Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM

57 posts, read 180,121 times

Advertisements

Do you recommend renting and living in Vista? Is it a safe area? I'll be working in Carlesbad. how is rent prices and traffic situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM

384 posts, read 980,913 times
Your best bet would be to rent south of the 78 freeway. The more unsavory areas for renting are north of the 78, but at the same time, there are pockets of gorgeous estates, too.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Rent in Carlsbad. There are some decent apartments and the prices in some won't be over the top. You'll like your life a whole lot better too.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM

384 posts, read 980,913 times
But don't despair if you have to live in Vista. It has a really cute downtown area that has nice shops. There's the one-of-a-kind Yellow Deli, built by hand by woodworking cultists, the Little Cakes cupcake shop that won on the Cupcake Wars tv show, the Avo theatre, Krikorian movie theater, Wave waterpark, Frazier Farms natural grocery, Yoga, Mother Earth brewary, Urbn pizza, and more. This is all off the Vista Village exit. And, there's a great farmers market on Saturdays in the courthouse parking lot that pretty much equals the Hillcrest farmer's market. Supposedly it was the first farmer's market in the county. There's a lot of charm and authenticity in Vista, but seedy areas, too.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 PM

300 posts, read 329,435 times
Unless you've been here awhile, pass on renting in Vista. It's got good areas, and bad areas, and one really bad aspect - it has the county jail.

That jail not only houses inmates, but also attracts folks associated with the inmates...so do your due diligence on any area you're going to move into. I've lived here, on and off for over forty years. I was born in Bonsall, and I'm pretty familiar with the area, what's happened to it, and I have a pretty good idea where it's going.

There's a reason I'm leaving the state.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
There's two places in vista to live. South of the 78, live in shadow ridge and the associated areas. Melrose/shadowridge and everything in the circle that's southwest, south and southeast of Rancho Buena vista. It's all pretty much in the shadowridge area.

North of the 78? Live north east off buena creek rd. That's if you have kids and the income for a big house.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 PM

204 posts, read 641,924 times
I've lived in Shadowridge Vista for 5 years and I think it's a fantastic value. In some cases, for what can be the price of a condo/apartment in Carlsbad you can get into a house in Shadowridge. It's very pretty, close to the ocean and the rents/mortgages are lower than Carlsbad. I never really cross over the 78 except to go to the movies or grab a bite to eat and find it pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego