace. I answered thunderstorms, not thinking, until I answered the OP might be referring to in CA. only.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 AM

252 posts, read 580,726 times
I am really scared of thunderstorms rather than earthquakes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego